• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which AAA samurai/ninja romp through feudal Japan reigned supreme this gen?

• Nioh/Nioh 2

Votes: 99 7.8%
  • Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Votes: 630 49.3%
  • Ghost of Tsushima

Votes: 548 42.9%

• Total voters

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
I know, right? It feels so good after pining for these types of games for years with nothing in return.

I can only hope that their success (especially that of Ghost of Tsushima) will inspire more developers to take a crack at this setting. I think Japanese developers are especially well-positioned to try a more grounded take a la Ghost for a change, rather than injecting so many fantastical/mythical elements into the proceedings.

Yeah it's good stuff. The industry came through for once. :)

What I really want is Nioh with GoT budget, graphics and presentation but unfortunately we aren't in that timeline. I gotta say I do like the idea of a more grounded take without Yokia and such. Don't know if I might get bored of fighting them for a whole game though.

Elyian

Feb 7, 2018
They offered very different experiences, so this is really gonna boil down to what kind of Samurai/Ninja game you were looking for. Personally, I'd go with Nioh/Nioh 2, just because I'm all in for the action. Sekiro would definitely come in 2nd for me, followed by Ghost if Tsushima; but they were all great games that honestly act as highlights of the generation for me.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I think Sekiro takes the crown, but don't get it twisted, all four games are fucking stellar.
Personally, Nioh 2 and GoT are very close runners-up

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
The answer is Nioh 2 by a country mile. I'm starting to think no one has played it in this thread.

I platinumed both Nioh and Nioh 2, still gotta go with Ghost because it's more in line with what I want. But all three games are close though like, 9.9 vs 10.0 kinda thing. They all satisfy various aspects of the theme though, couldn't be happier.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
I know, right? It feels so good after pining for these types of games for years with nothing in return.

I can only hope that their success (especially that of Ghost of Tsushima) will inspire more developers to take a crack at this setting. I think Japanese developers are especially well-positioned to try a more grounded take a la Ghost for a change, rather than injecting so many fantastical/mythical elements into the proceedings.

Indeed. I would also like to see more games during the Bakumatsu, most of these tend always to focus during the Sengoku Era. Where are my Shinsengumi boys at???

Also the answer to the thread is Sekiro

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ghost is not very good imo. the quest design is very... oh, and the combat is not very well executed imo. i'm quite disappointed as i was more excited for it than tlou2. haven't played nioh so sekiro for me, which was an amazing game.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Nioh and sekiro are so difficult for me to the point of not being enjoyable. Love GOT though

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting to play GoT on PS5 so for now my vote goes to Sekiro. Ni-Oh 2 didn't improve as much as I wanted it to over the fist game.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
nioh and sekiro aren't really romanticizing feudal japan in the same way as GoT or yakuza ishin.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
In terms of samurai atmosphere and lore
1. Ghost
2. Nioh 1
3. Sekiro

In terms of gameplay all are very great and a hard pick
1. sekiro
2. Nioh 1
3. Ghost

In terms of action game with just a samurai skin
1. Sekiro
2. Nioh
3. Ghost..

Best Samurai game for me
1. Ghost
2. Sekiro
3. Nioh 1

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I think I will go with Sekiro. The combat in Sekiro is too good. The focus on a single weapon and utility items just gave me the best samurai ninja out of the three.

All three games are really great on its own right though.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Nioh 2 but the first was great. That said Sekiro is the answer. GoT is pretty dull compared to the other two.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but also a ton of, and far more rabid, Sony fans. Plus GoT just came out a few weeks ago so hype is strong
But that's the thing, it's still smaller as Sekiro is Multiplatform and PC, where it found a nice audience.

Sekiro is also tested. It's been out for awhile and won multiple GOTY.

GoT still has new game sheen. Will it lasts?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I find the Nioh games unappealing to me for one reason or another, never really played either.

Ghost of Tsushima was a very enjoyable open world type game, I liked it more than I thought I would. But Sekiro is on another level for me, it is in fact my favorite From game. Ultimately, they're both different games aiming for different things. This comparison is superficial and banal to be honest.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza Ishin. Seriously. Its an amazing game AND super fan service for a Yakuza fan like myself. Its also the game where I properly learned Mahjong. So its got a lot of fond memories.

But of the three listed - Sekiro for sure. GoT has the looks, but I just adore Sekiro's combat more than the other two games. Love the level of challenge, the late game enemy and boss encounters, adore the final boss and the second Owl fight... Oh, and the stealth actually feels like it serves a better gameplay purpose in Sekiro, unlike Ghost where I really dislike it.

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
I'm enjoying GoT more just because of the great open world. Made it to the final boss of Sekiro and dropped off.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
GoT followed by Nioh follow by Sekiro.

Nioh has the best gameplay by far of the three, GoT has the best world, Sekiro is... something.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
Nioh has the deepest gameplay, but Sekiro as a whole is something else. It's so freakin polished and the fact that everything is built around the core mechanic (parry) is really fascinating.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
all 3 were lovely but Ghosts felt the most "by the numbers" and Sekiro didn't have the "freedom" of it's souls like predecessor (but the more optimistic setting did it wonders)

I like Nioh 2 the most here

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
I kinda feel bad because I think Nioh 2 might be the best game in the poll, but I just really don't like it

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I voted Nioh, i have definetly some Problems with it. The Diablo esque loot is just a pain at some point. The Blacksmith mechanic is convoluted and luck based but in terms of sheer combat fun and Depth it was a good Game. Not great but good. I came away from Nioh with the feeling that they should just do Ninja Gaiden again, because you can only evolve the Souls formula so much until it's impossible. I also think the Level Design gets a little too much flack from people it was fine.

I loath Sekiro, i think it comepletly falls apart as a Game because it tries so hard to be a Souls Game and the Parts where they decided to make it less soulsey destroy the Experience. The Combat is so incredibly one note it hurts when people compared it favourably to DMC5. You literally only parry and attack and use one of your items every 3 moons. In Essence it's a simplified Version of the Batman Arkham Combat, just with the Difference that Enemies attack faster. The Decision to not make it an RPG works also in against it, most of the Exploration falls flat because when you find something chances are high it's a stupid Candy. I like that From created a set protagonist and i like Sekiros stoic Personalty, but combining that with Souls esque vague af Storytelling didn't gel together well at all.

Haven't played Tsushima but i doubt from what i've seen that i would like it less then Sekiro.

So the Winner is: Nioh lol

catboy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that's the thing, it's still smaller as Sekiro is Multiplatform and PC, where it found a nice audience.

Sekiro is also tested. It's been out for awhile and won multiple GOTY.

GoT still has new game sheen. Will it lasts?
got will easily outsell sekiro if it hasn't already, so i don't think it has a smaller audience on here.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I havnt finished Ghost yet but it feels like the best adventure to me. Where as Sekiro has the best gameplay.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
The poll options are mostly wrong.

It should've been:

1. Ghost of Tsushima
2. Samurai Shodown
3. Yakuza Ishin
4. Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada
5. Hakuoki: Shinkai – Fuukaden

Get that fantasy Japan stuff outta here.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Nioh has the deepest gameplay, but Sekiro as a whole is something else. It's so freakin polished and the fact that everything is built around the core mechanic (parry) is really fascinating.

This is why I've been wary about getting it to be honest and why I didn't pick it up at launch. When people talk about it being like a rhythm game that freaks me out a little. I'm not sure I'm going to be a fan of one-note combat despite loving almost all other From combat I have played.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
It's Nioh 2 for me. Best combat (IMO), 60 Fps mode, Great coop/online design, character creator and transmog customisation.

It's basically everything I expect from an action game...

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
This is why I've been wary about getting it to be honest and why I didn't pick it up at launch. When people talk about it being like a rhythm game that freaks me out a little. I'm not sure I'm going to be a fan of one-note combat despite loving almost all other From combat I have played.
It isn't one-note, there are tons of prosthetic tools and skills you acquire overtime that add depth to the combat encounters. Yes, you will have to learn to parry, but the game isn't JUST about parrying. I've beaten all FROM games and I personally think Sekiro has the best combat overall. It doesn't have the same level of freedom you'd expect from Dark Souls or BB, but it isn't an action RPG either.

Apr 3, 2020
Well I don't think Sekiro and Nioh1/2 considered as AAA games/budget? But definitely no where near the GoT's budget.

Although I would say without a doubt Sekiro. To me Sekiro really nailed what makes Japanese samurai/ninja more distinctive and unique in the entertainment media. Swords clashing, blood effects, body movements.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Ghost of Tsushima > Nioh 2 > Nioh > Sekiro for me. Finished all of them except Sekiro, which I ditched at the final boss. That game was just too frustrating at times and I didn't enjoy the backtracking, boss recycling, pacing and some parts of the world that much. I had a blast with Nioh/Nioh 2, preferring the latter due to all the QoL improvements, the new weapon types and more variety in general. Ghost of Tsushima is my GOTY so far (platinumed it just last night) and one of my favorite games of this generation.

Nioh 2 has the best gameplay by far and an incredible character editor. It also comes with the best framerate out of these 3 games. Sekiro is unplayable due to its unfair fights, weird hit boxes and teribble camera. Ghost is good but chasing 2000 foxes and 5000 birds is too repetitive.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played Sekiro, GoT and Nioh 1 and I gotta give it to Nioh overall. As far as I'm concerned it had the best combat, best sense of progression and best level design. It was a joy to play through. A little short on funds right now but I'll definitely pick up the sequel one day.

GoT, while I enjoyed it, was just way too bloated with boring open world filler. The combat would have been servicable if not for the subpar camera/soft lock-on and general rps gameplay with its enemies. Definitely the prettiest of the three but also by far the weakest imo.

Sekiro is a good game, I enjoyed the gameplay and the level design a lot. The thing is, it didn't really reward exploration really well and the combat never really evolved much from when you started. Considering all the other Soulsbornekiro games where you had lots of different ways to play and approach the game Sekiro disappointed me in how restrictive it felt. I think it's the weakest Soulsbornekiro game next to Demon's Souls (though that started it all so I'm willing to somewhat give it a pass).

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Sekiro for a nice challenge with repercussions and that From stylings. Ghost for being beautiful and a fun fast paced overpowered slash fest.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I haven't played Nioh 2 or GoT, but between Nioh 1 and Sekiro, Nioh 1 wins by a landslide. Sekiro wants you to "get" its combat in order for you to have fun, but then the game is designed around you stealthing basically every common encounter in existence because you have to (and the stealth itself is mostly just OK), so when you actually do have to learn the combat in mini-boss and boss fights, it's like ramming your face into a brick wall hoping you learned something. It was mostly just an exercise in frustration for me so I dropped it pretty hard.

Nioh 1 is just sublime, though. It easily has some of the best combat mechanics of the generation and it's just fun to play around with.