• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The IP has been pretty badly handled in the west since it moved to Nintendo platforms. 4 wasn't localized at all despite being a pretty decent game (and rumors of the localization being mostly done but it being too buggy to pass certification or something), and 5 had the censorship controversy and didn't even get a physical release in North America. The Wii port of 2 didn't get brought to NA, either.
The "censorship controversy" wasn't bad handling by the western Nintendo offices. That was manbabies upset that unlockable costumes had been swapped with other unlockable costumes that happened to be less risque.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
The "censorship controversy" wasn't bad handling by the western Nintendo offices. That was manbabies upset that unlockable costumes had been swapped with other unlockable costumes that happened to be less risque.
The Zero Suit Samus costume was hardly less risque, and it's not like they couldn't just add the new costumes and keep the old ones as well. They were optional. I doubt anyone who wasn't interested in the game before suddenly decided to buy it because of their removal.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The Zero Suit Samus costume was hardly less risque, and it's not like they couldn't just add the new costumes and keep the old ones as well. They were optional. I doubt anyone who wasn't interested in the game before suddenly decided to buy it because of their removal.
Compared to the swimsuits? It certainly was.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
They added the Princess Zelda costume for the West as the less risqué one. The Zero Suit Samus costume was already an unlockable costume in 4 (which also had a Luigi suit, which was partnered with a Mario suit in the remake of 2) that they then also added for 5.

2790652-crcog7dweaan4gj.png
2790653-crcohhdwcaalvwk.png

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What happened was they kept making bad or forgettable games so the series was sidelined. The first two were some of the best horror games ever made. 3 was for serious fans only. The Wii U game was outright boring. The portable game was awful. I've never played the Wii game but it didn't get sterling reports either. It's time to admit this series only had two good games in it 15 years ago & let it rest.
Have you ever like played any of them.

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed 1-3, never got to play 4 since it wasn't released in the US, and I couldn't finish 5. 5 just wasn't that great imo. Didn't know the protag was in Smash. Was she a playable character?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I really enjoyed 1-3, never got to play 4 since it wasn't released in the US, and I couldn't finish 5. 5 just wasn't that great imo. Didn't know the protag was in Smash. Was she a playable character?
Assist Trophy only, of course.

4 was fan-translated and you can play it by (homebrew required) using the actual Japanese disc with the translation patch installed on the Wii (it automatically circumvents the region-lock).

thebigword

Oct 27, 2017
Assist Trophy only, of course.

4 was fan-translated and you can play it by (homebrew required) using the actual Japanese disc with the translation patch installed on the Wii (it automatically circumvents the region-lock).

Can I do this on the Wii U? I have a homebrewed Wii U, but don't have a Wii

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Yes please. I played 4 with a translation patch and it was great. Never did bother with 5 since they didn't give us a physical release in the US.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I think it really depends on if Makoto Shibata can assemble a team to make it, since last we saw Tecmo's dev line up, his former team worked on Nioh and Deception IV (and the last game he directed was Nightmare Princess). If Tecmo don't see the sales to back it up they aren't going to make another. It's sad, since it's the most consistent horror IP from a Japanese dev for me but it is what it is. I'd personally love a remake of 1 and ports of 2 Remake, 4 (since it's a masterpiece) and 5 over to Switch.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I think it really depends on if Makoto Shibata can assemble a team to make it, since last we saw Tecmo's dev line up, his former team worked on Nioh and Deception IV (and the last game he directed was Nightmare Princess). If Tecmo don't see the sales to back it up they aren't going to make another. It's sad, since it's the most consistent horror IP from a Japanese dev for me but it is what it is. I'd personally love a remake of 1 and ports of 2 Remake, 4 (since it's a masterpiece) and 5 over to Switch.
->

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
I'd be interested in seeing a story set anywhere else on earth. There are so many options. How about one of those several hundred year old seaside castles or manors from England, Ireland or Scotland or something ? There's a ton of ghost folkore or real deaths and history to try.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I'd be interested in seeing a story set anywhere else on earth. There are so many options. How about one of those several hundred year old seaside castles or manors from England, Ireland or Scotland or something ? There's a ton of ghost folkore or real deaths and history to try.
The series is distinctly Japanese, that's one of the key draws.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Fatal Frame is indelibly linked with Japanese ghost stories and folklore, and its lore specifically attributes the origins of the Camera Obscura and related devices to a Japanese occultist.

chaosaeon

Oct 26, 2017
The series is distinctly Japanese, that's one of the key draws.
Fatal Frame is indelibly linked with Japanese ghost stories and folklore, and its lore specifically attributes the origins of the Camera Obscura and related devices to a Japanese occultist.
I understand, I just think it would be cool to see. I watch a lot of shows that go in depth on supposedly haunted locations and tell the whole story of what happened there and quite a few times I've thought wow this story could be adapted into a pretty interesting Fatal Frame game.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Nintendo has been terrible at promoting this series, especially in North America. We didn't even get the remake of PZ2 on Wii. Of course we never got PZ4 along with the rest of the West either, and PZ5 was digital-only on Wii U. Makes me sad.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Nintendo has been terrible at promoting this series, especially in North America. We didn't even get the remake of PZ2 on Wii. Of course we never got PZ4 along with the rest of the West either, and PZ5 was digital-only on Wii U. Makes me sad.
How they handled 2 and 4 in North America was simply a symptom of how they handled similar games during that time where they tripled down on expanded audience and evergreen titles and let Japan and NOE go have their fun with those traditional, more special interest games (see the whole RPG-trio debacle with NOA).

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna have to echo the complaints about the handling of this franchise. I know, many horror series have disappeared or declined but it sucked jumping through hoops to play Zero 4. I also missed the limited release of 5 so I only ever played the demo (which was great!).

I have little hopes for a new entry any time soon. Wish Zero 2 Remake, 4 and 5 were ported to Switch at least.

Dec 2, 2017
Have you ever like played any of them.

Yes, I literally listed them in that post. The second game is one of my top 3 horror games ever, and I stuck with the series up to the Wii U game because of that fondnes. Unfortunately it was a waste of my time and money (Maiden was full price digital because Nintendo reasons). Judging by this thread most people haven't touched the series since the PS2 era.

Why can't some people let other people enjoy the things they like.
Plus, you're seriously saying "don't know anything about 4, so I'll just assume it's bad".

The denial is strong in this thread.

Here are some choice quotes from reviews around the web:

Eurogamer: "The stark truth is that much of the experience is a sluggish chore in terms of control and quest design."

Destructoid: "FF4 is on rails to a fault. I enjoyed the first couple of hours, but found the spooks become far too obvious and monotonous over time."

[Talkingcomicbooks.com:[/b] "Besides the character costumes which is more of a critique on the series as a whole than just this one game, there's nothing I full on hate about this game. It's more of a 'meh' feeling I get from this game."

It's just not some tragically ignored masterpiece. It's a motion controlled game that somehow doesn't use the pointer.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I literally listed them in that post. The second game is one of my top 3 horror games ever, and I stuck with the series up to the Wii U game because of that fondnes. Unfortunately it was a waste of my time and money (Maiden was full price digital because Nintendo reasons). Judging by this thread most people haven't touched the series since the PS2 era.

Eurogamer: "The stark truth is that much of the experience is a sluggish chore in terms of control and quest design."

Destructoid: "FF4 is on rails to a fault. I enjoyed the first couple of hours, but found the spooks become far too obvious and monotonous over time."

[Talkingcomicbooks.com:[/b] "Besides the character costumes which is more of a critique on the series as a whole than just this one game, there's nothing I full on hate about this game. It's more of a 'meh' feeling I get from this game."

It's just not some tragically ignored masterpiece. It's a motion controlled game that somehow doesn't use the pointer.
Mizeris Lutz Ether Lanai: *Sees thread filled with people talking about wanting a Fatal Frame 6 and enjoying discussion of Fatal Frame in general.*
Mizeris Lutz Ether Lanai: "I'mma shit all over that!"

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like for them to port the first three games to current consoles that were released in North America first, much less the entire series, nevermind a 6th game. Even if such a collection was to be exclusive on the Switch.

This was one of those series from the PS2/Xbox generation where I never understood the lack of a HD collection around when those began popping up all over the place last gen.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like for them to port the first three games to current consoles that were released in North America first, much less the entire series, nevermind a 6th game. Even if such a collection was to be exclusive on the Switch.

This was one of those series from the PS2/Xbox generation where I never understood the lack of a HD collection around when those began popping up all over the place last gen.
Time, resources, and interest, really. Better to have it done right than to Silent Hill 2HD it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

DvNkOgbX0AEU0XY.jpg

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Koei Tecmo clearly isn't interested in publish the series anymore and it basically exists for a decade now because of Nintendo publishing it, helping in development and so on with 4, 2 remake and 5. If Nintendo isn't interested in it anymore, it's pretty much dead by all means.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Koei Tecmo clearly isn't interested in publish the series anymore and it basically exists for a decade now because of Nintendo publishing it, helping in development and so on with 4, 2 remake and 5. If Nintendo isn't interested in it anymore, it's pretty much dead by all means.
They introduced an AT in smash, it has to mean something...

it has to

Deleted member 3040

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played 5 on the Wii U (physical copy too, thanks NoE) and it was my first entry. I was pleasantly surprised and would be interested in playing more honestly. It's been a while, but I remember thinking the atmosphere was great.

RoyalJCC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the best horror franchise i've played. I remember playing the first one as a kid and loving it. I just wish they would treat this franchise better - it deserves a second chance.

Cmon, do something with it.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I've always thought Fatal Frame was the scariest of the big 3 horror game franchise.

Apparently so did many people since the games generally don't sell well from what I've heard.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
FF5 was dreadful and while I haven't played 4 I heard it wasn't that good either, I really hope they'll make a proper one again. As it stands I have little faith in the series going forward.

cosmicspooks

Oct 29, 2017
I only ever played 2, and I don't think I ever beat that. But I have vivid memories playing it when I was 13 or whatever. Pretty sure I thought the game was actually cursed.

...wow, this thread has given me a bigtime urge to play through the whole series

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I would love a new Fatal Frame. I genuinely loved 5 despite it being rather uneven and having a lot of pacing issues. It's my favourite horror franchise, though I've actually never finished the third entry. I should snag the digital copy off PSN.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The wii version of 2 is great and one of the best horror games out there.
4 was bad with its forgettable story, bad controls, boring location and repetitive gameplay. 5 while an improvement still came up short. the controls were annoying, story lacking and the mountain forest location underutilized.

A new entry in which the camera obscura is labo...

Fixed that for you.

Nov 17, 2017
To be fair, it wasn't just the costumes that people were upset about. I believe they removed all references to gravure idols which ended up making a scene in the game not really making much sense.