• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic Mania 2 is obvious so I don't need to go into why that should exist.

The only question is whether you stick with the theme of old remixed and new, or you go fully new.

However the other crime is the lack of a Sonic Maker game.

Sonic is the original rom hack wunderkind.
Christ Sega did it themselves with Knuckles in Sonic 2 back in the day.

Sonic_and_knuckles_and_sonic2_title.png

Given how Sonic works it could be a truly fantastic project.

Laying out a Sonic course is a mix of exploration, risk/reward, playful use of physics, skill testing and speedrun optimisation.

20110409015101%21Sonic1_MD_Map_Ghz1.png

Green Hill Zone act 1 from Sonic the Hedgehog (1991)

ManiaGHZ1.png

Green Hill zone Act 1 from Sonic Mania (2017)

SonicandKnuckles_MD_Map_Mh2.png

Mushroom Hill Zone Act 2 from Sonic & Knuckles (1994)

"How do you even play Sonic?"
The perfect question for a Sonic maker game.
The obvious answer is get from left to right without losing 3 lives.

And that's a perfectly fine gameplay goal.
But we could also do more:
  • Focus on Speed with time trial leaderboards.
  • Collect all Rings in a stage.
  • Or both? Now that's a real challenge
  • Kill all the enemies?
  • Hit all the special stages
  • Find all the item boxes.
  • 2 player competition mode?
  • No rings mode? Touching a ring is instant death

There's so many variables you could add in.

Boss design:
All the classic Dr. Robotnic eggmobile variations, with multi stage elements, pinch mode etc
Control the hit points.
As it's modular allow a ton of customisation and logic. The devs would need to create a lot of attachments but also allow the use of stage elements and most importantly allow interactions (again customisable) to allow the community to inovate.

Tile sets:
Of course all the classics from the Mega Drive.
Include a Pallet editors.
What would be really sick would be a full tile editor so stage aesthics could be designed from scratch for those who would want to put in the enormous time to make something half decent.

And there is so much more you can do.
You might be thinking oh this is just a shitty rip off of Mario Maker.

There's very little footage but Sega had a Sonic level creator on PlaySega.co.uk a decade ago.
And it featured a brand new tile set.

And of course if you input Up+C Down+C Left+C Right+C Start+C you got the original level editor, debug mode.

Sonic1_MD_Edit.png

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
In due time. Evening Star only formed a year ago. It'll take time to actually make the game.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And it was such a hit that Sega was forced to comment that they had no plans to expand or reuse the concept lol.

Sonic is slowly becoming MegaMan tier to modern Sega.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing about a Sonic Maker...

I don't want to play bad Sonic levels.

Mario Maker is full of shit. But Mario is fun to play. How much fun is it when you're playing Sonic and get stuck in a section and you lose all your momentum? Or you botch a jump and have to figure out how to get back into the groove?

Zero fun. It is 0% fun.

And that's a majority of what you're going to get with a Sonic Maker.

But I'm down for Sonic Mania 2!

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing about a Sonic Maker...

I don't want to play bad Sonic levels.

Mario Maker is full of shit. But Mario is fun to play. How much fun is it when you're playing Sonic and get stuck in a section and you lose all your momentum? Or you botch a jump and have to figure out how to get back into the groove?

Zero fun. It is 0% fun.

And that's a majority of what you're going to get with a Sonic Maker.

But I'm down for Sonic Mania 2!
QFT.
The fact that Mania 2 is not in pre-production at the very least right now is really weird, since it seemed the sales were pretty great for Sega.
As for sonic maker, we have had so many sonic games with bad 2d level design that shows how much it can become grating quickly. Would still play it if they made one, but i can already see the millions of un-signed death pits everywhere.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic always worked best when Japan was collaborating with Sega of America. Mania aside, the Sonic games have just gone downhill since SoJ took full control of the character towards the beginning of the Saturn launch in the states. I'm sure whoever is running the shitshow in Japan thinks they can do no wrong and that Mania was just a cute little release. Such gross mismanagement of a potentially razor sharp IP.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I loathe to think of what awful levels people would create in Sonic Maker. Not that it's even needed, since Sonic fans have been making their own games for years now.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
QFT.
The fact that Mania 2 is not in pre-production at the very least right now is really weird, since it seemed the sales were pretty great for Sega.
As for sonic maker, we have had so many sonic games with bad 2d level design that shows how much it can become grating quickly. Would still play it if they made one, but i can already see the millions of un-signed death pits everywhere.

Do we know anything about the sales, though?

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, i couldn't imagine a sonic maker working out well. any dingus can slap together a mario level -- even most mainline mario 2d levels are just completely flat the entire way through. the floor for an acceptable sonic level is considerably higher.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
A Mania successor project of some sort will probably come out in the next 2 or 3 years, but the original Mania team made their own studio and are working on an original IP. Perhaps we'll see it once they're finished with that.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want a Sonic Maker because Sonic level design is incredibly difficult and time consuming to get right. Even the official games gave up on pinball physics and telegraphing obstacles in 2005 when they added the boost button

I'm sure that we'll see either Sonic Mania 2 or an equally amazing game at some point soon when Evening Star reveals a game

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Sonic always worked best when Japan was collaborating with Sega of America. Mania aside, the Sonic games have just gone downhill since SoJ took full control of the character towards the beginning of the Saturn launch in the states. I'm sure whoever is running the shitshow in Japan thinks they can do no wrong and that Mania was just a cute little release. Such gross mismanagement of a potentially razor sharp IP.
Maybe yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why SoJ doesn't want to continue with Mania is vindictiveness over essentially being upstaged at their own game by a "mere" romhacker and like a dozen of his friends.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna say no thanks to Sonic Maker, but Mania 2 is something I would absolutely eat up. In an ideal world, it would already be in development.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
They're probably putting it all on the back burner for 30th anniversary projects :(

also this thread is hilarious because it just looks like the OP was banned for having opinions on Sonic haha

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic levels are way more long and complex than Mario levels, and a lot less conductive to the fuckery you see in Kaizo Mario levels, so a Sonic Maker would just be a no-go.

As for Mania 2...yeah, wtf?

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Sonic Maker would be awful OP.

Personally I'd rather see Sonic 3D Mania than SM2. Give us a good 3D Sonic please

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Never underestimate Sega's stupidity. They signed 3 (THREE) exclusives games for the Wii U, FFS...

Hey, they didn't know! The Wii sonic games always did well

However we can talk about how one of those games was never supposed to run on Wii U and ended up being a technical disaster

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Sonic Mania wasn't that long ago, let them cook!

Sonic Maker could be a lot of fun but I fear how many levels of quality we'll actually get

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Maybe yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if the reason why SoJ doesn't want to continue with Mania is vindictiveness over essentially being upstaged at their own game by a "mere" romhacker and like a dozen of his friends.
Knowing Sonic Team history, that would be completely plausible.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017

Iizuka played a very big role in the creation of Sonic Mania. The idea to even make a full game was his idea