• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Kusanagi's design in Stand Alone Complex is the most ridiculous thing. It constantly clashes with its otherwise incredibly dry setting and restrained outfits. It would look pretty dumb even in a more fantastical setting, so the show becomes borderline unwatchable whenever she shares a scene with all the super serious dudes wearing suits in an office setting.

trDoIQ5.jpg
1iP4Ia3.png
QmRXvv8.jpg

All it's missing is a Brazzers logo.

Oct 25, 2017
Kusanagi's design in Stand Alone Complex is the most ridiculous thing. It constantly clashes with its otherwise incredibly dry setting and restrained outfits. It would look pretty dumb even in a more fantastical setting, so the show becomes borderline unwatchable whenever she shares a scene with all the super serious dudes wearing suits in an office setting.

trDoIQ5.jpg
1iP4Ia3.png
QmRXvv8.jpg

Fortunately she had much better outfits in 2nd GIG. Not perfect, but better.

862.jpg

gits-sac2-6.jpg

gits-sac2-2.jpg

Okay, not a fan of that one, but still better than season 1's default attire.
gits-sac2-8.jpg

djinn

Nov 16, 2017

trDoIQ5.jpg
1iP4Ia3.png
QmRXvv8.jpg

Yeah, I found it distractingly bad.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017

trDoIQ5.jpg
1iP4Ia3.png
QmRXvv8.jpg

LOL holy shit

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I recently got back into watching anime as an adult and have been blowing through every season of everything I can find to watch. Been going though Gundam and now I'm worried about G Gundam ugh thanks. That all looks awful.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
So women have large eyes while men have small ones, got it. That is awful and would bother the fuck out of me to the point where EVEN if it was great I wouldn't be able to watch.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Opinions and all, but I think Gurren Lagann is awesome, GTO characters are still great looking & Gunbuster is great.

Some people here crazy hate all things anime.
I absolutely love Gurren Lagann but dislike Yoko's design and even feel she is out of place, visually. It's such shoehorned fan service in a show that doesn't need it. To be fair though it's worse and utilized more often earlier in the show when it was still finding its footing and voice. And yes I remember her ridiculous outfit at the end of the final arc that seemingly made her bust double in size.

But yeah it's pretty ridiculous to say "I love this show" to shield it from substantive criticism.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorta speaking of...

KOxDM6u.png

I cant imagine this getting better with age.
This put me off ever watching that show, especially as I heard there's rape involved also, hard nope from me.

Shame because I liked TTGL when I watched it (15?) - back then I wasn't bothered by the fanservice because I was also a teen but I am a grown ass 27 year old man and I can't deal with that shit now.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I recently got back into watching anime as an adult and have been blowing through every season of everything I can find to watch. Been going though Gundam and now I'm worried about G Gundam ugh thanks. That all looks awful.
G Gundam (not part of the main Gundam universe) involves a bunch of space colonies that were once countries on Earth, sending representative Gundam fighters down to the wasteland that remains of Earth to engage in non-lethal televised combat, with the victorious country/colony being given permission to lead the space colonies for the next four years (and our protagonist Domon enters this contest using Neo-Japan's "Shining Gundam" for his own personal reasons).

The Gundams are (sometimes) supposed to look stupid. They're ceremonial. They're reflective of some future space colony's pride in their cultural identity. They're waving their country's flag with their design. They're not really any more racist than a parade float.

And G Gundam is very over-the-top and ridiculous. You must embrace the cheese to properly enjoy G Gundam as possibly one of the greatest Gundam shows.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
The Gundams are (sometimes) supposed to look stupid. They're ceremonial. They're reflective of some future space colony's pride in their cultural identity. They're waving their country's flag with their design. They're not really any more racist than a parade float.
hqdefault.jpg

G Gundam definitely has some problematic shit in it.

hqdefault.jpg

G Gundam definitely has some problematic shit in it.

Shit the series is racist and fans need to stop avoiding that it isn't.

The show is filled with Essentialism, breaking down entire ethnic groups into base traits while de-historzing non western countries as never changing ignoring social & cutural change. This is culvert racism and factos into lassa fair racism:

This gundam I posted, the Kenya gundam represents all of Africa except for Egypt. Besides for the Zebra print shit its has a Zulu Spear and Shield, if I remember right Zulu lived in South Afirca you now like 5000+ kilometers away from Kenya, as I said 3000 years of history in Egypt and what only mummies?

Lets not even get into the Mexican Gundams

Now if you enjoy the show it doesn't make you a racist but this show defiantly plays into racism and it shouldn't be dismissed considering Japans history of portraying other nations and cultures

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The pointy edged, anorexic style of Code Geass is pretty ugly, imo.

Code-geass-code-geass-30935185-500-312.jpg
Yeah but it wasn't any better when it came out. I don't think that's a case of aged badly as much as was bad to begin with.

90s CLAMP drew impossibly broad shoulders and the longest legs ever

latest
At first glance this looks like the kind of exaggeration antique statues would do for heroes and gods, going more for an impression than realism.

RPTGB

Oct 28, 2017
UK
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding ethnic stereotyping across multiple posts
Don't forget this racist design:
http%3A%2F%2Fi.kinja-img.com%2Fgawker-media%2Fimage%2Fupload%2Fs--jlD0oWbd--%2Fc_fit%2Cfl_progressive%2Cq_80%2Cw_320%2F18db8lwwce0ukpng.png

G Gundam is problematic and racist
How is it problematic or racist when every countries' Gundams get the same treatment? That African design is great from a character design point of view, striking colours, recognisable silhouette. Would an African really be offended by that? The G Gundam designs were all ridiculous and OTT.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Excusing Racism and a History of Dismissive Behavior
Shit the series is racist and fans need to stop avoiding that it isn't.

The show is filled with Essentialism, breaking down entire ethnic groups into base traits while de-historzing non western countries as never changing ignoring social & cutural change. This is culvert racism and factos into lassa fair racism:

This gundam I posted, the Kenya gundam represents all of Africa except for Egypt. Besides for the Zebra print shit its has a Zulu Spear and Shield, if I remember right Zulu lived in South Afirca you now like 5000+ kilometers away from Kenya, as I said 3000 years of history in Egypt and what only mummies?

Lets not even get into the Mexican Gundams

Now if you enjoy the show it doesn't make you a racist but this show defiantly plays into racism and it shouldn't be dismissed considering Japans history of portraying other nations and cultures
Neo-America is star shaped, with a giant neon American flag, and it's greatest weapon is the Statue of Liberty Cannon.

Neo-Sweden's Gundam is literally Sailor Moon (Sailor V, to be precise, while it's "Super" upgraded form is Super Sailor Moon).

The martial artist in the video I linked rips the head off a Gundam using a piece of cloth, catches cantaloupe-sized bullets with his bare hands, crushed a Gundam by flipping the building-sized piece of concrete it was standing on, and causes Michael Bay explosions by merely posing.

G Gundam is an exercise in absurdity, and I think trying to seriously argue that it's ridiculous stereotypes are ridiculous stereotypes, is kind of missing the point.