• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Breath of Fire is your favorite from the series?

• I

Votes: 6 2.1%
  • II

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • III

Votes: 112 39.9%
  • IV

Votes: 71 25.3%
  • V

Votes: 42 14.9%
  • VI

Votes: 3 1.1%

• Total voters

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Which Breath of Fire from the series did you like the best? What are your reasons for picking a particular one over the others? And I'm only including 6 to cover all bases. ;)

Bof2Wall-e1578049058254-640x381.jpg

4b8a6054d4a66cc09649c81ab1a92a27.jpg

1183546281575885852.jpg

d5ujlal-386ad9b9-3f5e-4b02-8555-ea89a33ff8cb.jpg

Breath-of-Fire-6.jpg

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quarter's ending had me weeping, so, that one.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Voted 3, but I never got very far into 4, because my PS3 YLODed and I lost my save :(

Seda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
3 is probably my favorite from a 'game' perspective for a more standard RPG, though some of the mechanics behind the trainers is a little tedious.
4 has a fantastic artstyle, a pretty good localization, and probably my favorite iteration of Nina.
5 is one of the most interesting games I've played, and it's not quite like much else. It's really weird and really cool.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
IV had the best vibes and aesthetics and I loved Fou Lu as a kid, but Dragon Quarter is a legtit 10 and a game waaaay ahead of the curve.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't played Dragon Quarter yet (will do it when I do my next BoF run for sure), but III takes it. It's not the best game because that's BoFIV, but I have too much nostalgia for it to vote otherwise.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
1 and 2 are the only ones I've finished.

I really like 2. Still get that battle theme in my head randomly to this day.

It's a travesty we don't have a BOF collection.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Don't make me choose between 4 and 5. Both amazing games, but for completely different reasons.

Oct 31, 2017
Okay Dragon Quarter had a fun combat system and good atmosphere but I'm not seeing how it's an amazing game

Soundtrack was weak (yes, I said it, this is a genuine opinion. It's weak)
Visuals are butt ugly
Story is very "meh"
Characters are forgettable

Not to mention the fact that it kind of requires you to restart at a certain point so that the game isn't annoying

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Three for sure. Four second. Dragon Quarter third.

I wish the first two games received better localizations..

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of Fire 1 holds up pretty well IMO. Been playing that on and off via the Switch Nintendo Online (Ngl, I think the save states help me enjoy it more). BoF 1 was one of my favorite rpgs as a kid. But BoF 4 is for sure my favorite in this series. Sublime sprite art, great soundtrack, great villain. I also am on team BoF V is a masterpiece. While the design choice of having you replay the game from the start to get more powerful is at first annoying. It really clicks when you make it back to the point you originally wiped your game on, and completely demolish through the boss/dungeon that gave you trouble in the first place. Would love an HD port. Capcom pls.

My rankings are

BoF 4 >> BoF 1 >> BoF 5 >> BoF 3 >> BoF 2

Last edited:

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
1 is honestly not a great game, but I remember it fondly since I played it as a young child. 2 is probably better but isn't quite as memorable to me...it feels more generic somehow.

Never played 3 or 4. Are they still worth playing today?

5 is a bit too much for me. Never got into the groove.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I like 3 just a tiny bit more than 2. They're both very good games but I think III aged better than II did due to II's absolutely ass translation.

IV has very high highs but it's also very boring for long stretches, and I just couldn't get into V, even though I respect it as the genesis of Dead Rising.

Cyrus_Saren

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
III is one of my favorite games of all time. Nostalgia is probably the main cause for that one but the OST is something I still listen to regularly and I just find going through it to be comforting. I actually played it recently and still find that it holds up well despite the fact that there are a lot of mini games to go through.

I wish I still had Dragon Quarter so I could give that a proper shot as it flew over my head when it was first released. I have the case still but no game. No idea what happened to it.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
3 has a really laid back vibe unlike any RPG I've ever experienced, so I'm inclined to say that. Playing it is like coming home.

Dragon Quarter's probably one of the most meticulously designed games I've ever played, though. Either that or 4 is my runner up.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The first two were the ones I have the fondest memories of. Of that I'll have to go with 2. I loved that fusion system they expanded upon from the first. Also there is an improved translation for it.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
To date, I've only played 1, 3 and 4 (but I have 2 and 5 on the shelf).
Although I enjoyed my time with 1, it's just too dated to really be in the running.
3 and 4 are close but 3 wins due to the fact that I prefer the sprite work in it to 4 and the dragon gene fusion system was super cool.
I think I like the story and characters of 4 a hair more though.

Lawr

Banned
Sep 17, 2018
Can't decide between BoF II and IV. 2nd entry is in my top 5 list of 16-bit RPGs and IV is a timeless beauty with visuals that age well.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
honestly an impossible question. gun to my head, i pick 3 for nostalgia and good times sake, but between 3, 4, and Dragon Quarter, its like asking which kid you love most. theyre all wonderful in their own way.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Was hard to pick, first i was going to chose 3, but 4 has aged well imo, still looks very nice, and i liked the world/ost/story more. And i know many love BoF 5, but after playing 4 it was such a shock to play 5...

I wish we would get remaster, or just a port to a switch or something from old BoF Games.

Smithy

Oct 25, 2017
every now and then, a Breath Of Fire thread is poppin' up. Makes me happy to be honest. Voted for 4. Even though 2, 3 and 5 were really awesome as well. Don't forget the golden rule - 6 doesn't exist

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Beat 2/4. Never could get into the first. Got to the desert in 3 and got stuck. I was told to stay the hell away from 5 (although people always seem to come back and enjoy it nowadays)

4 > 3 > 2 >

I replayed 4 a lot.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I can't understand the ranking of 3 over 4. Not trying to say other people are wrong, I just literally can't see it. Disclaimer: I played each game for the first time on vita so I don't have a perspective on the games when they initially came out, but from a modern view 4 is just better than 3 in nearly every way.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Spoilers ahead.

BOF3 has one of my favourite video game stories ever. Whenever I replay it I find myself amazed at how well crafted the plot and characters were, even while if you look at the plot on a sheet it has all the hallmarks of generic fantasy.

Its biggest strength is really having well written characters who are easy to like, and the animators really helped with some absolutely charming animations (in battle, idle and special case) for them. The battle animation with Ryu timidly waving his sword with his eyes closed, which you see for a big chunk of the early game suddenly changing to a new animation when he has to protect Nina was particularly well thought out, and subtly implemented.

The game doesn't make any big deal about this, it just happens in battles that come after this event. A small thing, but Breath Of Fire III excels at doing these kinds of things, and this - as well as the nature of the story - really fleshes out the characters, and kept me interested in a game with pretty bad random encounter rates and a rather questionable design decision (desert of death section).

So I was saying how great the characters are. The best of all is Rei, who starts off as a seemingly devil-may-care orphaned teenager who is barely making ends meet stealing bits and bobs. When he finds the main character of BOF3 being attacked by wolves, he rescues him and pretty much adopts him, much like he did with his friend Teepo. Later in the game the three are broken up, all assuming the others dead. When the main character eventually finds Rei again, it turns out Rei has been targeting the organisation who attacked them. Rei is only just keeping it together at this point, his usual happy go lucky act barely shielding the despair within, and he finds it the height of irony that the main character killed the people chiefly responsible years earlier, and his actions were in vain - there's once again a great special-case animation used here for this. He's a fantastic character in a fantastic game, and he's my fave rpg character ever.

Even the bad guys are great, like Balio & Sunder, evil unicorns who endlessly chase the protagonist in the early part of the game to sell him off. Another little touch is used to flesh them out - a creepy horse bray of a laugh that plays in their cutscenes, one of the very rare voice samples to play outside of battle, but beautifully used.

There's also a "master" system, where your characters can be assigned to different masters, who can teach you skills, and - more importantly - affect your stat gains when you level up. This system made me replay the game more than I otherwise may have, as it's quite fun to push the main character along warrior/mage build paths.

And all of this happens with the backdrop of a superb Jazz influenced BGM by Yoshino Aoki & Akari Kaida that is my favourite JRPG BGM ever.

So yeah, BOF3. Very possibly the best JRPG ever made too, it's this or PDS. Probably this.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I've played all of them except for IV (which I have but didnt get to yet).

II is my most favorite by far and Dragon quarter is my least favorite cause of its gameplay design.

Excluding DQ - I would say III is my least favorite, just felt grindy and slow - also the mini games/puzzles didnt help.

II I love for the story, characters and the combat. Music is nice too (though I found DQ's OST to be the best out of the entire series).

I've played/own/beaten the following

-Breath of FIre I (SNES)
-Breath of Fire I (GBA)
-Breath of Fire II (SNES)
-Breath of Fire II (GBA)
-Breath of Fire III (PSP)
-Breath of Fire IV (PS3)
-Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter (PS2)

Wish they would re-release the games, doesnt matter if its PS4, Switch or PC - though would prefer it to be on PC.

Is this the game where you can build a town with all of your followers?

II, III and Dragon quarter does that for sure.

Not sure about IV since I havent played it but I does not have the mechanic.

II does it with humans

III does it with faeries

Dragon Quarter does it with some sort of Ant type race.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
BOF3 is really special. But I have more fondness for 4. I replayed that game so much and I will still do. Time to bring out my Vita and play them again I guess.

Not sure about IV since I havent played it but I does not have the mechanic.

What are you waiting for. Play 4 now. Also it also has a town building thing with faeries.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
IV is the best of all of them. Fou Lou is masterclass character.

6 is an abomination and shouldn't be mentioned.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
BOF3 is really special. But I have more fondness for 4. I replayed that game so much and I will still do. Time to bring out my Vita and play them again I guess.

What are you waiting for. Play 4 now. Also it also has a town building thing with faeries.

I will! Just playing a few other things at the moment :P

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I've played all of them except for IV (which I have but didnt get to yet).

II is my most favorite by far and Dragon quarter is my least favorite cause of its gameplay design.

Excluding DQ - I would say III is my least favorite, just felt grindy and slow - also the mini games/puzzles didnt help.

II I love for the story, characters and the combat. Music is nice too (though I found DQ's OST to be the best out of the entire series).

I've played/own/beaten the following

-Breath of FIre I (SNES)
-Breath of Fire I (GBA)
-Breath of Fire II (SNES)
-Breath of Fire II (GBA)
-Breath of Fire III (PSP)
-Breath of Fire IV (PS3)
-Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter (PS2)

Wish they would re-release the games, doesnt matter if its PS4, Switch or PC - though would prefer it to be on PC.
1 and 2 are available with the switch's online service.

Polaris

Oct 29, 2017
Twin Cities, Minnesota
The battle animation with Ryu timidly waving his sword with his eyes closed, which you see for a big chunk of the early game suddenly changing to a new animation when he has to protect Nina was particularly well thought out, and subtly implemented.

This is one of the reasons why I love BoFIII so much. It's a nice subtle change that the game doesn't feel the need to to beat you over the head with it.

Also the OST deserves special mention for its use of jazz as a basis for the soundtrack.

Also, Peco is pretty dope.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what bothers me more... the fact that "6" is being acknowledged by the poll or that someone voted for it...

Anyway 3. I like time jumps. 4 is close though.

DragonKeeper

Nov 14, 2017
3 is my favorite followed closely by 4. 5 was an interesting experiment and I wish more RPGs used its combat system.