• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2017
DFW, Texas
So wait. we have to have opening paragraphs like college papers to start threads now? :P I feel for the folks just posting links and calling it a thread.
On topic, I personally don't want Square to touch Final Fantasy V because they would mess with the flow of the game and gameplay & FFV is basically a well oiled machine that hums when it gets going, even the ugly iOS versions had the right idea of not touching the gamplay (besides probably some under the hood fixes and bug squashing).
Now Final Fantasy VI would be great to see in a fleshed out manner as the FFVIIR but then the level of padding Square would add might turn it into a multi-generation multi-game monster like FFVIIR is turning into. I can just see wasting an hour in Figaro Castle finding lost kids, thwarting a Lone Wolf jail break attempt, collecting a desert flower to cure the old matron's ailment in a brand new nearby desert quarry area filled with familiar looking enemies & endless reinterpretations of Uematsu character themes to ease the growing sense of banality.
Dammit, I might have just talked myself out of a Final Fantasy VI remake.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
Because Square isn't talented enough to do it. They'd make Terra into the spineless, pathetic waif she is in Dissidia and Kefka into the farting improv comedian he's been in every crossover game he's appeared in for the past 15 years. Without Sakaguchi and Ito involved you'd never get an accurate remake anyway.
To be fair, those are crossover fighting and gacha games focused on fan service and not 20 to 30 hour epics.

You are never gonna get nuanced characterization in those.

Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to do a lot of work to convince me that A Midsummer Nights Dream isn't Shakespeare's most well-known comedy.

And after the train graveyard in FFVIIR, I really really want to see a VIR in that style. Imagine one of those trains being supplexed.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
giphy.gif
I don't know if you're agreeing with me or I drove you to frustration but I'll take either as a win

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, they can do great games. And will continue do do so. What the hell is this, if they're not talented enough or dead for what... 20 years now, either people criticizing them are buying their games as true masochists for years or are not playing them. Oh, well.

Bravely Default would be my starting point for these remakes, but something like those below are good enough for my book too:

10.jpg

i was in till i saw the comic sans

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if you're agreeing with me or I drove you to frustration but I'll take either as a win
The latter. It's insanely frustrating seeing that posted over and over since SE has always worked on at least two mainline FF games at the same time since the release of 7.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Was always disappointment we didn't get remakes of these for the 3DS in the style of the DS remakes of 3 and 4. I guess those small scale remakes are just something they don't want to make anymore.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Good news, everyone gets to win today.

You win because your post is frustrating and that's apparently good.

Everyone else wins because FF16 has already been in development for years. It probably started production before FF7R was moved from external partner to in house development in 2017.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
We're never getting FFXVI at this point, it's gonna take 10 years to get FF7 out and y'all are already asking for two more?

I understand your pain. When the FF7 remake was announced I was hyped for fans but disappointed personally. With Versus XIII turning into XV we've been waiting well over a decade for a brand new FF world to be excited about. I just really hope XVI is in the works and will come out before VIIR has to be finished because VIIR could take a decade to complete.

This is why I advocate for lower scale remakes for these older titles like Trials of Mana. Put it into 3D and remake the cutscenes to be more cinematic but keep the abstraction from the original game. Essentially an AA remake.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
IV is much MUCH more beloved in Japan than VI ever was. VI is not regarded as a giant success in Japan.

You probably did not intend this but a thread like this a few weeks after VIIR comes out reads at worst entitled and at best spoiled

I dont think those games will ever get a AAA remake. VII is the exception and will probably remain that way. Trials of Mana level remakes are a possibility but that would be a bummer for me.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
The latter. It's insanely frustrating seeing that posted over and over since SE has always worked on at least two mainline FF games at the same time since the release of 7.
Okay, so we have them working on FF7 Pt. 2 and 3 now, then in 2022 when they release 2 they can work on Pt. 3 and Pt. 4. Once 2025 rolls around and they put out Part 3 they can FINALLY start working on Final Fantasy V Remake! I can't wait.

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
They still hold up imo, a remake is not really needed

Remakes never replace the original. That's not their purpose. It's just to offer a modern take on the original beloved property. It's why FFVIIR being so different is a good thing. Despite the moaning of "uwu I just wanted a graphical update of the original why isn't it turn based anymore!"

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
How do you know they couldn't do it in 3D?

I understand you're completely averse to the idea but you could just... not play the remake. :p
For one, there are 14 playable characters with a wild suite of abilities that if you take them out, you strip the character of who they are. Gau alone is like Vincent's limit breaks, multiplied by every enemy in the game. Also at times some of the characters in the game are controllable in Magitek armor as well.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, they can do great games. And will continue do do so. What the hell is this, if they're not talented enough or dead for what... 20 years now, either people criticizing them are buying their games as true masochists for years or are not playing them. Oh, well.

Bravely Default would be my starting point for these remakes, but something like those below are good enough for my book too:

05.jpg

10.jpg

08.jpg

13ic2vx4rjy21.jpg

More here:

And they used Comic sans lmao.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I would want to see a version of VI that retains the original artwork (with some clean up and sharperning like Octopath), GBA translation and bug fixes, and SNES music. Just to have a definitive version.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Perhaps the most well-known is "The Taming of the Shrew"[...] However, it is likewise a similar case, as one of the most popular and well-liked games in a franchise full of them is being held back from reaching its full potential, and the reason why seems to be the less-beloved game that came before requiring the same treatment.

That is one leap of logic I did NOT see coming.

On topic, I would be content with a remake on the level of the PSP FFIV remake, with beautiful HD visuals that don't look like they've been uprezzed by an AI and then smeared by a well-intentioned old lady.

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
For one, there are 14 playable characters with a wild suite of abilities that if you take them out, you strip the character of who they are. Gau alone is like Vincent's limit breaks, multiplied by every enemy in the game. Also at times some of the characters in the game are controllable in Magitek armor as well.

Do you think they couldn't do that in the same quality as say the Trails of Mana remake?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Conversely, its predecessor, Final Fantasy V, is far less beloved. The last FF game directed by series creator Hironobu Sakaguchi, the game featured one of the most unique gameplay systems in series history, taking III's beloved job system and cranking it up to 11 giving players near-full customization of their party. However, when it came to what FF fans care about most - characters and storyline - V came up extremely lacking, and it never getting a worldwide release outside of Japan hasn't provided much nostalgia for the game as opposed to it's predecessor and successor.

Kind of shortsells V. Job systems are another thing beloved by Final Fantasy fans, and while V isn't as story-focused, it still has some fantastic story beats. As you note, the main reason it doesn't have much Western mindshare is because it didn't release here until well after IV and VI, and consequently lacks nostalgia for people who grew up with the SNES.

I'm hopeful we'll one day get a nice, stylistic AA-tier remake of V and VI. Whether that looks like Octopath, or Bravely, or the sprite-based PSP remasters, or something more realistically-proportioned (but less lavish and time-consuming as VII-R)... I don't care. Just give us beautiful definitive editions of some sort.

Now, and I know this is farfetched, but the entry I hope one day receives a true cinematic rewriting & reimagining would be IV. I'd love for this cinematic to be reflected by gameplay:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
FFVI could not be done with 3D models. It just wouldn't work. Especially with the way modern Square interprets Kefka into a complete idiot.
? It can totally work

You and I might not like how Square interprets Kefka these days (hes not fucking medieval Joker, Square!) and I would love to see a AAA take on Amanos art style but tech wise theres nothing inherently difficult about making that game in 3D

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
IV is much MUCH more beloved in Japan than VI ever was. VI is not regarded as a giant success in Japan.

You probably did not intend this but a thread like this a few weeks after VIIR comes out reads at worst entitled and at best spoiled

I dont think those games will ever get a AAA remake. VII is the exception and will probably remain that way. Trials of Mana level remakes are a possibility but that would be a bummer for me.
While kind of a relative sales slump at the time, the game is still super well regarded. It was third on the recent NHK FF poll (IV was eighth).

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'd settle for a good port.

Why the fuck is the only decent way to play the game in English, the GBA version with the sound patch?

Why just why?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Do you think they couldn't do that in the same quality as say the Trails of Mana remake?
Unless they make the enemy AI completely boneheaded, I'm honestly not sure. I think for much of VI to function, turn-based needs to be maintained. That's why I'm supportive of a Divinity style of combat / interaction. How do you have a pike-wielding, Dancing Mog work properly in 3D? How do you have Sabin suplex every single enemy in the game, no matter the size, in an active 3D environment? How do you render over 100 moves and animations for Gau that work properly with all enemies? How do you have Gogo mime every one of those abilities as well?

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Unless they make the enemy AI completely boneheaded, I'm honestly not sure. I think for much of VI to function, turn-based needs to be maintained. That's why I'm supportive of a Divinity style of combat / interaction. How do you have a pike-wielding, Dancing Mog work properly in 3D? How do you have Sabin suplex every single enemy in the game, no matter the size, in an active 3D environment? How do you render over 100 moves and animations for Gau that work properly with all enemies? How do you have Gogo mime every one of those abilities as well?

I just mean Trials in terms of budget. Obviously FFVI would remain turn-based. I envision like a HD take on those DS remakes of III and IV

Aftervirtue

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I'll sell mine so that this never happens and Nomura and modern SQEX don't lay a hand on the masterpiece that is FFVI.
Hahaha... But the original game is always right there on SNES. No real risk....Except all the future generations forgetting the SNES edition exists. So I suppose you have a point and the possibility of the remake Reducing Terra into a model would be a slap in the face. But Just imagine that opening in modern graphics, and Kefka!

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
FFXIV already has an answer for most of these questions, even the dancing moogles.

That said, FF5/6 remakes should obviously keep (and update) the ATB system.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I just mean Trials in terms of budget. Obviously FFVI would remain turn-based. I envision like a HD take on those DS remakes of III and IV

I don't think it would work with Trials' style. Trials cuts a TON OF corners, especially in cutscene presentation. FFVI is way too dramatic for a bunch of obvious "gotta hide the fact we didn't animate this" cuts to black. It would need a significantly higher budget.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
We had this thread like a month ago. VI just isn't popular enough to justify a full on remake. VIII would get a remake and X would get another sequel before that happens. Get that idea out of your head. Octopath or Bravely or Trials is the best visual upgrade you're going to get. I don't see them doing a IV PSP style either after the mobile version (which was overseen by the original artist and Japan was fine with it IIRC, although the West obviously despised it).

I've said before I'd like Octopath style. Yes it'd be very similar to the original. That's fine. It's basically just updating it enough that modern audiences would be interested and pay full price.

as for FFV, I really like that game but story wise it's not as good as the others and mechanically 4 Heroes and Bravely really iterated and improved on it nicely. That game had its spirit carried on well. Not sure it needs more.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV already has an answer for most of these questions, even the dancing moogles.

That said, FF5/6 remakes should obviously keep (and update) the ATB system.

I'll be blunt. While I enjoy FFXIV, its combat system would be absolutely terrible for an offline RPG. It's just constant visual noise. The only way to play XIV effectively is to basically develop selective tunnel vision and only focus on your character and nothing else or turn off all ability effects.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
I think they could do FF VI a la VII Remake, and they could use a lot of the same techniques from the original to keep the development cost and time down, such as making most of the towns have relatively the same copy-paste style, just tinker with them a bit to make them feel a bit more unique. VI also has less dialogue, so I think they could manage it with one game. The second half of the game pretty much recycles the world anyway, with just some new dungeons here and there.

I wouldn't want them to break it up into multiple parts, they should do it all in one go, even if they have to truncate something, but I don't see how they can't borrow some modified version of FF XV's world (even make it a bit smaller to scale, and look more like a world map) and just use an airship/chocobo to get around.

This is of course just my ass-pull of speculation. Not sure if they would ever actually remake the game, as it probably wouldn't sell as well as something like VII R. Some type of AA remake similar to Trials of Mana could work too.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Hahaha... But the original game is always right there on SNES. No real risk....Except all the future generations forgetting the SNES edition exists. So I suppose you have a point and the possibility of the remake Reducing Terra into a model would be a slap in the face. But Just imagine that opening in modern graphics, and Kefka!

Nope. Everything outside of maybe an Octopath graphically-styled remake, or an easy up-rez of the old games (Disclaimer: no "mobiled" art) gets a dedicated no from me.

SQEX/Nomura are free to "fuck up" everything starting with 7 and above, skip XII outside of SQEX manageing to get Matsuno back for a remake, and can then focus on making new games.

Alox12

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 23, 2019
Hopefully never, if we are talking about the FF7Remake treatment.

I'd welcome something similar to FF4's PSP version, though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think they could do FF VI a la VII Remake, and they could use a lot of the same techniques from the original to keep the development cost and time down, such as making most of the towns have relatively the same copy-paste style, just tinker with them a bit to make them feel a bit more unique. VI also has less dialogue, so I think they could manage it with one game. The second half of the game pretty much recycles the world anyway, with just some new dungeons here and there.

I wouldn't want them to break it up into multiple parts, they should do it all in one go, even if they have to truncate something, but I don't see how they can't borrow some modified version of FF XV's world (even make it a bit smaller to scale, and look more like a world map) and just use an airship/chocobo to get around.

This is of course just my ass-pull of speculation. Not sure if they would ever actually remake the game, as it probably wouldn't sell as well as something like VII R. Some type of AA remake similar to Trials of Mana could work too.

FFVI's world gets completely blown up halfway through. They'd have to make two versions of every single area in the game except for, like, some cave dungeons that don't get impacted by the apocalypse.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine SE not butchering V in a remake It's nearly perfect as it is.

VI would benefit from one though IMO, given it's popularity I'm surprised it didn't get more than that poor mobile game + ports.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because Square isn't talented enough to do it. They'd make Terra into the spineless, pathetic waif she is in Dissidia and Kefka into the farting improv comedian he's been in every crossover game he's appeared in for the past 15 years. Without Sakaguchi and Ito involved you'd never get an accurate remake anyway.
This feels like a weird complaint with FF7R out now. Like people used to say they wouldn't get Cloud right either but here we are.

(And believe me I hated Dissidia Terra.)

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
FFVI's world gets completely blown up halfway through. They'd have to make two versions of every single area in the game except for, like, some cave dungeons that don't get impacted by the apocalypse.
They could always make the final boss of the first half a few ghosts and say they're reversing the fate/plot of the original. No need for the World of Ruin then.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a weird complaint with FF7R out now. Like people used to say they wouldn't get Cloud right either but here we are.

(And believe me I hated Dissidia Terra.)

I don't think VIIR is particularly well-written. And even then, at least some of VII's head creatives are on the project, even if every last one of them is way past his individual prime.

Sakaguchi is gone, Ito is in the Phantom Zone...who the hell would be handling this remake? TORIYAMA?

They could always make the final boss of the first half a few ghosts and say they're reversing the fate/plot of the original. No need for the World of Ruin then.

tenor.gif