• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where's your Wii U?

• Still plugged in and actively used

Votes: 164 16.8%
  • Plugged in but gathering dust

Votes: 282 28.8%
  • Stored in a drawer/closet/box

Votes: 272 27.8%
  • Sold it

Votes: 133 13.6%
  • Never owned one

Votes: 127 13.0%

• Total voters

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
I still have mine hooked up for games in my legacy Virtual Console library and also because YouTube in the Wii U's HTML5 browser still works incredibly well.

edit: I keep forgetting that I need to check out some of the emulators when I have time.

Last edited:

ShinJohnpv

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is still plugged in, but I keep all my consoles hooked up. I will probably be giving it some attention soon to finally play through Color Splash.

The family Wii U was my kid's first console, lots of great memories, so it's lovingly stored with all of the games and accessories so he can revisit that when he gets older. (I loved the wii u too and will likely pull it out in the future, still the only place I can play xbcx)

Bonus point, his first favourite game had fellow poster ShinJohnpv in the credits!

You never told me about that! That's pretty awesome.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
Plugged in and used regularly with all my Wii U, Wii and Gamecube discs backed up to an external harddrive. It's an amazing three-Nintendo-generations-in-one console.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Plugged in, gathering dust (we still clean it of course), waiting until I can continue with X again!

Nov 17, 2017
Unplugged and under my tv. I only go back to it to play Xenoblade Chronicles X. Really just want that game on Switch so I can retire the thing forever.

danielvdell

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Feb 12, 2019
Los Angeles
I still have mine plugged in in the living room and play it at least once a month. Usually Mario Party 10, but I still have a ton of Virtual Console games and several first-party games I haven't beat (like Pikmin 3 and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze). Still making my way through Super Mario 3D World, too.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In a box in a the closet. Ever since Smash Ultimate came out there's really not much of a reason to dig it out. Although since I have installed custom firmware on it, I do need to see if there is a way to get my BoTW save off of it and onto a non-hacked switch...

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't used it in a while (Shovel Knight King of Cards was the last time) but I still have it plugged in.

Deleted member 33057

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Plugged in my little sisters room, not being used at all

The gamepad is also in bad condition. Battery is depleted and screen is messed up.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I turned mine into an emulation station so it still gets some love.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I got a crazy trade in for it the December before the Switch launch. It was like $200, or near to it. I basically got a 4+ year rental out of the thing for $100 or so bucks.
Thats what I did too. I knew once the Switch came out that I wasnt going to play it much, if ever, so I got rid of it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Still plugged in but since we bought a Switch in the beginning of this year it's gathering dust.
But we had a lot of fun with it. Great that Switch users who never owned a WiiU get a chance to play those games. Might give it to a relative or friend.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
In a storage box with some other game stuff that I'm not using, I still have all the games out on my shelf though for some reason.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Still plugged in. It has been a while since I last played it. For the period of time I had a cable box, it too the WiiU HDMI port. I used it for VC during that time. Now that the WiiU HDMI is plugged back in, I might use it sometime in the near future for Wii/WiiU gaming if I get in the mood.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Plugged in, but inactive. I've played it within the past 6 months or so, though - replayed some of Yoshi's Wooly World. Probably won't sell it unless/until Super Mario 3D World comes to the Switch. And even then, probably not until I'm able to find it for a decent price.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
I've probably bought and sold this thing like 3 times( I do dumb shit like this from time to time) until I got my hands on the Zelda model that I always wanted. Its packed away but I'm keeping it as a novelty collector item plus it's my wii player if I ever get the urge.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Mine is still plugged in. I just moved it to another room today, actually. Down to just a few games but I imagine Yoshi and DEFINITELY Tatsunoko will mean I'll never be able to get rid of it. Maybe I should look into the homebrew scene.

EX_yqPwXQAI30xD

GeekyDad

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
USA
Ours was basically a MH-playing machine until we got a Switch when they came out. My wife still wanted to play some games on it, but the kids suspect our dog took a wiz on it, as it no longer turns on.

Dec 13, 2017
Been playing through my WiiU backlog so it's still actively used and plugged in.
Still have a long way to go but some quality titles are left.

Oct 29, 2017
I got it out a few weeks ago as I was considering making it a fully dedicated emulation machine, but I've been through that whole dance before and I never end up actually playing enough older games to make it worthwhile.....I really like Miiverse when that was around and am bummed they got rid of it so there's really no reason to go back besides for a few games that haven't had switch ports for me.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Plugged in to my main TV that has PS4/Xbox etc hooked up. I have the Pad charging on the side table right next to my couch.
I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles X off and on the last 6 months.
I have several physical games on it that I've barely played like: Captain Toad, never beat 3D World, Twilight Princess, Yoshi Woolly World.
Like, I seriously need to make time to play these games - what I have played I love.

Then I've bought on Switch : TMS#FE, Donkey Kong, New Super Mario so when I get around to playing them I can just play on Switch.

I love my Wii-U. I've got a folder of about 25 virtual console games on there too that I want to get to at some point. And a couple years back I scoured the internet for eshop games I may have missed and bought all the big ones like Affordable Space Adventures etc, but haven't really played them.

Why, exactly, am I not playing all this great shit on the Wii-U??!
Too many damn games and not enough time. And RPG being my main thing, means that I'm always playing like 3-4 games that are 50-500 long lol!

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Was still plugged into two TVs (JP in bedroom NA in livingroom) until I had to lend my bedroom TV to my brother while he's quarantined with the family.

So JP will be plugged back in my bedroom once quarantine is over. Was last playing XCX on the JP Wii U earlier this year, then the NA system for my completionist Crystal Bearers run for the 10th anniversary.

While going over the JP and NA eshops a couple months ago it just absolutely kills me how good the eShop Virtual Console + Wii game library isssssss, so sad it all couldn't just be ported to Switch.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
Plugged in, I would like to play some of the titles I own for it right now, but I loaned my brother a majority of the games for it and haven't gotten them back yet.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
In a plastic storage container in the basement. Easily accessible but completely out of the way if I feel like pulling it out, like the rest of my consoles

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Plugged into my office tv with all my old systems. However it was used probably a month or so ago to revisit the Wii Us greatest exclusive: Xenoblade X

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I have no idea.

I was in the middle of replaying No More Heroes on the Wii U just before I went on a trip to Japan 2 years ago. When we got back my girlfriend's mom mentioned she had invited someone over to tidy things up. Sure, things were slightly neater than before but more alarmingly the Wii U was just gone. There's no reason it should have been moved because it was just on the shelf hooked to the TV. When we asked where it went she said she "didn't know, maybe in a box or something". Dug through every single thing in the house and couldn't find it. Asked her who she invited to clean "I don't remember". I was gone for a week and a half.

I'm fucking pissed about it. Not only did I lose the Wii U I lost the signed copy of No More Heroes too which was signed by Suda when I had visited Grasshopper Studios in Japan a couple of years ago. Suda also got Masafumi Takada, KYMG and a bunch of other people who worked on the game to sign it too. When I explained how important it was to us she got pissed off and said "What do you want me to do about it" and stormed off. It's amazing how little respect parents have for your belongings. This is a running theme through my life.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I sold mine once the Switch port of Bayo 2 was announced. Had no real reason to keep it at that point.