• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ahsoka left her original green lightsaber on her fake grave on Mandalore, but before she did, she pulled the crystal. Later, when she met Luke between ESB and RotJ, she gave it to him.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
There's all sorts of hidden temples bullshit in Star Wars. He probably found one and got the crystal there.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I remember when it used to be spelled kaiburr crystal. When did this kyber spelling start?

That's all I've got.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I guess when you consider that around 10,000 Jedi all ate shit on the same day, strewn across all different planets amidst chaotic battlefield environments, it's not hard to imagine a few might be around.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Knowing Disney, we'll probably all find out about it soon in Kyber: A Star Wars Story.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Hey....did Harry Potter steal that crystal/wand chooses you concept from Star Wars or is that a fantasy trope?

Laser Man

Oct 26, 2017
When I first saw that scene I thought he just aquired the knowledge how to build it, from spare parts of a microwave oven for all I care. Don't really need more than that (crystals? he a meth cook now or something?)

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't Obi Wan have collected Qui Gons from Naboo and kept it for Luke to use?

I suppose he could've, but the easier answer is probably just that Luke went and got a new one. There are kyber crystals on all sorts of planets, they're just rare and hard to find. Luke had enough time between Empire and Jedi to track one down.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Probably found in Obi-Wan's hut.

There was a deleted scene where Luke constructed it on Tatooine. Yes, deleted, but the idea still holds up.

The hilt is extremely similar to Obi-Wan's final lightsaber. It's easy to imagine Luke's was all from Obi-Wan's spare parts. Just compare them:

Luke+Skywalker.png

Profiles-In-History-2018-Icons-Idols-Auction-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Screen-Used-Lightsaber-Pulled-From-Auction-FI.jpg

You can look up prop replicas and toys and all sorts of shit to further compare, I opted for these screens in the end.

man, Luke's RotJ saber has always been one of my favorites

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't really care to know the prequel story of every single element in a fiction, but I had never seen this...

...and dang it's cool to see how they made such a good editing choice by removing that sequence. Nothing gets accomplished here, and it would have totally killed Luke's much more mysterious reveal later on. Even seeing the Falcon hints that Lando is already there. Weirdly satisfying to me to see how cutting those bits served the film so much.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care to know the prequel story of every single element in a fiction, but I had never seen this...

...and dang it's cool to see how they made such a good editing choice by removing that sequence. Nothing gets accomplished here, and it would have totally killed Luke's much more mysterious reveal later on. Even seeing the Falcon hints that Lando is already there. Weirdly satisfying to me to see how cutting those bits served the film so much.

It also doesn't help that Vader telepathically reaching out to Luke feels really dorky, but that might just come down to JEJ's line read there.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
It also doesn't help that Vader telepathically reaching out to Luke feels really dorky, but that might just come down to JEJ's line read there.
"Luukkkkkeeeeeee"

"LUUUKKKEEEEEEEEEEE"

Yeah, that too. Especially the way Luke barely reacts, which gives off this "Jesus, not this guy again" vibe. He's like a mom ignoring a five-year-old kid the first 20 times the kid says "mooooooooom" for no reason.

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Fun Fact.
Jedi Order kept many spare Kyber Crystals/Lightsabers parts From Jedi who deads in the past on The Temples.
If The Jedi/Padawan lost their Lightsaber they just grab and built the new one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that too. Especially the way Luke barely reacts, which gives off this "Jesus, not this guy again" vibe. He's like a mom ignoring a five-year-old kid the first 20 times the kid says "mooooooooom" for no reason.

If you listen very, very closely, you can just barely make out Luke whispering "unsubscribe".

Enkidu

Oct 27, 2017
This is definitely intentional. Also in the novelization of Episode 2 (which were considered canon in the Lucas era, not sure about now), it's noted that it was unusual (and maybe a little insulting) that Anakin's saber hilt doesn't resemble his master's, which was generally considered standard practice among the Jedi at the time. So it's also Luke acknowledging Obi-Wan as his master and rejecting the hilt that resembles Vader's, as part of his becoming his own Jedi independent of his father.
I mean, it's intentional in the sense that Luke's lightsabers in ROTJ are literally old Obi-Wan stunts from ANH. They were made to be sturdy (and hold a motorized rotating rod) and look like Obi-Wan's ligthsaber from a distance. Obi-Wan is actually using one of the stunt sabers in that comparison picture. No one knows for sure why it was done this way, but they apparently showed up to production with Luke's old lightsaber before they swapped, so the current theory is that someone missed that Luke lost his Lightsaber and needed a new one, and the best they had on hand were old Obi-Wan stunt sabers.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, it's intentional in the sense that Luke's lightsabers in ROTJ are literally old Obi-Wan stunts from ANH. They were made to be sturdy (and hold a motorized rotating rod) and look like Obi-Wan's ligthsaber from a distance. Obi-Wan is actually using one of the stunt sabers in that comparison picture. No one knows for sure why it was done this way, but they apparently showed up to production with Luke's old lightsaber before they swapped, so the current theory is that someone missed that Luke lost his Lightsaber and needed a new one, and the best they had on hand were old Obi-Wan stunt sabers.

Well that certainly tracks with Lucas forgetting to shoot Obi-Wan picking up Anakin's saber in Episode 3 and having to do it as a reshoot insert shot and CG it into the wide shots. For a series so focused on magic laser swords they sure do get forgotten by the production team a lot.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will always stick to the mindset that if it isn't in the movies, it isn't really canon. So, Kyber crystals are expanded universe stuff.
The crystals a big plot item in Rogue One. They call them by name and
the empire is explicitly active in collecting mass quantities of it for the death star. The main character even wears one as a charm on a necklace.

Last edited:

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
It was before kyber crystals were even thought of, there's no explaining it until they retcon something.

Grahf

Oct 27, 2017
Let's just wait for the inevitable movie/show/comic explaining it.

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Kyber Crystal The Green ? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you."

Deleted member 227

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is low-key the worst part of Star Wars lore, apparently every little detail need a background story and despite taking place across a galaxy it always involves the same 10 people.

I'm sure we'll find out in a spinoff that it's baby Yoda's fossilised shit or something from an old diaper.