• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
782d118a7fc286ac4dc002c0d99b56fd.gif

So, we know the production reason the new lightsaber is green is because it stands out better against a blue backdrop.

But that aside, where the hell does Luke obtain the parts--particularly a kyber crystal--to build it? We know that the Empire had occupied Illum, so he can't go there and have the crystal choose him. So where does he get one?

Does Obi-wan just have spares lying around? Or did he scavenge Qui-gon's green crystal for Luke to use later?

Or does Luke
buy Cere's crystal from the black market?

What do we think?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From Black Spire Outpost for $12.99 a pop.

Of course he sprang for the whole new lightsaber for a cool $200.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
It's the whole reason he was going to the Tosche Station in the first place, jfc

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He will probably defeat Sgt. Kreel in the post-ESB comics and take his saber's crystal.

kreel3hgjpq.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Ilum isn't the only planet where kyber crystals grow. They're rare, not impossible to find.

Hell, he could've grabbed a krayt dragon pearl on his own home planet and used that if he had to.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
In Disney's canon we don't know how Luke obtained the kyber crystal specifically but we do know that he found some "essential parts" in Obi-wan's home on Tatooine. The deleted scene above was retroactively made canon.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see it in a flashback in a Clone Wars follow with the same production values or better on D+.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In Disney's canon we don't know how Luke obtained the kyber crystal specifically but we do know that he found some "essential parts" in Obi-wan's home on Tatooine. The deleted scene above was retroactively made canon.

Would be kind of cool if that gets fleshed out more in the Obi-Wan series w Ewan...not that I'm the type to want everything explained but just showing Ben spend 19 years on Tatooine doesn't seem like a great series premise.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It's not Canon anymore, but it was explained in Shadows of the Empire. Apparently Obi wan left some instructions and some materials behind in his old place on Tatooine. IIRC, Luke made a synthetic crystal, as outlined in the instructions.

But new Canon? Yeah, I'm lost.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will always stick to the mindset that if it isn't in the movies, it isn't really canon. So, Kyber crystals are expanded universe stuff.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the real lightsaber were the friends he constructed along the way

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
Probably found in Obi-Wan's hut.

There was a deleted scene where Luke constructed it on Tatooine. Yes, deleted, but the idea still holds up.

The hilt is extremely similar to Obi-Wan's final lightsaber. It's easy to imagine Luke's was all from Obi-Wan's spare parts. Just compare them:

Luke+Skywalker.png

Profiles-In-History-2018-Icons-Idols-Auction-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Screen-Used-Lightsaber-Pulled-From-Auction-FI.jpg

You can look up prop replicas and toys and all sorts of shit to further compare, I opted for these screens in the end.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
I will always stick to the mindset that if it isn't in the movies, it isn't really canon. So, Kyber crystals are expanded universe stuff.

Kyber crystals are in Rogue One. They're canon.

Probably found in Obi-Wan's hut.

There was a deleted scene where Luke constructed it on Tatooine. Yes, deleted, but the idea still holds up.

The hilt is extremely similar to Obi-Wan's final lightsaber. It's easy to imagine Luke's was all from Obi-Wan's spare parts. Just compare them:

Luke+Skywalker.png

Profiles-In-History-2018-Icons-Idols-Auction-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-Screen-Used-Lightsaber-Pulled-From-Auction-FI.jpg

You can look up prop replicas and toys and all sorts of shit to further compare, I opted for these screens in the end.

This is definitely intentional. Also in the novelization of Episode 2 (which were considered canon in the Lucas era, not sure about now), it's noted that it was unusual (and maybe a little insulting) that Anakin's saber hilt doesn't resemble his master's, which was generally considered standard practice among the Jedi at the time. So it's also Luke acknowledging Obi-Wan as his master and rejecting the hilt that resembles Vader's, as part of his becoming his own Jedi independent of his father.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about new canon, but I think in the old canon it was a synthetic crystal of some sort, which is why it was green.

And Luke's green saber is the best saber.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's not Canon anymore, but it was explained in Shadows of the Empire. Apparently Obi wan left some instructions and some materials behind in his old place on Tatooine. IIRC, Luke made a synthetic crystal, as outlined in the instructions.
Yeah, I'll still use this even if it's not "official" any more.

At the end of TLJ, you can clearly see a crystal inside Luke's (Rey's) lightsaber after it's split in two. They didn't call it by name, but there's definitely a crystal in there.

Edit:

it-was-pretty-clear-that-the-crystal-was-broken-in-the-last-jedi-but-this-feels-like-official-con.jpeg

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
There's was no convoluted canon preventing him from getting a crystal when Jedi came out, so he picked it off the ground or some shit who cares.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Also Obi-Wan's journal was in the box he managed to squirrel out of it in his one visit before it got destroyed, so that could have probably led him to some alternative places to find one if it wasn't there already.