• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The biggest disaster of a finale in 2019 was...

• Game of Thrones

Votes: 781 84.1%
  • The Rise of Skywalker

Votes: 148 15.9%

• Total voters

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Easily GoT. I still feel satisfied with TROS and think the movie was ok in general, the entire final season of GoT was a train wreck.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Game of Thrones just because D&D are shit writers.

Star Wars, well the reviewers carried on the tradition of having the exact opposite opinion as me and thought it wrapped up great and helped make up for the trash that was TLJ.

Where now if Rise of Skywalker was bad....that would be it, no chance for redemption. At least Game of Thrones will have a conclusion by books (eventually)

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
RoS was (imo) very good and it looks like the fanbase is at least split

GoT was universally hated

Yall gotta stop thinking in such binary terms

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Ep9 was messy and dumb but had enjoyable bits.

GoT was aggressively bad and took a giant shit over the entire series to the point where it turned the biggest show ever and its gigantic pop culture status into something no one even thinks about a few months later. It's probably seriously damaged the future series too.

Biggest show ever? Really?

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Rise of Skywalker was a mess but I still enjoyed moments and parts of it were fun, if a little dumb. I know plenty of hardcore star wars fans that enjoyed it dispite the problems.

Game of Thrones was full of terrible writing and did massive disrespect to its own universe and consistencies. I would almost believe season 8 was made by people who actively disliked the series as a joke.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Undeniably Game of Thrones. Rise of Skywalker was nothing special but with The Last Jedi being a mess I kinda knew they had no clue and expected RoS to follow suit and it did. Game of Thones was a godamn tragedy. Most of the characters and elements were there, they had GRRM in the loop they had so much talent and they just fucking wasted it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
TROS was pretty great to me. Frankly I was shocked that they managed to make such an enjoyable conclusion to the ST since I thought TFA and TLJ were OK at best.

Got on the other hand was on a pretty steady decline for at least 3 seasons, and yet the fi AL season was still shocking terrible.
It wasn't that it was rushed, it was just fucking terrible.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Based on the content is was def GoT.

But if we're talking performance it's going to be TROS. GoT broke ratings records and TROS, while still making big $, will be a disappointment at the box office.

greengr

Dec 3, 2018
As a HUGE fan of both, got and its not even close.Let me just say that i have read the asoiaf books in 2 different languages.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
TROS hurts me more but Thrones is beyond the pale.

Of course, the greatest agony of all is that George will never finish ASOIAF. Star Wars, meanwhile, has finished three times!

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Oh word it's just ONE PERSON'S opinion? Like we don't have a litany of reviews and users saying they dislike it? Get outta here.

Which is why I questioned it, because putting hyperbole aside, the viewer reviews are high 80's, social media is full of people saying they like it(even if they have some issues), and it's been out a whole two days. So I dunno, maybe leave it at least a week before jumping to conclusions based on personal opinion?
So no, I won't get outta here.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Which is why I questioned it, because putting hyperbole aside, the viewer reviews are high 80's, social media is full of people saying they like it(even if they have some issues), and it's been out a whole two days. So I dunno, maybe leave it at least a week before jumping to conclusions based on personal opinion?
So no, I won't get outta here.
I'm reading user impressions here and I, like the OP, already think it's a pretty shitty bookend to the saga. Alrighty then. :)

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
GoT. I dislike TROS but I don't hate it like I hate GoT's ending. I can at least watch the film and find enjoyment.

There is no enjoyment in the final episodes of GoT.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Game of Thrones retroactively ruined a franchise.

The Rise of Skywalker was okay.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
They fucking brought Palpatine back... in Fortnite.
Undoing all of the OT... in Fortnite.
That guy Darth Vader sacrifices himself to defeat to protect his son and bring balance to the force is revealed to be alive... IN FORTNITE.

RoS is BY FAR is the bigger disaster.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I mean Star Wars was good. GoT was a disaster, the worst finale in history. Not just the last episode, the last season. They ruined it forever.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game of Thrones was a fucking disaster. Next to that, TROS looks like a competently made piece of media.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TROS was fun to watch. I didn't felt the same watching the GOT finale.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
The show really abandoned the heart of the books, killed the person who delivers the moral message of the series, and then went back to reveling in the blood and gore. While I'm disappointed in TROS, it's not gross in the way that Game of Thrones is.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It took me a month to catch up to all of GoT just before watching the last two episodes.

Needless to say, it felt like a waste of time afterwards. Well, not completely. The battle of Bastards was superb. But that's it.

TROS on the other hand was a great movie.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Thin skin, eh? Alright, well sorry about that.

Lol you're behaving exactly like the kind of person you're ranting about in your post . Seriously @ people thread whining, this odd backlash that any negative discussion of something = toxic.. what kind of POV is that too have ? If you have nothing to contribute besides shit stirring and lecturing, Just ignore the thread and move along

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
GOT easily.

Its an amazing feat of writing to murder the earlier seasons and characters so thoroughly. Dany, Jamie, Hound, Brienne etc etc. The writers annihilated any and all goodwill from the audience.

Skywalker was goofy and almost aggresively dumb, but was carried by production, the universe and some heavy lifting from the cast. It will be disliked, but people aren't going to sour on Star Wars. Its not going to make people hate earlier movies if they enjoyed them previously.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
GOT ending killed the entire show. The spinoffs may not even survive it.

TROS is just a mediocre movie.

MadeULook

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Washington State
I can at least call ROTS a mediocre movie. It's watchable but nothing special.

GoT final season is a complete mess and it may have actually killed any chances for the spinoffs.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
RoS isn't even bad, just a bit dumb and silly at it's worst. GoT is offensively bad and retroactively makes the show seem like a waste of your time.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I mean... hmm, well the run up for both finales were already approaching levels of awful that you should have just seen it coming. It's not like TFA was any good either but ROS just nailed the coffin shut that this trilogy shouldn't have happened and Game of Thrones last two seasons were as bad as the last. It was all telegraphed off the jump. Dunno, they're each their own unique levels of awful.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
So it appears that the toxicity switched to the people on the other side of TLJ debate. I knew this would happen when it became apparent that JJ was going to retcon TLJ. This is the problem with not having a overarching story before filming episode VII.

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen TROS but it could be even worse than season 8 of GOT and it wouldn't matter because I can at least pretend all Star Wars outside the original trilogy doesn't exist and experience a complete story.