• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which country?

• Iceland

Votes: 76 6.1%
  • Sweden

Votes: 22 1.8%
  • Norway

Votes: 43 3.5%
  • Germany

Votes: 66 5.3%
  • Cape Town

Votes: 47 3.8%
  • Something different

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • Japan lol

Votes: 813 65.5%

• Total voters

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
Spain + Portugal, Canadá, Germany. Japan is cool and should maybe be the game, but there have been 2 games in a row driving in the left :S

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Add another vote to Japan, though frankly you could put the Horizon team on the most banal location imaginable and they'd still be able to make it exciting.

Cape Town, Brazil, Canada, Spain, Germany, anywhere Scandinavian. I'd love to see Singapore, Malaysia, or Vietnam - let me race through Rice Paddies!

India could be a really cool and unorthodox pick too. The extremely dense cities and roadways would require some artistic license, but there's a huge car culture there (or at least a lot of hundred millionaires and billionaires that flaunt luxury cars) and plenty of stunning roads and vistas.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
A larger area of the US (not just Colorado), kind of like what The Crew attempted.

Japan is also a good answer.

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
Anywhere would be great, honestly. You can set the game in fucking Nebraska and it would still be awesome

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Japan. It should also be next-gen exclusive.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
It won't be Japan even though it obviously makes the most sense. Japan is home to the world's largest automaker, has an incredibly rich history in motorsports and car culture in general, it's ridiculous that it wasn't already a location in one of the first four games.

The reason why it probably won't be Japan of course is because Japan has its own games industry that would be able to do it more accurately and authentically. Maybe not better as a game than the Forza devs though.

On the other hand the same concerns were there for Ghosts of Tsushima, but that turned out well.

In the end the most likely thing that will happen is setting the game in another Asian country to give the series a similar feeling (at least in the eyes of the public in the US/Europe) completely ignoring that no other country has that same connection to cars as Japan.

My dream would be having the Forza team make a Horizon game set in Japan, working in close partnership with Genki Racing Project to get the car culture details right.

Since that's not going to happen this indie game is probably going to be the best bet:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm cancelling my pre-order as soon as it's announced that it's not feudal era.
Hmm. Reasonable.

Yo... this would actually be pretty cool.

New FH game that takes place across multiple countries of South America would be great. Similar to FH2.
Japan would be great too but it's been done several times before so SA would feel more fresh.

I personally want to see Seoul, the place I'm familiar with but I think it's very unlikely.
Actually, I'd love to see a pan-Asian entry. Hong Kong, Shanghai, the mountains of Taiwan or southwestern China, the Great Wall, Seoul, fishing villages of Vietnam, hitting some of the architecture of India. But, I imagine that the political considerations would sink any such endeavor. You could never do any country quite enough justice, and the logistics of portraying free movement across so many contested or tense borders would be nightmarish.

But man, that would be cool. Even if it was just the East Asian block, Japan, Hong Kong, Eastern China, Korea, with a lot of interesting things to check out with giant bridges across the ocean.... lol. But sadly, no.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Japan for sure.

And if the game is going to be more of a platform like mainline Forza is supposed to be then I'd like to see them add all the previous environments updated with seasons and off road. Australia was too good and the fact that it's lost after being delisted is a shame.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Still can't believe they haven't done Germany yet, the country that arguably has the world's greatest car manufacturers and gets the most automotive tourism (Romantic Road, Nürburgring, Autobahn) in the world.

Not only would it feel super natural to race on the Autobahn, Germany also offers a great variery in terms of landscape (from the Alps to the Baltic sea). Heck you could even throw Poland, Holland, Austria and Denmark into the mix to make it even more diverse.

Really can't wrap my head around it that they did Italy and England before Germany.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
Scandinavia is super underrated here.

I mean, look at this shit right here:
depositphotos_153734314-stock-photo-norwegian-mountain-road-trollstigen-stigfossen.jpg

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I feel like they are holding onto a japan setting until they feel like they can really use it to help give xbox a leg up in real life Japan. Maybe now is the time with x cloud.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As long as the cars drive on the correct side of the road, I'm fine. And the correct side of course is the right side!!!

I am extremely hyped for Horizon 5 btw! My fav racing franchise bar none.

It won't be Japan even though it obviously makes the most sense. Japan is home to the world's largest automaker, has an incredibly rich history in motorsports and car culture in general, it's ridiculous that it wasn't already a location in one of the first four games.

Dwarfed by Germany on all levels. Germany makes much more sense, and has just as epic scenery to boot.
But mainly really, I don't want to drive on the wrong side of the road anymore. Two times is enough.

Oct 28, 2017
If they do Japan I want them to base it on Hokkaido. Today I drove across the Shiretoko pass and it was the most epic road scenery I have ever experienced. Stunning in autumn and they get serious snow so the four seasons thing from Horizon 4 could be expanded.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Germany. Beautiful, very diverse country, also auto country with the famed Autobahn and it is severely underrepresented in video game locations apart from WW2 shooters.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Japan or Germany, but I think Japan would be good now, since they just did Britain which shares a lot of scenic features with Germany.

zephiross

Mar 27, 2018
Make it something interesting like morocco or brasil... UK was soooooo underwhelming... I think FH4 is the game I played the less in the franchise. And as much as I'd like a FH5 set in japan, I do not trust playground games with making virtual cities, they've been consistently bad across all FH games. So I'd rather have a well made exotic natural place rather than a disappointing Japan.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Scandinavia is super underrated here.

I mean, look at this shit right here:
depositphotos_153734314-stock-photo-norwegian-mountain-road-trollstigen-stigfossen.jpg

They already kinda did that with the Fortune Island DLC for FH4. Same jagged, nordic terrain, and it even has a similar winding road.

I think the obvious answer here is Japan. That's where the series fans really wanted FH4 to be, it has an obvious car culture they could lean on for the "campaign", and it seems like Xbox are trying to court the Japanese audience again. I can't imagine a better way to do that, than with a really good Horizon sequel set in Japan. It also has the kind of geographic and seasonal variability they like.

I'd also love to see Playground handed the Project Gotham license or something, and set a reboot in a complete 1:1 recreation of New York that leverages some of the tech underpinning Microsoft Flight Simulator. People would go nuts for that announcement. However, I suspect the Horizon brand is just too big for them to do that now.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Make it something interesting like morocco or brasil... UK was soooooo underwhelming... I think FH4 is the game I played the less in the franchise. And as much as I'd like a FH5 set in japan, I do not trust playground games with making virtual cities, they've been consistently bad across all FH games. So I'd rather have a well made exotic natural place rather than a disappointing Japan.

Eh? Their rendition of Edinburgh was fantastic, save for the limitations of the technology available (such as the city being mostly a ghost town)

zephiross

Mar 27, 2018
Eh? Their rendition of Edinburgh was fantastic, save for the limitations of the technology available (such as the city being mostly a ghost town)
yeah there surely were 5 or 6 streets that nailed the atsmosphere, sure, but as I see it, it never felt like I was driving in a city, rather in a city-shaped portion of the map (if that makes sense lol). It might just be me because i quite critical of those kind of things, but that's my take on it.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
They already kinda did that with the Fortune Island DLC for FH4. Same jagged, nordic terrain, and it even has a similar winding road.

I think the obvious answer here is Japan. That's where the series fans really wanted FH4 to be, it has an obvious car culture they could lean on for the "campaign", and it seems like Xbox are trying to court the Japanese audience again. I can't imagine a better way to do that, than with a really good Horizon sequel set in Japan. It also has the kind of geographic and seasonal variability they like.

I'd also love to see Playground handed the Project Gotham license or something, and set a reboot in a complete 1:1 recreation of New York that leverages some of the tech underpinning Microsoft Flight Simulator. People would go nuts for that announcement. However, I suspect the Horizon brand is just too big for them to do that now.

Yeah and I want more of that. Also, Scandanavia is well known for its rallying - FH4 did a decent job on the rally courses but we need more!

Honestly, I don't really see why people want Japan so much. The car culture of a location has never really been given that much attention in the games beyond a few token extra cars.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Yeah and I want more of that. Also, Scandanavia is well known for its rallying - FH4 did a decent job on the rally courses but we need more!

Honestly, I don't really see why people want Japan so much. The car culture of a location has never really been given that much attention in the games beyond a few token extra cars.

I personally don't care about Japan either, but speaking in terms of probabilities - I think it is by far the most probable and logical choice for them, for the reasons I stated.

I'd like a Horizon game set in Canada, personally.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
yeah there surely were 5 or 6 streets that nailed the atsmosphere, sure, but as I see it, it never felt like I was driving in a city, rather in a city-shaped portion of the map (if that makes sense lol). It might just be me because i quite critical of those kind of things, but that's my take on it.

It definitely wasn't very big (such are the realities of technical limitations and a two-year dev cycle) but what was there seemed to be very well received by people native to the area.

It seems both Forza games are getting extra long dev cycles this time around (we should technically be getting a new Horizon this fall with their normal cadence), which would give them extra time to really do justice to a city like Tokyo.

Cyberclops

Mar 15, 2019
Playground did a pretty good job representing Australia along with the people and car culture so I'd be curious how'd they do with an Asian locale. It's not enough to just model a Japanese city and call it a day.

Oct 30, 2017
japan is the boring answer but i'd be down. would also love to see cape town though

Just give me the Shuto Expressway and I'm happy. Or take me to Greece.

maybe play gran turismo instead? or that assetto corsa shutoko mod that i really need to check out.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be very difficult to top Australia from Forza Horizon 3, imo. That map was incredible and rich with diversity. Coastlines, forests, jungle, desert, rocky areas, modern big city, suburbs, outskirts and what have you. As much as I enjoyed Edinburgh in Horizon 4, with its narrow curvy roads and alleyways, the map in its entirety was nowhere near as fun as Australia. Especially the Goliath course in Horizon 4 was incredibly meh compared to the GOAT in Horizon 3.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
People have been asking for Japan for a long time. And I don't understand why all these companies keep avoiding the country. I'm talking about more than racing games.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Seriously, can you imagine? Driving across the bridge to PEI (one challenge could be to reach every lighthouse in X amount of time)... coasting around Cape Breton... checking out the Bay of Fundy.

I want this so bad.

Absolutely. The Maritime provinces are even the perfect size for a Forza map. Make Halifax the main city.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
People have been asking for Japan for a long time. And I don't understand why all these companies keep avoiding the country. I'm talking about more than racing games.
I can't speak to non-racing games, but I'd heard that there were certain technical challenges with doing some of the urban settings that a Japan-located game would essentially require. (Like, if you're not going to drive through city streets surrounded by neon signs, what's the point?)

So I've always suspected that Japan was at the top of the list for the first next-gen installment of the Horizon franchise, and that we'll get a bit more street racing emphasis as a result. (Like, I think we'll still get the "go anywhere" stuff, but we'll also get driving dynamics that are also suitable for road racing.)

Wild-ish prediction: We'll also get superbikes added to the game. Including inevitable Akira DLC.