• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

andshrew

Oct 27, 2017
Do you remember when Namco made and released a demo of a 60fps version of the original Ridge Racer for the PS1 just to see whether they could. I miss that Namco.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
the answer, OP, is DiRT 5. it's a solid drift-racing game, and while its handling model is a bit grippier and more realistic than Ridge Racer, it's slippy enough that the "DiRT" in the title is deceptive and arguably to the game's detriment.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
I find myself every so often just rewatching random replays from different entries in the series. The fact that there does not seem to be any interest in a revival is...disheartening. I mean, I'm sure it can't JUST be an arcade racer, but there's gotta be a way to make it happen...

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Where is Namco at all these days? I genuinely don't know what they do outside of soul calibur nowadays.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only way I really see an arcade racer making a comeback any time soon is honestly a forza spin off.

Like a forza burnout clone basically.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Daytona actually got a new entry a few years back - seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth though (did it ever leave Japan arcades?)

I've seen it at round 1 and played it, it's great! I'd say it's more of an HD remake of Daytona USA 1 than a true new entry but that's perfect for me. I think they were hoping Dave & Busters would put in a big order which didn't happen so that's probably why it was largely forgotten, I've only really seen it at a couple Round 1 locations.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
I played the hell out of the 3DS launch Ridge Racer, grear game and loved the 3D track effects.
For those who haven't, it's worth playing this 3DS version on a New Nintendo 3DS with eye tracking 3D. It's absolutely incredible to look at. Being one of the earliest games did it no favors since the 3D required you to stay stationary to get the full effect.

I have a PS5 and Dirt 5 is no Ridge Racer, so I haven't gotten any racing game for my new console, and it sucks. I'm tempted to try WRC 8 since it sounds like they've done some really good stuff with the haptics with that one.

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017

Zeiretto

Oct 30, 2017
I get sad when I think about what could've been. :( A 4k 60 HDR Ridge Racer on PS5.. Namco used to be the master of pushing a system at launch (and beyond).

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine what Ridge Racer would look like on PS5. :( If it were a launch title that would have been the first game to play.

Karsha

May 1, 2020
The racing genre seems to be dead tbh, outside of the first party exclusives like gran turismo and forza and the kart racers with mario and crash what other title sells nowdays?

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Honestly one of the strangest series absences in gaming...

...but maybe not? Arcade racers aren't nearly as popular as they were in the 5th/6th gens. I think arcades dying really hurt this genre.

R4, to me, was the peak. Never got better than that (even though I put a LOT of hours into RR5 at PS2 launch).

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
I wish that Sony gave more of a shit about BC just so I could buy Ridge Racer V or the PSP game and play it on my PS5.

Axumar

May 13, 2020
Man the PSP game was so good. Even RR6 and whatever the PS3 one is called were pretty ok.

I never played the 3DS or vita ones. I just looked up the vita one and yikes those reviews are pretty good.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody apparently heard something.

View: https://twitter.com/necrolipe/status/1571114172217282560

It says: "I thought Ridge Racer 8 for Nintendo Switch was canceled and apparently I'm wrong"

twist-m-night-shamalan.gif

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Nope. Ridge Racer is deader than A-line flares with pockets in the knees.

In fact, it's deader than that. It's as dead as F-Zero.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Can't even get RR64 on NSO+, Nintendo don't care either. :(

Funny when I think about it now, for a system that was really strong with racers... we don't have many on N64 NSO+.

Jul 7, 2021
Ridge Racer 8 on Switch does make sense. The series used to be a graphical showpiece for new systems, but that era for an arcade racer is over. The Switch however can be a pretty fine home to a Ridge Racer 6/7-like entry, as it doesn't have to be the absolute cutting edge.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Where the fuck is it, indeed.

I miss RR dearly. In a world where Ace Combat still gets a release, I do find it strange and a great shame we haven't had a proper new home RR game since 7 (let's not worry about Unbounded).

At this point I'd even take a Virtua Racing style remaster of the original Arcade game.

Is unbounded that bad? šŸ˜

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Found the game for 1,5ā‚¬, was tempted to buy it lol
As with many games that have extremely low prices, the cost of buying it is really secondary to the cost of the time that you'll spend playing it when you could be playing something better. I was in the beta for the free-to-play version of it (which was cancelled before it ever released) and it wasn't worth free.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
As with many games that have extremely low prices, the cost of buying it is really secondary to the cost of the time that you'll spend playing it when you could be playing something better. I was in the beta for the free-to-play version of it (which was cancelled before it ever released) and it wasn't worth free.

Auch, nevermind then!