• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Where's your Wii U?

• Still plugged in and actively used

Votes: 164 16.8%
  • Plugged in but gathering dust

Votes: 282 28.8%
  • Stored in a drawer/closet/box

Votes: 272 27.8%
  • Sold it

Votes: 133 13.6%
  • Never owned one

Votes: 127 13.0%

• Total voters

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Plugged in because I still want to play XCX. Been holding out for a Switch port, but that seems unlikely. Can't remember the last game I played on it tbh.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Mine is in the upstairs living room, actively being played by my daughter and wife.

It's easily got $1,000+ worth of games installed on it.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting to be never played...

RG2lDwK.jpg

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Mine is in it's box sitting in the closet with all my other systems currently not being used. I tend to only keep 1/2 systems out that I'm actively playing and put the rest away to keep them from getting damaged.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Never owned one. Wii U is the only Nintendo console I haven't purchased.

i knew that console was dead on arrival, just at the moment I saw its E3 unveiling.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Sold for a PS3 early this year. No regrets, homebrew wasn't as seamless to use as I would have wanted and honestly I stop caring for it.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I have it in a box somewhere. I really should get rid of it. I'll probably never play the thing again.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I only own a Wii U at this point because it's my N64 machine. I've got all my favorites on the virtual console.

Also, Punchout on Wii.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Sold mine as soon as the Switch released with MK8 and BOTW, and emulation got good enough to run XCX. It's a shame though, I kinda wish I still had it for 3D World and Twilight Princess HD which both use the gamepad enough to make it frustrating to play emulated.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I sold it a couple years ago to a local game shop for a replacement PS3 and about 20 games. They were doing a huge sale at the time due to needing space for PS4 games and the upcoming Switch launch.

Honestly one of the best decisions I did. I got into so many franchises I missed out on and quickly found myself with a huge backlog of games that'd take me about 2 years to get through. It was great. My Wii U was nothing but a Smash machine at that point and Smash 4 wasn't exactly a great experience when all I had was online play.

Oct 28, 2017
On stand in my living room for the past three years. Once I make room for my gaming monitor inside my bedroom, I'll be using as a Wii machine.

Rama

Sep 14, 2019
Just plugged mine in last week, for the first time since 2017. I bounced off BOTW pretty hard back then but I'm enjoying it a lot more this time around. Was just about to fire it up when I saw this thread lol

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Still plugged in but haven't touched it all year. It got a lot of use as a jailbroken GBA/SNES emulation box over the past few years. Tempted to replay Super Mario 3D World but I'm going to wait for the Switch version (someday...)

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I still go back to my N64, GCN, and Wii U often. Wii U currently for Wii games while I wait on parts to repair my gamepad, but I don't see me getting rid of it anytime soon.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I left it in my mother's house. Believe it or not, she has been using it very active for the Youtube app in her TV, so she could watch home exercise videos from the TV instead of the laptop during lockdown.

Lilalaunebaer

Oct 27, 2017
In some moving box. Probably in the basement.
Didn´t feel it was worth the effort to sell, so it just sits in a box somewhere.

OP
OP
Rotobit

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The poll results are pretty interesting so far, I know the "actively using" percentage is the lowest once you add the others together but it's higher than I thought it'd be

Personally, my Wii U is finally sitting in a box after gathering dust for way too long. I modded it too, it's just my Wii U has an incredibly baffling technical fault where you need to force a shut down after powering it on the first time and turn it on again for it to work.

I'm tempted to buy another that doesn't make me worried it's going to brick every time I use it but I haven't managed to see one for less than ÂŁ40 yet.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Unplugged and the gamepad battery is dead, but otherwise in place and ready to go after a charge. Xenoblade X calls to me occasionally

Whifflebat

Oct 25, 2017
Mine is hooked up and still used. I think if Xenoblade Chronicles X is ever ported, I would likely retire it at that point.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Bought it for MK 8, with Cod and Tekken, sold it after some fun with Splatoon, bought it again for Botw and sold it again.

Worst Nintendo console by far imo

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I never had one--played only one single player game on my roommate's wiiu (TMS) and some multiplayer on occassion.

College roommate I believe had it out until Bayonetta got a switch port, has since been shoveled away.
SO's wiiu was literally collecting dust until we moved, and now just is boxed up in the back of the closet for "if I ever want to hate myself and play devil's third. Also wii games I guess."

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
once I could rip my games and play on PC...I was gone. its been 3 months. before then, it got great use as a Gamecube emulator.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
I bought a Wii U last year, got over 30 games for it and one year later it is now on one of the glass shelves I have for my consoles. Will probably be a while before I take it out again.

Jan 29, 2018
In the closet. I've actually been thinking about pulling it out since I've been nostalgic for Ocarina of Time and would rather play it on a TV than the 3DS. The thing had a pretty decent Virtual Console library.

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
Honestly, I sold mine because it took up space and I own a wii/Gamecube and every game was coming to Switch.

I do partially regret it because of virtual console and it's neat to own. Might buy one day down the road when space isn't a huge concenr.

Majadamus

Jun 3, 2019
Connecticut
Mine is plugged in. I've been meaning to get back to Super Mario 3D World before I start Odyssey. I've been failing to do so, as I've been mainly focusing on PS4 games.

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
It's in my sons bedroom as he's only 7 and we were using it as a test to see if he would play Mario Maker, Mario Kart and Zelda on it.

Since he has, we are now looking at upgrading him to a switch lite at Christmas as he said he prefers playing on the pad than the TV

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
Connected to power but currently borrowing its HDMI for TurboGrafx mini.

Long backlog, hope to finish eventually. I refuse to re-buy any of those games on Switch, when there are only minor enhancements in most cases.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
My wiiU is underneath my Atari Jaguar to let the Atari shine much more. Great coaster!

Thriftweed

Nov 2, 2017
Still plugged in next to my PS3. I think I've played all the Wii U games that I want to, but there are still some Wii games that I've not played yet so it's mostly used in Wii mode.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
Plugged in and getting way more screen on time than my Switch. Playing Metroid Prime Trilogy atm.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
It's plugged in, but almost all of my consoles are. Awful system, but it still had one or two games I played as opposed to the Switch, which is an even worse dust collector.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Donated my Wii U and all the games to my lil cousins. He's been having a blast playing Botw and Mario kart on it since especially since school is out.

It is his first videogame console too

Only downside is some of the games I have him stopped working due to disc error

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still hooked up. I play mine every now and then.

I still think there is something magical about the Wii U. I love it. I know I'm in the minority though.