• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With the way SE butchers "adapts" their previous source material, and the way they constantly mismanage projects, do we really want a decade devoted to these two games?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I really wouldnt trust recent polls when it comes to this stuff, dealing with games that are about 25 years old

VI always strikes me as the cult classic of the SNES era of FF games. The people who love it REALLY love it (this includes several high-ranking Square Enix folks), but it never really connected with the zeitgeist the way III, IV or VII did over there.

I will never, ever, EVER fucking understand why "four kids fall in a hole: the game" is as popular in Japan as it is, but I suppose it's the closest to a Dragon Quest game Final Fantasy ever got so that may be why.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
[
Just do them like FFIV The Complete Collection

maxresdefault.jpg

final_fantasy_iv_complete_collection-4216481.jpg

This, the game looks absolutely beautiful on the OG Vita.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
This much is true, hence why FFIV got two direct sequels (interlude and The After Years).

To the best of my knowledge, FFVI is considered a "whatever" game squished between two really popular entries in Japan.
People keep saying this but the sales don't seem to back it up. VI sold more than V on the Super Famicom and the GBA.

From a more anecdotal standpoint, VI ranked higher than IV and V on one of the most recent Japanese polls; https://www.dualshockers.com/final-fantasy-nhk-fan-poll-results/

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
FFVI Another World mod on PC is basically the remake I wanted. Better graphics and music and updated translation.

I think it's perfect, no remake necessary.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like Octopath was a spiritual remake of both FFV and VI. The job system and the art style reminded me of both.

The story and characters were a letdown though.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
FFVI could not be done with 3D models. It just wouldn't work. Especially with the way modern Square interprets Kefka into a complete idiot.

I disagree

I think it would pop in 3d if done properly. The dissidia models werent too bad

But ideally it would need to capture the dark, victorian steampunk world with a similar tone as what was shone in the PS1 cutscenes but obviously more artistically detailed and fully realized

They would have to reimagine a few of the locals as FF6 had a lot of copy/paste among its various biomes and locations. Would need to think about what these towns and villages would look like given their culture and location since our imaginations had to fill in a lot of the blanks in certain places thanks to them having to pretty much reuse tilesets

Again though... I have very little confidence that the tone and storytelling that came through back in the 90s could be accurately replicated by talent of today. I could be wrong but it would kill me to see it done wrong... probably more so than the slap in the face that was the Mobile/Steam Version

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I know some people don't like Octopath Traveler's aesthetic. But personally I would take an Octopath visual remake for Final Fantasy 1 - 6 in a moment.

It'd be great to have the entire 2D series in a cohesive style.

I feel like having every game look the same would take away a lot of what makes them special.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like having every game look the same would take away a lot of what makes them special.

6 at the very least could use an updated version for those who want to play it in modern times

I'm with you in that, while the octopath style is cool, I would rather they did something fresh

After the effing awful mobile/steam port it would be quite nice if they at least did something nice for this entry for a change

Of all of the flagship FF titles it seems like 6 just keeps getting shafted at every turn

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
The dream is VI remake in the style of 7 Remake with an option for 2D in the style of Octopath Traveler.
But that's never gonna happen.
At best we get a newly remastered port of the mobile/steam versions.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I would personally love to see 3D remakes in the vein of the DS remake of FFIV. Or the PSP version.

They don't need the massive FF7 level of treatment. Just a remixed/updated version with changes similar to IV's DS or PSP versions.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After the VII Remake...let's be glad VI doesn't have a remake announced. Not that VIIR is bad, I just want them to leave VI alone.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Do FFV and VI in the same style as FFIV Complete or Bravely Default/Second.

They still need to bring FFI & II to modern consoles and PC. Use the PSP versions as a base and improve from there.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
All I want them to do is to release the best versions of each game on steam. In most cases it's the PSP versions. I think the best version of V is on game boy advance, but there were issues with the music being replaced so it would need the original soundtrack or at least a toggle to pick the version you want.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I don't get why some of you are so dismissive of a remake. It's not like the remake will remove the original. It will always exist to stand on its own.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing through FFVI again right now, and it completely holds up graphically and in gameplay. All that's needed is a re-release. Square would mess up a full remake IMO.

Neo Hartless

Jan 8, 2019
I take issue with the statement that "not being remade in realistic 3D= not living up to its full potential".

The game was a really big achievement at the time it released. Redoing it to fit modern trends while removing it from the context of its time, or worse, changing it deliberately as a way to make it seem more artistically justified than a mere remake, is basically just saying that a work of art is not relevant if it's not modernized.

But that was basically Nojima's justification for Remaking, so I can see it happening.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
It blows my mind that people are talking about how a remake would would ruin these games and then people go on to praise the new art in the mobile remakes

I know these are not necessarily the same people who are stating these two distinct opinions, but reading them in close proximity is like someone talking about how they hate the idea of eating take-out because it's low quality and then talk about how much they love the dining experience at their local trash franchise buffet

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know why the PSP versions never made it to steam or other platforms? Why remake the game in crap 3d graphics and ruin the originals? Surely they had to do more work to create that stuff rather than to just fix up a previous port. I don't get it.