• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Or just your electronics miscellany in general?

I just moved, and I've realized how many errant electronic and charging cords etc I have. I know a lot of people will say "toss them" but most of these are multi-purpose. USB-A B & Cs, iPhone charging cords, power cords for things like PS4 & TVs... That's not even mentioning all the USB plug-in blocks I have

They used to be in just one big drawer but that was a nightmare. Anyone have a good solution? Please do feel free to post pics, I love some good organization.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I actually don't have a whole bunch of extras. I keep most of them wrapped up nicely in one of those Ikea cube things, but I also have a couple extra charging cables that I keep in a drawer.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I have a box, full of all things ethernet, USB and power related that aren't currently in use.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i keep the good ones and throw away the rest. i have a small stash of cords but only for stuff that isnt being used. i dont keep extras

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wrap em in a rubberband and then into a drawer where all of our miscellaneous cables go. It gets pretty cluttered and we clean it out every year or so.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
A big drawer that I'm honestly a little afraid every time I open. I need to organize it at some point but cables are literally the devil and won't stay organized :(

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have a few small plastic storage boxes with those kind of things. I don't buy electronics that often so I don't have a ton of spares.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My wife has a few of those ikea square shelving units throughout the house. The ones with the boxes in some of the spaces.
I put the spare cords in one of those boxes closest to my home office.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
I have a large plastic storage tote that I toss all miscellaneous electronics and the like into.

NickatNite

Oct 27, 2017
California
In a small toolbox, neatly organized, along with other "tech" stuff. Cable management ties/hooks, small tools, TX instrument Calculator, spare ethernet cable, shit along those lines.
I keep 1 extra/backup cable for all my regularly used devices.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Big ol' plastic tub in the cupboard for stuff I might need quicker access to, another tub in the garage for low priority bits likes extension cords and multi sockets.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I toss them all in one big plastic bin.

Getting some great ideas from this thread though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I have a large paint bucket that sits next to my entertainment center. It's basically full of cords.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've got like this black leather storage ottoman thing. Its just a mess. I hate looking in there.

toadsworth

Oct 25, 2017
I finally figured it out after my last move. I have plastic bags with each cord type in them. So, I've got a bag full of ethernet cords, a bag of usb-c, a bag of micro usb, etc. That way I know exactly which cord it is. For device-specific cords I do the same thing, but with the device itself in the bag (unless I use it a lot, then I stuff it in my charger cubby).

Oct 27, 2017
I got a big ass plastic tub in my closet. Keeping my cord collection organized is the worst fucking part of being gamer/electronics enthusiast.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I have them organized in freezer bags by what type of cord: audio/headphone/AUX, USB, or power related.

I used to have them in one huge jumbled mess that was threatening to become sentient, and one day I got extreme anxiety while trying to find the one I needed.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Coiled in gallon ziploc bags. I have enough spare USB, FireWire and Ethernet cables to run an entire business at this point.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I have one drawer of neatly wrapped go to cables with a few to spare, and one awful rat nest slammed into an ikea bin that I yank out and untangle like Christmas lights on the rare occasion I need a USB 3 cable or something.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I have a plastic bin in a drawer where I put all extra connector cables. I also have another bin for cables and other things that I actually could need. Like a good wall brick or my favorite multipurpose cable.

Oct 27, 2017
PR8HqqM.jpg

Got the idea for an over the door shoe organiser from Brad and Will Make a Tech Pod. It's basically full now since I organised my random cable drawers and boxes. Love it!

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
iPhone cables are in nearly every outlet of my home. This way, I never have to move the cable and adapter to a new outlet, they're always where they need to be in every room.

But other than Ethernet cables or longer versions of cables that come with electronics that are WAY too short (looking at the Micro USB charger cables that come with most headphones), I tend to pitch the rest. if they are truly "multi-purpose", then you'd probably use them. But instead, they live in storage for the single use-case you need to dig them out for, which rarely happens.

If you simply need to hang onto them, box and bury them deep into a closet and leave the easily-accessible storage for something you actually use.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I've been using cheap plastic storage boxes like this for a while:

casex2jyc.jpg

Not great for longer or thicker cables though, just isn't enough space.

PR8HqqM.jpg

Got the idea for an over the door shoe organiser from Brad and Will Make a Tech Pod. It's basically full now since I organised my random cable drawers and boxes. Love it!

Damn, this is actually a great idea. I even have one of these shoe organisers lying around from an earlier project.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have a huge box in the basement storage room full of completely unorganized electronic stuff.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I have a drawstring bag that is just full of stuff, I once organized everything by cord type into separate gallon ziploc bags then put all of those in the drawstring bag but over the years that went to shit and now it's just a mess of random cords.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Got a whole bunch of usb cables, hdmi cables, component, stereo, all in a bag in the closet. Every now and again I go fishing for something. Got a seperate bag for all my accumulated wall chargers, extension cords etc as well.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I used to have a giant plastic tub where I tossed all that stuff... which eventually expanded into a second. I moved last week, so I pulled out all the cables for all the stuff I use, plus a few extras like micro-USB and USB-Cs, and then threw everything else out.

Qasiel

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I have a few neatly away in a drawer in my study at home, a few in different locations near sockets for charging stuff and I also have a tupperware box full of spares in a shed. All of them are coiled neatly and secured with velcro strips to prevent mess/tangles.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Ughh, like 3-4 different plastic bags and containers with cords. I have a lot of old electronics but no idea what goes to what. One day I should probably take the hours it would take to sort and label the whole lot.

but not today

OP
OP
Stencil

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
PR8HqqM.jpg

Wow this is a great idea. I don't really have a convenient door to put it on (my closets use those slidy-foldy-doors) but I wonder if you could even roll it up like one of those knife roll bags...