• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
It's entirely possible that budget and staff could have been diverted to focus on Project RE:Fantasy though. Whatever Hashino cooks up as an IP could have a much higher priority than the entire Shin Megami Tensei series, which will never be able to break away from its niche audience
SMTV is a priority for them. It using UE4 and all the assets being created for it will probably get used a lot in future MegaTen games. The SMTV investment isnt just for one game.

I don't think they'll divert anything for a unproven IP even if it comes from an acclaimed studio.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EnchantedAllGoldfinch-small.gif

YellowMerryBeauceron-max-1mb.gif

Sartho

Jan 9, 2018
Well, we know Metroid Prime 4 was rebooted, and Nintendo doesn't usually like showing games off until they're not too far from release. Bayonetta 3 probably wasn't into full blown production until around the announcement. Wyze did a good job explaining what is probably happening with SMTV, and as for Pikmin 4, I think the game really was "almost finished" for Wii U, but due to the Wii U failing and the switch being in development, it was shelved for later. It probably also heavily used the gamepad, and needs to be remade.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
-MP4 has been rebooted a few months ago
-Bayonetta 3 will be revealed soonish, maybe TGA or the January/February Direct
-Pikmin is a mistery
-SMT V as others said will be the foundation for the following SMT games (I'm sure they will use the demon models from P5 though) so they are taking their time with this one

I agree that compared to the announcements Nintendo has done recently, the games revelaed during the first months of Switch life cycle were announced "to build hype", too early IMO, but it's easy to understand as WiiU was a failure and Nintendo wanted to get as much attention as possible.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I'm still waiting for games announced in 2015. At this point I can easily wait for 2017 stuff.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If Pikmin 4 was really close to being done, I assume they're just holding onto it to fill a gap. Pikmin isn't a huge seller, so putting out on it's lonesome during the holidays isn't probably a good idea, but the pre-Easter months might be. Nintendo wouldn't need it this year with Pokemon and Luigi (plus residual Mario Maker, Three Houses, Astral Chain, etc). They could next year.

Metroid got delayed and SMT and Bayonetta are just still in development. If Nintendo is heavily involved I imagine they just don't see a reason to showcase a half finished game years from release.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Atlus seems to function entirely on their schedule so I doubt the E3 bit. They'll probably upload a countdown website and then do a 4 hour stream to announce the release date of the next countdown for real information.
The responses are meant to be for the specific games in order, the E3 comment was for Prime 4.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
seems like nintendo needed to keep the eyes of the public on the switch and decided to anounce games that were nowhere near completion,contrary to their usual modus operandi.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
i've just been assuming that "pikmin 4 is almost done" was an exaggeration and that it was still early in development at the time. maybe it even got rebooted since then.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I think it's a bit strange to announce games that are far off (Bayonetta 3) before titles that are shipping in 2019 (Astral Chain). But I'm not particularly concerned about any of these titles, they'll come eventually.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Separate teams, has nothing to do with priority.

SMTV is using Unreal Engine 4, which has been a difficult task for many japanese developers to get used too, and it will, on a technical level be the most demanding HD console game Atlus has ever made (unless Project RE: Fantasy proves otherwise).

It's a real test of patience with this one, but i'm 99.99% certain we'll get juicy info about it soon.
It's a Switch exclusive, can't be any more impressive than Persona 5 Royal.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
MP4 is the new BOTW. Will come out at the final Switch moments and also a launch title for whatever hardware comes next. Except I have no faith in it's quality.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my sweet summer child, let me tell you the story of a little something called FF Versus XIII and his friend Kingdom Hearts 3...

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
You have no faith in its quality when they decided to reboot it because it wasn't good enough?
Nintendo initially gave MP4 to Namco instead of Retro, to me that looks like lack of faith in the studio. Retro also hasn't released a game in several years, supposedly because of dev hell and cancelled projects. So no I'm not confident.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Nintendo initially gave MP4 to Namco instead of Retro, to me that looks like lack of faith in the studio. Retro also hasn't released a game in several years, supposedly because of dev hell and cancelled projects. So no I'm not confident.
Or it's because they wanted Retro to work on something else, and thought only Retro could make Metroid Prime work in the end.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
We have the producer of SMTV popping up every so often in Famitsu interviews to assure everyone that it's going fine / just a large volume title which is why it's taking so long.

Here's every single time it was mentioned (click through the thread):

No news since January. 😭😭

I'm glad it's not being rushed, because I'm expecting Persona 5 quality and will be disappointed if it's not, but it still hurts.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
No news since January. 😭😭

I'm glad it's not being rushed, because I'm expecting Persona 5 quality and will be disappointed if it's not, but it still hurts.
The last update is from April actually:
GNN: Shin Megami Tensei V has been announced more than 2 years ago, but there has been no further announcements. We don't know what the current development progress is. Will it be developed on other platforms besides the Nintendo Switch?

Hiraoka: Shin Megami Tensei V is still under development. However, because this is Atlus' first time tackling Nintendo Switch game development, there are many things to consider. How to present the game is our future challenge, so please wait patiently for follow-up news.

(Persona 5 was really polished anyway, I don't get the "Persona 5 quality" comments and the usual Persona cycle now saying P4 is the best when it was P3 when P4 was out).

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
On the bright side, ATLUS loves to reuse assets, so their Switch follow-up should come much faster.