• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Phil Spencer in 2019:
FF14-Xbox.png

Square Enix in 2020:
Shadowbringers-platforms.png

(release of Shadowbringers for only PS4/PC)

Square Enix in 2021:

(announcement of PS5 enhancement but no word on Xbox version previously announced)

What happened here? Did Phil Spencer misrepresent his ability to convince Square Enix to bring FF14 to Xbox? Did the FF14 team run into trouble incorporating a new console ecosystem into the mix? Square Enix and Xbox have strung people along for a while now with the hope of FF14 on Xbox consoles. It would be nice if they, pardon my French, shit or get off the pot.

Thanathorn

Dec 10, 2019
It's still happening. It's probably a lot more complicated to bring it over to Xbox then some expect. I anticipate it will skip Xbox One so they'll probably release it when Xbox Series x|s has larger install base.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
The big sticking point that was mentioned in earlier threads about this IIRC, was the requirement for paid Xbox Live.

So I'm guessing any announcement is going be reliant on Microsoft giving an actual hard date for the revamp re: what online games actually need paid online, especially if there needs to be a carveout for FFXIV.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
It's odd, but maybe in the end plans ultimately changed and Square chose to put money and resources elsewhere? It's a possibility, but it doesn't mean it won't come later.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
It's coming, we need more sprouts.
/s

Seriously, I hope it's rather sooner than later and that by all means there's cross-play between consoles.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I just want a yes or no. I'm fucking tired of my ps4 and my absolutely worn out dualshock 4s. I wasn't planning on getting a ps5 until next fall, mainly because of that comment thinking I could at least play it BC on my Series X.

It makes sense to get it out before the expac, if it brings in as many new players as they hope to get them ready to buy in to the new release. But then again, I said the same thing about it coming out with the 2.0 rework.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my assumption is the F2P Xbox Live thing being dropped and the actual date that it's happening then we'll see some movement with FFXIV. It sucks though

Kamisori

Oct 26, 2017
France
The big sticking point that was mentioned in earlier threads about this IIRC, was the requirement for paid Xbox Live.
The issue has always been Sony pretty much. Yoshida always said that they wanted an unified base for the game but Sony never gave Yoshida the authorization until now to share the data between PS and Xbox players (well cross-play/cross-progression but for MMOs). There was also the XBL requirement but i believe that Microsoft can give a waiver on specific cases (very rare but they can do it).

Yet it's pretty sure a given that FF XIV will release on Xbox with EndWalker, there is two fanfest left, so i expect to be announce during the next one or the last one which should be 2-3 months before the release.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
User banned (3 days): Console warring
Porting the game for the 50 people who are interested in trying the game on Xbox doesnt sound so reasonable to me.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe Sony moneyhatted it to be timed exclusives. If so, MS should just counter with making DQX mmo xbox console exclusive.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My guess is COVID delayed things, and FFXIV on Xbox is a lower priority for the team than the PS5 version and getting the new expansion out on current platforms. I still think it'll come-- it's a when, not an if.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
There was also the XBL requirement but i believe that Microsoft can give a waiver on specific cases (very rare but they can do it).

What games? I seriously can't think of one example.

Maybe Sony moneyhatted it to be timed exclusives. If so, MS should just counter with making DQX mmo xbox console exclusive.

They already got PSO2

I think 14 comes to Xbox at some point but theres some holdup obviously

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Porting the game for the 50 people who are interested in trying the game on Xbox doesnt sound so reasonable to me.

This is just asinine. It's a popular game and there are an entire player base who may have never had a chance to experience it. There are a dozen MMOs/battle royales that you have probably never heard of that have player bases in the hundreds that still have versions on both consoles. SE absolutely has the resources to support another client, especially when MS is paying them to do so, like with every other FF hitting gamepass

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Building a port takes time + SE likely had to wait for clarification on whether or not FFXIV players would need Gold in order to play the game on Xbox, in addition to the subscription fee.

The exact same thing happened with FFXI on the 360 until Microsoft made an exception.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
I preface this by saying that this *should* happen and I wouldn't be surprised if it did, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they really just don't think there's a worthwhile audience there, especially after so many years.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely understand why PS5 would take priority for them over Xbox. My guess is Xbox must be coming eventually they just haven't finished/prioritized it yet.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe limited development resources? They probably figure between the PlayStation family and PCs there aren't many people not covered.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Covid guys. I feel like a lot of people keep forgetting how much Covid is throwing these things out of wack. Video game development wasn't magically sparred the difficulties of the pandemic.

I'm sure it'll come. I'm one of those looking forward to it as I'm picking up Xbox first this gen.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Ngl I thought for sure this time it'll come to Xbox, didn't MS take out the paywall for free online games?

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Covid guys. I feel like a lot of people keep forgetting how much Covid is throwing these things out of wack. Video game development wasn't magically sparred the difficulties of the pandemic.

I'm sure it'll come. I'm one of those looking forward to it as I'm picking up Xbox first this gen.

FFXIV launched in 2010 and has been ongoing ever since. There's been a lot of opportunities before COVID to get the game in the Xbox ecosystem. Clearly, there is something else keeping the game away from it.

Ngl I thought for sure this time it'll come to Xbox, didn't MS take out the paywall for free online games?

Nope, not yet. Just announced that they will at some point

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
Square Enix doesn't respect/care about Xbox unless it has to do with their western studios (Tomb Raider)

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
FFXIV launched in 2010 and has been ongoing ever since. There's been a lot of opportunities before COVID to get the game in the Xbox ecosystem. Clearly, there is something else keeping the game away from it.
I think you're misrepresenting the timeline here. FFXIV for the Xbox was announced in late 2019. That's only a few months before the pandemic starting hitting everyone hard and porting a game the size of XIV takes time. It most certainly was affected by Covid.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I think you're misrepresenting the timeline here. FFXIV for the Xbox was announced in late 2019. That's only a few months before the pandemic starting hitting everyone hard and porting a game the size of XIV takes time. It most certainly was affected by Covid.

Yeah, but the game has been ongoing since 2010. So even if this alleged timeline was in 2019, there was still something else keeping it from that Xbox ecosystem, whether that was Sony exclusivity, lack of belief in interest, paid Gold situation, etc. So yeah, maybe COVID delayed this supposed release (if it's coming), but it's clearly not just because of COVID that the game has taken so long to get there. That was my point.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, but the game has been ongoing since 2010. So even if this alleged timeline was in 2019, there was still something else keeping it from that Xbox ecosystem, whether that was Sony exclusivity, lack of belief in interest, paid Gold situation, etc. So yeah, maybe COVID delayed this supposed release (if it's coming), but it's clearly not just because of COVID that the game has taken so long to get there. That was my point.
Of course there's a million other reasons it didn't come before but those aren't the reasons we're discussing here. The OP is clearly annoyed that we haven't gotten a game that was specifically announced in 2019 at XO19.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Of course there's a million other reasons it didn't come before but those aren't the reasons we're discussing here. The OP is clearly annoyed that we haven't gotten a game that was specifically announced in 2019 at XO19.

Well, he also says this: " Square Enix and Xbox have strung people along for a while now with the hope of FF14 on Xbox consoles," so I think it's a bit beyond that, and I was more adding context to that as a whole. But sure, I guess so.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
was actually just looking for this earlier today, been wanting to try ESO and ff14 but only eso was there. can't really justify paying monthly though since I probably wouldnt play often. has squenix ever discussed having it be free with box purchase? i doubt it but... thought I'd ask just in case!

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
was actually just looking for this earlier today, been wanting to try ESO and ff14 but only eso was there. can't really justify paying monthly though since I probably wouldnt play often. has squenix ever discussed having it be free with box purchase? i doubt it but... thought I'd ask just in case!

The free trial covers about half of what's currently out without needing a box purchase.

FFXI is still running a subscription though, and that's almost 20 years old now. I wouldn't expect it to drop anytime soon

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
They said it wasn't possible until Microsoft dropped the Gold requirement for F2P games (because FF14 on Xbox would require both Gold and its own subscription). Microsoft is dropping that requirement later this year.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
They said it wasn't possible until Microsoft dropped the Gold requirement for F2P games (because FF14 on Xbox would require both Gold and its own subscription). Microsoft is dropping that requirement later this year.
Yeah, I think this is most likely. It will come to Xbox soon after that.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Technically it wasn't even really a formal announcement. Just a foot note in an article about other FF games going on game pass.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017

It will never happen. And as others have said, the base game and first expansion are free. With the patches of story/dungeons/trials after each main story, your looking at over 100 hours of content for free. Just try it. If you love it, you literally have 2 more excellent JRPGs expansions that you can buy for 20 bucks on sale.

People need to stop seeing this game as some sort of long term commitment. Play it for the story and move on. It doesn't need to be your life, and with the ridiculous amount of content available, even if it takes you 2 months past your first free month that comes from buying the latest expansion, you would have still paid less than full retail price for hundreds of hours of an excellent JRPG. Plenty of people sub for a month a time 2 or 3 times a year when content drops.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
The issue has always been Sony pretty much. Yoshida always said that they wanted an unified base for the game but Sony never gave Yoshida the authorization until now to share the data between PS and Xbox players (well cross-play/cross-progression but for MMOs). There was also the XBL requirement but i believe that Microsoft can give a waiver on specific cases (very rare but they can do it).

Yet it's pretty sure a given that FF XIV will release on Xbox with EndWalker, there is two fanfest left, so i expect to be announce during the next one or the last one which should be 2-3 months before the release.
Source? As far as I'm aware, Yoshida's never blamed Sony's cross-play policies, all he's said is there's been a number of issues with Microsoft's policies. Apparently Microsoft has policies restricting how players can interact with players on other platforms.

I don't think they've said anything about dropping Gold for MMOs, have they? Cause I wouldn't consider XIV a F2P game.

Anyway, did Square Enix ever actually announce it would come to Xbox or was it just Phil Spencer? If not then I'm not sure how you could blame Square Enix for stringing anyone along.