• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Virgin Media broadband!! The worst company I have had to deal with ever. It's a good thing I went for a monthly rolling contract and cancelled after a short while.

The Internet stopped working for hours and days at a time. Their engineers sometimes never showed up for a scheduled visit. When they show up they say all is fine and go back. And worst of all their telephone support outright lie. They make claims about how they have made some changes and now the connection will be perfect etc. You get sent from one person to the next in a frustrating merry-go-round and its very hard to get to speak to someone senior or local. They told me I was not allowed to speak to a technical expert. I don't blame the telephone operators for not being able to solve problems - they don't have a clue what is happening with the network just like their customers don't. But they must be told to appease the callers and say whatever keeps them happy because the have no solutions and don't know what is happening. In the end I managed to speak to an operator from the UK who said there is nothing they can do to solve the problems and he was understanding when I decided to end the contract. That was nice of him.

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seagate external HDs. I have owned two and both failed. The only HDs I have ever had fail btw. They lasted around a year each. I haven't owned one in around a decade and I have sworn off the brand entirely.

Worked IT in college doing deployments and refreshes at the start of semesters.

Seagates were tremendous pieces of shit. Slow as fuck to spin-up and clone. Horrible track record with failures and replacement. Only beaten in the shitness department by Hitachi DeskStar drives.

WD drives on the other hand tended to run faster and remain stable at the same level of use and age. I pretty much shy away from using any other brand if I need to use a mechanical drive on one of my machines.

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust any brands. But I've had bad experiences with a few that have led me to not give them any more money- Sony for TVs, Nissan and Chrysler+Dodge for cars, Apple for mobile devices. It's a shame about Sony because they were legendary with their Trinitron TVs. Post-CRT world they are really bad.

Seagate external HDs. I have owned two and both failed. The only HDs I have ever had fail btw. They lasted around a year each. I haven't owned one in around a decade and I have sworn off the brand entirely.

Seagate is an absolute no-go for me. They had a coupe of year of HDDs in the mid-00's that were abysmal. Failure rate was 100% for me. I had two. Both died. They sent me replacements. Both died. After that I said "fuck it", went back to mostly WD and the Japanese brands like Hitachi.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Sony. More specifically the PSN part of Sony. I have had so many issues with my PSN account over the years that I am at the point where I will stop buying Sony consoles before I even think about going heavily digital with them. Out of all the accounts I have all over the internet only Sony seems to show an inability to properly secure my account.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tennessee Pride is much worse than Jimmy Dean when it comes to breakfast products.

In my experience.

silentg

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Can't believe I'm the first to mention RyanAir. Every flight we've had with them there has been some problem. Stuck in boarding lounge, changing gates, flights cancelled and amalgamated...

Oct 25, 2017
México
Fuck NISSAN.

2010 Nissan Cube

The transmission was changed May 2014. First they tried some valve or what not, but then ended up changing the whole thing. Under warranty.

Around 98,000 miles (late January early February 2015) it did that familiar 'surging' thing again. I was scared to drive the car as it was icy out, and when it would 'surge' it would speed up on some slippery road, which was not safe, so I couldn't put it off no more, I had to have the dealership look at it.

When I took it in they looked at it for a while and they didn't really determine anything. What they did do was update the transmission software, cleared the SES light and told me to drive it for a week, and if it didn't clear up they would change the transmission again.

Well it didn't last a week. I had it looked at on a Thursday, drove it Friday to and from work (about 60 miles), and then Monday on my way home it died. It wouldn't restart. So I had to wait for towing (which I paid for not Nissan, $140). I had it towed directly to Nissan and waited for a call.

Well they looked at my car (this is Feb. 10, 2015). Bad news. It's not my transmission, it's my engine. Cylinder 4 is not firing (or compressing, I don't remember the wording now). My engine is not under warranty (I think that was up at 60,000 miles). So they have two options for me, a new engine that will cost me $7,000+ or a used one with 45,000 miles that costs $3,400 +/-.

So Feb. 21, 2015 I get a call. Good news and bad news the service manager says. Bad news, they won't have my car done until tomorrow and they found another problem. The good news is that it won't cost me anything. They found a leak from the transmission. They tell me that they have one on the way and are replacing it (that's right, 2nd one in less than two years).

I just confused how a faulty transmission, wouldn't screw up an engine.

Mid-January of this year, again my transmission was acting up. At 123K miles, just 3K miles out of warranty, transmission was slipping and would need to be replaced. 3rd one in less than 3 years. I traded it in. No Nissans again, or CVTs for that matter.
But why would anyone buy a Nissan Cube on purpose? I mean... just look at it. Why?

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Samsung:
LCD tv died just after the warranty expired. Apparently a common power supply issue.
Washing machine died after less than 4 years.
Dryer has lasted a bit longer but you have to do time dry only because the dryness sensor is shot & it cuts out long before clothes are actually dry, plus if you have bulky items they can push the door outward not enough to unlatch it, but just enough to stop the cycle. So we're forced to dry in smaller loads.
Dishwasher: flood sensor is too sensitive. If you're not meticulous with cleaning the drain filter, eventually just enough water will collect to trip the flood sensor, and when that happens the drain pump runs perpetually whenever the unit has power. So you have to unplug or cut the circuit breaker until you can get the unit dried out. This happened after less than 2 years.
YUP. Never getting a Samsung TV again. These garbage streaks started to appear, along with random flashes. The smarthub crashes all the time. Just a piece of junk all around. And their customer service was incredibly unhelpful. All in under 2 years too. I have a smaller version of the same TV that while the picture quality isn't bad, the screen gets all distorted randomly.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I've been wary of BestBuy since an issue my Dad had there a few years back. Bought a thousand dollar TV that crapped out in six months. Only gave him like half that in store credit back.

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I don't trust French cars (Peugeot and Renault). They seem to be among the least reliable car brands.

Oct 29, 2017
Apple used MacBooks. Every single MacBook Pro I've bought used has failed within a month or 2. If you can't get AppleCare then don't trust it, Apple used to have ALOT of hardware issues back around 2010-2012
I had massive issues with my 2011 MBP. Those three years you mentioned were terrible for Apple.

I also want to mention Razer. Their quality is some of the worst I've seen with more expensive keyboards. I've had good luck with all of my Logitech purchases.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017

Yuuup. I had a Seagate drop dead for no reason and had to pay $1200 to recover it because it was years-worth of vacation photos and at that time I was too lazy to make secondary backups (which I do now religiously). That $1200 was after a 15% discount too; I used the vendor my company uses and they were nice enough to extend it to this job.

Never again.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have had really bad experiences with GM cars.

Samsung appliances have been shit in my experience. I like their TVs though and their phones seem pretty reliable from what I can see from my friends.

Most budget airlines are really pretty horrible in my experience. Spirit, Allegiant, etc.

Every cable or satellite company that I have ever used.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have had really bad experiences with GM cars.

Samsung appliances have been shit in my experience. I like their TVs though and their phones seem pretty reliable from what I can see from my friends.

Most budget airlines are really pretty horrible in my experience. Spirit

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Air Canada has a rock bottom reputation for a reason. So many delays, so many rude staff members.

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Ford. My first two cars were hand-me-down Ford cars, a Taurus and a Ranger, from the late 90s. Both died at less than 100,000 miles and were pretty worthless before that point. I don't think anything would get me to buy an American car, actually. The first car I bought myself was a 2015 Kia Forte and it was a pretty great buy for such a cheap car. It felt cheap in terms of comfort, but was totally reliable and functional. I replaced that car with a 2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. It's been a bit more trouble than I was expecting from a Toyota but it feels totally mechanically solid and I have no doubt it'll last long after my Fords shat the bed.

Luap

Oct 26, 2017
Crest toothpaste. Their Pro Health line of toothpaste fucked up my mouth, causing dead skin to slough off from my gums and inner cheeks, and staining the inside of my teeth brown. My dentist asked me if I was a cigarette smoker because of the staining (I've never smoked tobacco or weed). And it's not just me. Go to Amazon and look up Crest Pro Health toothpaste and check the critical reviews. A lot of people complain about it burning off the top layer of their gums/cheeks and staining their teeth. When I finally found out it was all caused by my toothpaste, I was pissed and vowed never to buy Crest again.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
First post nails it, Razer stuff is just straight up brittle and none of their peripherals have lasted me very long.
Can't believe I'm the first to mention RyanAir. Every flight we've had with them there has been some problem. Stuck in boarding lounge, changing gates, flights cancelled and amalgamated...
This one as well! one silver lining of 2020 is that I haven't had the need to deal with Ryanair.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox 360 will be my last Microsoft console. Even though they did a 180 on the DRM debacle it left a sour taste in my mouth. Also there's literally no exclusives I've cared about in about a decade.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Speaking only of issues I've had multiple times, so establish a pattern:

Hewlet-Packard products, particularly printers and laptops. I imagine that's all they do now anyway.
Dairy Queen
American Airlines
Verizon

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I'm always wary of Fedex after one time I caught a delivery person leaving packages outside of the apartment building (vs getting buzzed in and leaving them in the lobby).

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is great for hardware, but they make among the worst software of any major tech company. I'll never buy a Sony product again that has functionality which relies on Sony software (for example, multiroom music streaming).

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
iu

Seagate: Multiple HDD failures, terrible customer support. I will give them credit, for finally turning me on to multiple backups.

iu

Chipotle: I should have learned after getting norovirus (confirmed by health department), and then them losing my CC info in a data breach, but I went back because I genuinely enjoyed the food, then I got sick again.

Mar 3, 2019
I had massive issues with my 2011 MBP. Those three years you mentioned were terrible for Apple.

I also want to mention Razer. Their quality is some of the worst I've seen with more expensive keyboards. I've had good luck with all of my Logitech purchases.

That graphics card/logic board era completely turned me off of macbooks for a long time. Its only recently that i have started to dip my toe back in. Without that applecare its just too mcuh of a risk for as much money as those things cost

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Razer products. Everything I have ever bought from Razer had terrible build quality and ended up dying prematurely.

Mainly bought Razer pc peripherals, maybe some of their other stuff is better?
Agreed.

It still makes me disappointed when I think about the Razer Onza Xbox 360 controller I used to have, what a piece of shit that was.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Burger King burnt my burger once and it took me about 20 years to give them another chance.

Whataburger forgot the burger in my burger about 10 years ago and they are in the same boat BK used to be in.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
sapphire is more hit or miss for me more than seagate, samsung or cooler master yet people love em.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Apple. The lack of quality in their laptops is criminal. Every time I say I'm going to move off Macs but they're best for my work. It's fucking ridiculous how often they die, batteries fail, OS updates tank a machine, etc. Awful stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Razer products. Everything I have ever bought from Razer had terrible build quality and ended up dying prematurely.

I'm of two minds, because I had a mouse from them that broke after 4 months, but they sent me a much more expensive mouse as a replacement for free, and they did it pretty quickly. So, I mean, I definitely believe they have build quality issues, but I also think they have good CS and warranty coverage.

I would probably buy another razer product even though I've had some quality issue in the past.

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
HP laptops. Never had a good one and my father loves them because of the old compaq days ...

Nov 23, 2017
I don't trust any brand because there's no reason to. Specifically when it comes to companies I won't make purchases from due to bad experiences, I'd say anything from the Wizarding World. JK Rowling is a not so good human being and I prefer to spend my money elsewhere.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017

Hmm... Wonder if they got better over the years? Some of their newer stuff has been getting good reviews from actually dedicated reviewers like RocketJumpNinja (not just the mainstream sites). I've been curious about them, but the old stigma still exists for me.

As for the thread itself, dunno. Maybe the fact that my WD portable HDD broke at the USB port and when I opened it up, it turned out the port was soldered to the drive itself? I assume that's how it's done in all prebuilt external disks, but it was my first external disk since the early 00s when I had a caddy mounted in one of the CD drive slots, with a standard HDD in it.