• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
For me that's easily Dark Souls.

The very first one, that is. I was at my buddy's place and he showed me the game, I had never given it a chance. And he couldn't beat the Taurus Demon. But seeing the game, seeing him try really made me want to try it at home as well.

And after a few tries I beat him and I was so happy because the game tends to look down on you, hard to explain but basically it can destroy your self confidence and make you think you can't beat this game. Plus I got to explore brand new areas.

Then came Capra Demon, what a fucking asshole. Don't know about you guys but as soon as boss fight starts in these games my heart automatically starts beating way too fast, maybe it's the music that does it but man....the tension is real. And each time this fuckboy killed me because of a horribly narrow area, annoying demon dogs and just barely space to move around, my confidence went lower and lower, but not giving up. Then when I finally offed that POS....the happiness was insane.

And last but not least.....and absolutely the one where my excitement went through the roof as soon as I removed that little last bit of health was Ornstein & Smaug. Yes I kinda went the "easy" way with that fight because I was using fireballs and didn't had to get too close most of the time but that's the infamous boss everyone was talking about. When I finally offed them, I jumped up from the couch and scream "hell fucking yeah" and God knows what else and I think I probably did some kind of victory dance too.

No other games really can give me this feeling of happiness, excitement, relief after having killed a boss. I can't think of many.

Now yours!

I wish I could mention a few Sekiro bosses too, but truth is, I gave up on that way too early. It seems nowadays I just don't have the patience anymore for that real challenge, I often notice how worked up and mad I get when things just don't work well, when the challenge is too great.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
When I caught a scorpion in AC after getting my ass kicked by every one I found for like a week.

Also probably when I beat Orstein and Smough.
Probably

But that scorpion though. Threw my arms in the air and screamed "YES!".

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ludwig, from Bloodborne's DLC.

BB's lore.. goes places, and the DLC reflects that, as does much of the main game. Ludwig, though, not only perfectly incorporates the later/hidden themes of the game into the fight and has some of the best music in a Fromsoft game, but it also reminds you that you are a hunter of beasts. When I first beat that boss, I screamed out of sheer elation.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I beat Orphan of Kos on my 5th try after struggling mightily with Ludwig and Maria

I felt like I simultaneously won the lottery and won a gold medal

I also beat Sigrun in God of War on my 2nd try, that was another great feeling of accomplishment

Oct 27, 2017
I remember fighting Ornstein and Smough on my NG+ playthrough and on that one I was doing it with Big Ornstein and I was really happy about beating those fucks. The biggest one was Orphan of Kos from the Bloodborne DLC on NG+++. That was hairy as fuck. I never want to hear that asshole's annoying screams ever fucking again.

Lokoline

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
The last one was Orphan of Kos I guess, used all my healing items and was one attack from dying again. Pretty intense too.

Iori Fuyusaka

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Secret boss of Kingdom Hearts III Re:Mind on Proud difficulty and it's not even close.

An incredibly well designed boss fight with 19 different patterns to recognize.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm

Probably Alma in Ninja Gaiden Black because it took me a hell of a long time to beat her the first time, like at least 10 tries. And it's pretty annoying because you have a long run to get to the boss from the save point, so when I finally beat her I was ecstatic and possibly cursed her out haha

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orphan of Kos in Bloodborne.

Hell any of the DLC bosses, I was pretty excited after beating Ludwig and Maria too.

OP
OP
Detective Pidgey

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Cuphead
Sekiro
Bloodborne
Hollow Knight
This. The double ape boss fight and the last fight.

Hollow Knight and SMT: Nocturne's true bosses also caused me to breathe a huge sigh of relief when I finally beat them.

Honorable mentions to Soulsborne games in general and Cuphead.

Oh boy, Hollow Knight?

I have been having one hell of a time with that game and put many hours into it. So far all the bosses have been doable. So they are gonna get more shit later on?

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I have to say Michael Murray, the boss producer of Tekken 7, who was soundly defeated by the highly agitated fans of the game when he finally released a major nerf patch for Leroy.

Last edited:

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Server first Illidan (or at least faction first, it's been years) back in The Burning Crusade.

That was sweet.

Oct 25, 2017
Solo? Viewtiful Joe, Fire Leo. Perfectly paced, perfectly placed.

But I can't let this question pass without also mentioning my old ragtag WoW guild's first clear of Yogg-Saron in Ulduar 25 back in WotLK. Weeks of wiping and getting it together, and there was just such a positive buzz in the air and on the channel that night, like we knew we were finally over our collective psychological block. Nailed it in two pulls.

Cuphead's bosses weren't too much of a mountain to climb for me, but I've always thought of them as the closest single-player approximation to what a WoW raid boss progression feels like, as you tidy up one manoeuvre or tactic at a time and absorb this wonderful sense of precision and fluidity by the end of it all. I had the most trouble with Grim Matchstick, which took me about two hours over multiple sessions to take down for the first time, but that's well in line with what I consider a reasonable learning process. So I wasn't ecstatic, perhaps, having seen that scale of challenge often enough before; but I was highly, highly satisfied.

Special mention to something that isn't exactly a boss: Super Mario 3D World, Champion's Road. Clearing it for the first time in co-op and under some pretty strict self-imposed house rules (no banking power-ups and lives ahead of time; random character selection) was the moment of the decade in my books.

Last edited:

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Defiled Watchdog of the Old Gods. Took me almost two weeks to beat the goddamn thing.

Meanwhile Orphan of Kos only took me a relatively small number of (extremely stressful) times.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
I forget her name, but the final Valkyrie in GoW. On hard difficulty. Took me hours.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When I defeated the GRUESOME TWOSOME in Nioh.

yuki-onna_and_oda_nabunaga_boss.jpg

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dancer, Dark Souls three. And basically every boss I beat on master system because I was a little kid back then :-)

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
The final Valkyrie in God of War. Also many bosses in Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro. But man, I actually remember jumping and yelling when I beat the final Valkyrie, which also got me the platinum trophy.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Calamity from Xenogears. I was like literally stuck on that boss for a year cause I didn't know you could upgrade your Gears. I finally was able to see the rest of the game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Caesar in Fallout New Vegas because he takes all your weapons away and you don't need to kill him to finish it. It's just a great fuck you, that you find away around his parley, especially if you play a woman who he sees as cattle. It's not a great boss, it's very satisfying in the moment to kill him, his body guards and then massacre his camp. Killed by a woman who he sees as lesser.

Dec 22, 2018
Oh boy, Hollow Knight?

I have been having one hell of a time with that game and put many hours into it. So far all the bosses have been doable. So they are gonna get more shit later on?

I reaaaaaally struggled with that last boss. That fight took me several hours over the course of two days. I will say this though. When I finally did win, the fight really "clicked" for me and I was in no danger of actually dying.

So yeah, if you put in the time and learn the boss' patterns, as well as equip the right gear, you should be able to bring it down. Just be mentally prepared to put some work in.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
For me it was Ornstein and Smough, good lord those 2 tested me in ways never before.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
PUBG solo final circle
Anor London Archers
O+S
Sif
Every Destiny hard mode raid final boss with challenges

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
The "Disciple Lorithia" fight in Xenoblade Chronicles gave me a fair bit of trouble, so I grinded Melia for a bit and managed to stun lock her in the last moment of the fight.
So in my case, it was more of a "fuck you you're finally dead" moment.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
The Queen in God of War 4. She wasn't really all that hard, I knew how to dodge all of her attacks, but executing flawlessly isn't my strong suite and she has a couple of moves that fuck you up real quick and can require some fairly quick reflexes, easily screwed if you start an attack when you should be dodging.

Felt like I was hitting my head against a wall for a while. I could've made it a bit easier for myself if I had gotten the best gear in the game but once I had started my attempts I didn't want to quit to go do that. :S

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
When I defeated the demon Prince in Dark Souls 3, with my friend sitting next to me cheering on me. It has been almost a year since I've completed the first DLC and did not play since that, so when he asked me to see the Ringed City, I struggle the best I could to regain my barely average Dark Souls "skills" on the fly, so beating that boss was a fantastic experience.

More recently, I've been replaying Dark Souls on Switch in coop with my girlfriend, and since that really not her usual type of game, any boss beaten is fantastic! Finally beating Astorias made her very happy!

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yunalesca in Final Fantasy X. What kind of jackass puts a long, unskipable cutscenes before a tough boss?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - Armstrong

Dark Souls - Ornstein & Smough

Sekiro - Demon of Hatred & Isshin, the Sword Saint

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls NG++ Ornstein + Smough

Last boss soul I needed was Ornstein for "platinum" (on Xbox) and in my previous 2 play throughs I killed Smough last, meaning no Ornstein soul for the final soul forged weapon.

well that pretty much meant I couldn't summon for help, because everyone wanted to kill Ornstein first...

so yeah, did it solo. Something like 25 attempts...

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Genichiro and Sword Saint in Sekiro for sure, such a satisfying set of fights.

Also Jecht in FFX, I played through that fight so many times, watched that cutscene over and over, just to perfect the ultimate strategy to beat him.