• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
With 3D Zelda basically getting a reboot with BOTW, where does this leave 2D Zelda?

More of the same? Remakes of older titles like Awakening got? (The Oracle games could definitely benefit) Build up on a Link between worlds foundation? Minish Cap 2?

What exactly could they innovate with 2D?

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Something innovative that takes the LBW design philosophy forward and/or just remakes for a while using the LA engine.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd like for the LttP formula to continue with 2D games. I kinda think it works better there for gameplay purposes than it does in 3D.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Before Link's Awakening was revealed (around BotW's release), Aonuma made it clear that his team was still interested in making 2D Zeldas. There will be more, it's just a matter of when.

Oct 25, 2017
I have always attributed both Pokemon and those types of Zelda games to 'almost the same' template. Subscribe to my newsletter.

Happy with both games (new/remake/etc) getting visual makeovers (the recent Diamond/Pearl news, Link's Awakening remake) in various ways as both franchises grow.

I really didn't like WW style, but I like the game well enough. Link's Awakening's clay-mation stuff was alright but I love that it tried a new look too.

Link Between Worlds though was very much an ugly game. It was too committed to the old style, make those beautiful sprites cel-shaded and then we're in business.

You never hear people complain about Cadence of Hyrule's art, come to think of it.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought 2D Zelda might be their way of keeping the more traditional experiences going but BOTW's dominance is unparalleled and I think they're going to want to appease new people coming from that game. We might get elements that initial BOTW prototype in a boxed release.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Just go back to the LoZ roots. Drop link in the middle of a world with no direction of where to go. Make is less linear. Make dungeons large and challenging. Make rupees more scarce.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Sparse, occasional remakes and reimaginings over the next decade or two. The Switch 2 with get Oracle remakes, the Switch 3 will get a Minish Cap reimagining. Then in the 2040s it'll have been so long since a proper original 2D Zelda they'll use one to reboot the entire franchise.

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
I could see them go into a rogue like game style. Not exclusively, but the next one being similar to the random dungeon crawlers that are common in indie titles.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
I just played through all the 2D Zeldas, and man, they're just so much more replayable vs. the 3D ones.

I'd love them to take the open-ended nature of ALBW, put the items IN the dungeons again instead of in the overworld, and build a game in a new setting using the fundamentals of the Link's Awakening HD engine.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I honestly think 2D Zelda is a dead franchise, well except for some grezzo remakes once in a while

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Maybe they'll keep licensing it out and we get more experiments like Cadence of Hyrule.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
I think we will get a multiplayer Zelda game by Grezzo in the vein of Triforce Heroes and Four Swords before an original single player entry.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I think the next 2D Zelda could be the original game with looks reminiscent of the Switch version of Link's Awakening.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I want them to do something like what Link Between Worlds did. Keep the idea of having every dungeon item available from the start, so that you can choose where to go yourself. Put that idea in a new world.

Aegis Renfro

Jan 11, 2018
A new Four Swords, complete with a trailer featuring glamour footage of people taking Joycons off the Switch and handing them to friends for a jump-in-jump-out multiplayer demonstration. (You know it's coming at E3...)

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I expect something more akin to classic Zelda, but with lots of experimentation along the lines of ALBW and Triforce Heroes.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
I can see 2D Zelda staying more "traditional" while 3D continues its open-air format like BOTW.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I expect The Lego of Zelda for the 35th anniversary. Beyond that, who can say?

Bagu

Oct 27, 2017
I want them to take another crack at something like Zelda 2. With a stained glass aesthetic.