• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
My wife and I are moving from an apartment and into a house in a few weeks and we're realizing that we don't have a ton of furniture.

So Era, where do you get furniture, i.e. dressers, chairs, etc? We're looking for something above Ikea quality but not quite Room & Board.

We've looked at West Elm and Wayfair, but are there any other places you'd recommend?

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
This is a great question that my wife and I were just talking about. Thanks for making the thread.

In WA there used to be a Costco store that was 100% furniture that had some good stuff, but I don't think that's around unfortunately. My brother has a leather sectional from there that w/ the ottoman is basically a huge leather rectangle were 4 people can sleep. It's amazing for a game room and I want to find something similar, plus some other furniture for downstairs.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
My partner and I go to a furniture store, identify items we want, go home and start looking online for same type, sometimes even same piece, for a lot cheaper.

Marketplace on Facebook is a good source too if you don't mine 2nd hand.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Congrats on the new place. My girlfriend and I just moved into an apartment and used a bunch of different online retailers in addition to the two you listed:

Home Furniture, Home Decor & Outdoor Furniture | Pottery Barn

Shop Pottery Barn and find everything you need to decorate your home. Browse our expertly crafted indoor and outdoor furniture, accessories, decor, and more. Curbside pickup available.
www.article.com

Modern, Mid-Century and Scandinavian Furniture | Article

Great style is easy. Article offers stylish modern, mid century, and scandinavian furniture from world renowned designers at accessible prices. Shop now.
www.apt2b.com

Modern Furniture: Affordable Sofas, Chairs, Tables - Apt2B

Your search for affordable modern furniture stops here! At Apt2B, we bring you more style for less money. Outfit your space with stylish living, dining and bedroom furniture. From apartment-size sleeper sofas, sectionals, chairs, tables, to other fabulous furniture at discount prices when you...
www.cb2.com

Modern Furniture and Home Decor | CB2

Modern furniture and home decor. Explore the latest looks from CB2 – and discover modern furniture that’s sleek, chic, functional and comfortable.
www.containerstore.com

The Container Store | Organize Your Home with Storage & Closet Solutions

Storage & Organization Solutions! Shop for kitchen, closet, travel & home decor at The Container Store. Explore Custom Spaces and contact a designer today.

Home DĂ©cor Store | Affordable & Modern Furniture | One Kings Lane

Shop affordable home décor & stylish, chic furniture at One Kings Lane. Browse our collection of modern furniture, bedding, art & more or visit us in store!

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Costco has quality stuff and they back up everything. Ikea is particle board crap mostly but they have some good things, shelves etc

For example, if I want a leather sectional I'm checking Costco first

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Craigslist (Seriously, one of the best places to get furniture cheap)
Ikea
Wayfair
Overstock
Ashley Furniture

Oct 25, 2017
You should build it, nothing is going to bring you and your other closer together then goin and chopping down a tree and Mcgyvering that shit into a bed. Are you a real man or not...

OP
OP
Charcoal

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Congrats on the new place. My girlfriend and I just moved into an apartment and used a bunch of different online retailers in addition to the two you listed:

Home Furniture, Home Decor & Outdoor Furniture | Pottery Barn

Shop Pottery Barn and find everything you need to decorate your home. Browse our expertly crafted indoor and outdoor furniture, accessories, decor, and more. Curbside pickup available.
www.article.com

Modern, Mid-Century and Scandinavian Furniture | Article

Great style is easy. Article offers stylish modern, mid century, and scandinavian furniture from world renowned designers at accessible prices. Shop now.
www.apt2b.com

Modern Furniture: Affordable Sofas, Chairs, Tables - Apt2B

Your search for affordable modern furniture stops here! At Apt2B, we bring you more style for less money. Outfit your space with stylish living, dining and bedroom furniture. From apartment-size sleeper sofas, sectionals, chairs, tables, to other fabulous furniture at discount prices when you...
www.cb2.com

Modern Furniture and Home Decor | CB2

Modern furniture and home decor. Explore the latest looks from CB2 – and discover modern furniture that’s sleek, chic, functional and comfortable.
www.containerstore.com

The Container Store | Organize Your Home with Storage & Closet Solutions

Storage & Organization Solutions! Shop for kitchen, closet, travel & home decor at The Container Store. Explore Custom Spaces and contact a designer today.

Home DĂ©cor Store | Affordable & Modern Furniture | One Kings Lane

Shop affordable home décor & stylish, chic furniture at One Kings Lane. Browse our collection of modern furniture, bedding, art & more or visit us in store!
Thanks for this!

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
I'm liking the stuff I see here. Does anyone ever get any furniture from this site? I got a really nice birdbath from them but am thinking about getting furniture soon.

birchlane.com

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
My furniture has nearly all been cheap or free.

Hand-me-downs from family, cheap/free stuff acquaintances were offloading, some thrift store finds that have been refinished.

I'm currently set to get some really nice wooden bookshelves from an office that's getting rid of them. Free, just have to work out picking them up.

So I'd recommend using any connections and see what you come up with. Just mentioning you're looking for furniture could lead to surprising finds.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
wayfair/houzz... if you really want to personalize your own shit

i know buying furniture online is a no no with most people but i got an interior designer to come up with a base concept with my condo. rolled the dice on how funiture/fixtures would look in the actual physical space and viola. shit looks bangin

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I second Craigslist. Look around rich neighborhoods too - lots of barely used front room nice stuff, or staging furniture for cheap!

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
From our local furniture store. They are priced well, sell real wood stuff, and the delivery guys are super nice. We got pretty much everything in our house there over the years. Check around you to see if you have any decent places.

Valkyr

Oct 26, 2017
Our house is a ton of IKEA. For some of the nicer stuff like the sofa in our basement, we went to a furniture store. But yeah, I don't know what we would have done without IKEA.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
One day we will be able to afford something besides IKEA.

I've stayed away from WayFair since every other review I seem to read is about how the item came damaged. :(

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
If you have access to a facebook, check the marketplace there. Sometimes there's some really high quality stuff, people will even post things from like estate sales on there.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Over the last 5 years I've shifted mostly to Boston Interiors, a local chain to new England. Good quality furniture, higher prices than the bottom but you get what you pay for with furniture.

We got a lot of stuff in wayfair in the past but it's really hit or miss. Our outdoor furniture is from there and it's pretty good table and chairs set, but we had a bedroom set from there which is really crappy.

West Elm is still popular for online shops but it's kinda like... A step up from Ikea.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
My wife and I are moving from an apartment and into a house in a few weeks and we're realizing that we don't have a ton of furniture.

So Era, where do you get furniture, i.e. dressers, chairs, etc? We're looking for something above Ikea quality but not quite Room & Board.

We've looked at West Elm and Wayfair, but are there any other places you'd recommend?
1stopbedrooms.com

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Costco has quality stuff and they back up everything. Ikea is particle board crap mostly but they have some good things, shelves etc

For example, if I want a leather sectional I'm checking Costco first
Yup. My Costco stuff has held up fantastically. It's seasonal I️ think but it's probably worth the wait

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Have had good luck at the local regional chains. I'm sure theres one in your area OP.

Carol House in St Louis and Godby's in Indianapolis have both been fantastic. They're about as expensive as Ashley Furniture but I feel like Ashley's stuff falls apart super quickly.

Good solid wood furniture lasts a long time and is worth the investment even if it may seem expensive at first. May not hurt to ask elderly relatives since people often reach a point where they try to offload stuff and the older stuff is often solid wood.

A lot of old solid wood furniture can be repainted and rehabbed into something more contemporary looking too.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Is Bob's Discount Furniture nationwide or just northeast? We got a ton of our stuff from there and love it.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
They have been mentioned before but both Amazon and Target have their own lines of furniture in addition to 3rd party stuff they sell. Target has a line called Project 62 which some decent stylish modern interpretations of mid century furniture. Amazon has their Rivet line which is cb2/west elmish. Amazon has another line called stone and beam which is all farmhouse chic (barf) but to each their own right?

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
One day we will be able to afford something besides IKEA.

I've stayed away from WayFair since every other review I seem to read is about how the item came damaged. :(
Not for nothing, but if the item does come damaged, they may let you keep the item without returning it.

My mom just purchased a $1000 bed and one of the usb ports was damaged. She called to complain, they offered to either send someone over to fix it or just send her another one. She chose to get another one and they didn't ask her to send the damaged one back. Now she has two $1000 beds and is about to sell the damaged one lol.

I have no idea how common this is but I was pretty floored at this level of customer service. Then again, she is a loyal customer to them.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why people says that Ikea is only cheap stuff. They have a pretty wide range of furnitures for pretty much every budget, and their stuff will never go out of style.