• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 18, 2020
WEST ELM! IF YOU ARE FURNITURE SHOPPING, NEVER EVER BUY YOUR FURNITURE FROM WEST ELM! Or any of their affiliated companies (Williams-Sonoma, Pottery Barn, etc.) YOU WILL GET SCAMMED!!!

I ordered a $1000 couch online back in April, and they never shipped it. Constant bullshit excuses and lies from customer service. Took TWO MONTHS of non-stop calling and legal threats to finally get a full refund.

In fact, on the website they still have it "Ready to Schedule," seven months after I ordered it 🤣 :

gFliYsw.png

I ordered a different couch from Article.com and it arrived in two days. Night and day from this terrible company. There's a good reason why West Elm doesn't enable reviews on their website.

Last edited:

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Apple, mostly because of iPhone battery issues.

My iPhone after 2 years suddenly went from 40% charge to like 0% in 1 hour of not even using it.
My wifes iPhone after around 2 and a half years had the same problem.
Also I couldnt update mine after like 2 years to the newest iOS (was a 5s).
My brothers iPhone battery also broke and he could only use it with a portable battery.
My iPad 2 I bought in 2011 I think also was unresponsive after around 2 years of usage. After around 4 years everything that was smooth at release feels now like a 2002 laptop.

Not to mention the quality of their cables...

For a tablet I now have a Surface from 2016 that still runs like it runs on the first day.
My mobile phone is an Oppo that I bought 2 and a half years ago, is still getting updates, still runs as fast as before, no battery issues, the original cable still works.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I've been wary of BestBuy since an issue my Dad had there a few years back. Bought a thousand dollar TV that crapped out in six months. Only gave him like half that in store credit back.

Why would Best Buy do anything at all after 6 months? You're halfway through a lot of manufacturer warranties at that point.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Apple, mostly because of iPhone battery issues.

My iPhone after 2 years suddenly went from 40% charge to like 0% in 1 hour of not even using it.
My wifes iPhone after around 2 and a half years had the same problem.
Also I couldnt update mine after like 2 years to the newest iOS (was a 5s).
My brothers iPhone battery also broke and he could only use it with a portable battery.
My iPad 2 I bought in 2011 I think also was unresponsive after around 2 years of usage. After around 4 years everything that was smooth at release feels now like a 2002 laptop.

Not to mention the quality of their cables...

For a tablet I now have a Surface from 2016 that still runs like it runs on the first day.
My mobile phone is an Oppo that I bought 2 and a half years ago, is still getting updates, still runs as fast as before, no battery issues, the original cable still works.
I had the same problem with my Nexus 6P, and the batteries of my Nexus 5 and Galaxy Nexus prior to that also exploded and bulged out the phones. I think batteries made during those years just weren't reliable.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
Apple, specifically their mobile devices.

My sister recently got an iPhone 12 Pro, and I was tasked with moving her photos from her old Android phone to the new iPhone. A few problems with that:

1. I tried to just drag and drop the files from a backup, but it turns out you can only read data from an iPhone using MTP.

So I downloaded iTunes onto my sister's laptop, copied the backup to an external hard drive, connected the drive to her laptop, and tried to copy the files from there, but:

2. iTunes doesn't keep subdirectories when you sync photos. My sister doesn't care, but annoying nonetheless.

At this point I've copied some of the files to her phone (the external drive isn't big enough to store the whole backup) I deleted the old files from the external drive and copied the rest of the backup to it, then tried to sync the files to her phone. And this is the killer:

3. When you sync files to an iPhone, iTunes deletes from the phone every file that's already been synced if they aren't present on your computer. Moreover, if you use a different PC to sync, everything gets deleted from your phone as well.

Supposedly this is due to Apple's philosphy that your phone should be an extension of your PC. To which I say, bollocks! I get to decide how I organize my files, thank you very much! And this isn't even considering Apple's trash stance on device repair.

gappvembe

Oct 27, 2017
But why would anyone buy a Nissan Cube on purpose? I mean... just look at it. Why?
🙄 yes I liked the look of it.
I like unique looking cars.
Beyond its internal failures, worst I could say about it was it wasn't great in the snow. The interior was huge. It had more cup holders than I've seen (best ones were by the upper left air vent). Also had surprisingly good gas mileage for it's shape. The replacement, what I am driving now, is a Jeep Renegade, not really much different form factor wise.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I have some obsessive tendencies, so it's extra damning when a product breaks on me, because usually the things have hardly a visible fingerprint on them.

So add HP to the pile. A lightly used HP inkjet (I mean used once every two months or so for a year-ish) shitting out for no reason was finally my breaking point to get a compact laser printer (a choice I heartily recommend to everyone), and recently, my expensive HP Envy laptop's monitor just aggressively snapped off because I had the audacity to...gently open it. So here I'm sat with an i7 laptop with a 1TB hard drive that's a brick. Never again with them.

A smaller one, but UrbanEars is on my shitlist recently. The ear cup of their Plattan headphones split open on me -- I think these things had been out of the house once, back when air travel was a thing? Roughly a year old. When I contacted them, they said, "we won't replace the ear cup, but how about 10 percent off a brand new pair? How would you like to reward us with more money for a product that failed you?" I went Koss, which has a lifetime warranty, and haven't looked back.

Oct 25, 2017
Samsung can get fucked. Tvs washers laptops dryers fridges dishwashers have all sucked shit and made me spend hours trouble shooting for family.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I love Sony generally. I still have a 20+ year old Sony receiver, which is ready for a replacement, but it's been great. Sony consoles great. 61 inch rear projection TV was great. My aftermarket Sony car stereo was crap. My factory Sony car stereo is crap.

Sony car audio in my experience is crap.

Samsung can get fucked. Tvs washers laptops dryers fridges dishwashers have all sucked shit and made me spend hours trouble shooting for family.

I have a 51 inch Samsung TV that I bought in 2009 and I'm still using it.

Caveat: The power supply went bad and was replaced in the warranty period. It failed a second time and I personally replaced 7 capacitors on the power supply and fixed it myself. Third fail, I had 3 capacitors on hand and replaced the ones I could and after a failed startup and some solder cleaning, the TV worked again.

Next time,it's getting replaced.

ArtTeitlebaum

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Acer - I work for a school district and had to deal with so many shit Acer products over the years. Hundreds of Acer Chromebooks that were treated like shit by kids and literally fell apart from the inside. Monitors that would burn out and die within a year. Laptops that barely work and have more driver issues than I've ever seen on any computer before. I will never buy an Acer product for myself or ever recommend them to anyone.

That's my experience with them as well. Two Acer Chromebooks died shortly after the two year mark without warning out of the blue.
Never again.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
Ford and Harley Davidson. I've never actually owned a Harley, but I'm from Daytona where you'll find more garages with Harleys than without. My dad, step-dad, and brother have all owned Harleys at one point. I have not once heard a story from someone who didn't regret their purchase.

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Pepperidge Farm had a US distribution deal on Tim Tams, and for a whole glorious year (or so) you could buy them in basically any US grocery store.

Nowadays I will wander through the Pepperidge Farm section just to check, and I'm always disappointed ;_;

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I will never buy another HP laptop.

I bought two of them in a row many years ago, and they both failed within a year due to faulty hinges. One of them was so bad that the bezel literally tore off from the screen because the right side hinge wouldn't move, and the other simply couldn't open anymore at all without deliberately breaking it.

Also had bad experiences with OnePlus phones. The first one I tried (OnePlus 5) had a jelly scrolling problem where the screen would appear to stretch and shrink while you're scrolling, which I ended up returning it because it started giving me headaches. Then the second OnePlus phone I tried (OnePlus 7 Pro) had horrible Wi-Fi issues where it would appear to be connected fine but it would never be able to load a webpage or do anything related to the internet. This would continue until you turned Wi-Fi off and then back on, and it would happen several times a day. Returned that one too.

Deleted member 11173

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't trust Samsung devices as my "daily driver" phone, from set up hundreds of them and using one personally there always seems to be LTE to 5G handoff issues or LTE to LTE-A hand off issues with the devices that really affect call quality.

The Note 10 was especially bad at this. I currently have the Note 20 Ultra, it seems to be better, but very similar issues persist that I havent really experienced on an iPhone.

Car repairs - only real oem parts, I've been burned too much in the past from body pieces fitting funny, or just other general failures.

Nothing else really stands out, I am nit picky and when I find something I like I generally stick to the brand.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
IMO, shit can happen to any brand/product so a bad experience isn't enough for me to write any company off. that said, i do go with a 3 strikes rule before getting on the "shit list".... the list so far:

• Delta Airlines (Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport)
  • Google (anything outside of gmail/gsuite is unreliable since they just kill products/services when they get bored of it)
  • Dodge/Chrysler vehicles

Haribokart

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never buy anything Xbox branded again. Had too many faulty consoles as have my friends, a few accessories fucked up for no reason and just last week my friend's new Series X broke. Awful products with zero QA.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
Any online service that will not let you cancel without calling, New York Times and Constant Contact, I'm looking at you.