• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
a small-ish (?) Chilean forum called "Smackgames", that was the official (I think) forum for the TV show of the same name, broadcast during the weekends by a small channel around the turn of the millennium. Smackgames was basically a "geek" TV show that featured videogames, anime, wrestling and music stuff that definitely wasn't on the mainstream, and said channel also broadcast the then-WWF right after Smackgames. It was a very nice block of TV and it was the first approach to wrestling some of us had.

Smackgames, the *forum* also followed the same template - it was a haven for "geek" stuff, with subforums for wrestling, videogames, anime and music, plus some "techie" interests (PC building and OSes, gadgets and so on). TBH I was a 12 year old kid back then (2000/2001) but I had a lot of fun whenever I could log in. I mean, those were the days before broadband internet became mainstream/accessible here in Chile so I essentially depended on "Cyber CafƩs" for internet connection, and it was a half-hour every couple of days at *most*. Wasn't cheap, wasn't that fast either, but I made the most of it. Logging into the Smackgames forum, logging into my MSN Messenger account and chatting with my buddies from other cities and countries for a bunch of minutes and that was it.

Shortly after that I stumbled upon a Tolkien/Fantasy website based on Spain, called ElFenomeno.com, and I became a regular at their forum. Its layout was a goddamn nightmare (it looked like a goddamn comment section for each "topic" instead of a proper board) but I loved the community there and I met some people there who became *very* important in my life a couple of years later. I'll always treasure that website because of those people I ended up meeting. And it was, as you'd expect, a very "geeky" discussion board - with some Tolkien purists who had no love whatsoever for the PJ movies (or movie, singular, as FOTR had just been released and the world was waiting on TTT) and others who were noobs to the whole thing and the FOTR movie had pretty much been their gateway to Tolkien's body of work. That meant the discussions there were very interesting, with the knowledgeable folk trying to summarize info from the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and the History of Middle Earth books to people who had no idea anything like that existed. Great times.

Those two were my first proper forums.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Shane Glines art board (which became) > drawing board dot org > Nintendorks > NeoGAF (joined about 2006) > ResetERA

Every now and then I try to go back home to Nintendorks, but I can never quite stick. And recently they went Discord only, so that makes it even tougher.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
A smallish Brazilian Yugioh forum, then an smallish anime forum. Then the Brazilian's biggest video-game forum (UOL Jogos). When I learned English, a migrated to Narutofan Forums (to talk about One Piece lol) and then GAF.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I wouldn't be surprised if I'd made some posts on the old Nick.com message boards before it, but the first forums I definitely remember being active on were the old TV.com forums, which I joined back in 2006 when I was 9/10 years old. I remember posting nearly exclusively on the board for SpongeBob SquarePants. Sadly the TV.com forums shut down back in 2016 and the entire TV.com website closed last year, so I can't go back to look at my dumbass posts from when I was literally still in elementary school.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
The first message board I remember participating in was for The Red Green Show, using the Macs in the school library.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
NintendoNation (probably after it changed from NintendoNext) around 99? Those were some memorable times! When that closed, I think some refugees ended up at TehSuparSecret forum (ā€¦lol). I think that died, and then to Gaf and now here.

mute

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
Square Gamer in 98-99 or so.

Gamefaqs and Penny Arcade sometime after that. Some more Gundam/Final Fantasy boards mixed in there too.

Oct 25, 2017
I lurked on the official Star Wars forums when I was young, then I lurked on System Wars at Gamespot for a bit and marveled at all the crazies there, participated some in the separate console forums there until I ended up on GAF around 2010, been here ever since. Haven't really been an active member anywhere else, though I occasionally post on Gearspace (formerly Gearslutz).

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
A DBZ text-based RPG (used AOL Chat Rooms) that I participated in had a Forum. I posted on there occasionally but when the Admin shut it down I kinda fell off forums for a long while. Joined an anime club one in college for a couple of years. Finally almost a decade later, decided to join this one since it was the only place I saw that didn't look like a COMPLETE dumpster fire.

nihilence

nĆøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
For games it was Nintendo Next/Nation and Team Xbox. I don't remember participating in Nintendojo, just browsed, same with Nintendorks. Then hopped over to the other place before here. And CAG for deals.

For my other hobby hockey, there was a manufacturer provided board that folded. At the same time another coaching site hosted the largest board and moded there until a software upgraded killed it and was abandoned.

Last edited:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
3D Action Planet was my first forum under the handle 'Dr Foxy'. Then to Penny Arcade as plagiarize, before migrating to the old place when Penny Arcade shut down the 'megathreads' and my community of Xbox 360 friends was scattered to the winds.

Red Comet

Jan 6, 2018
GameFaqs/GameSpot circa 2005. Stayed on GameSpot til they did a site overhaul that fucked with the forums. Migrated to GiantBomb briefly before finding NeoGaF and then here. Hopefully my forever home. Fun fact: I've been posting on Internet forums for over 15 years and have never been moderated as far as I am aware. I'm that boring.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
As far as gaming forums go Al little known cesspool known as the MySpace Videogame Forums. Boy was that place interesting lol.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Started on an official .Hack//G.U fan forum that was made to promote those games when they were new. When that shut down I moved over to an unofficial version of that site made by some people who wanted to keep that community together. Eventually moved over to a Naruto/Anime forum which I ended up moderating for a while (Don't make a 14 year old a moderator of a forum btw) and MyAnimeList. Had some other communities mixed in but those were the main ones early on. After that it was Escapist -> Giantbomb -> GAF -> Era.

Oct 27, 2017
Gamefaqs, ultimate guitar, IGN vestibule, gamespot, giantbomb, misc bb forum, gaf, then Era. Used random forums all the time for gaming and music and general miscellaneous conversation from around 2004 maybe.

GameFAQs was for sure the OG for me. My friend introduced me to it at his house when we were looking for RuneScape information, I was still in elementary school lol. I didn't make account or post on a forum until I was in like high school, like ultimate guitar in 2012

Last edited:

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Started out on a Swedish community called Skunk back in the late 90's, but I didn't register on any international forums until I created an account over at IGN around 2005 or 2006.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I don't know where I started, exactly. I started using the Internet regularly somewhere around 1997. I thought my earliest account might be on Lemon64.com, the main Commodore 64 forum, but my account appears to go back only to 2002. I was on Penny Arcade for a good few years and was known to a lot of people there, I think that was the early 2000's as well though. That forum got a lot of new users and many of the older users I'd known had left for whatever reason, so I went looking elsewhere. That's when I found NeoGAF.

I was fairly active on the old site and was beginning to somewhat become known as a regular. Then that died and it took me a long time to get onto ResetEra - I'd gotten on to the old place with an IBM email but I no longer had that. Think it took me like a year to get on to Era. Now I'm not all that active anymore and I'm back to people not having a clue who I am :)

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
First forum was the Foo Fighters Postboard and, as much as I like Era, there's absolutely no forum that has ever compared to the FFPB and never will. It was fucking legit.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
Bid_for_Power_Game_Cover.jpg

DBZ mod for Quake 3 called Bid For Power had an awesome forum, think I joined that in 2001. Might have been on other forums before that but that was the main one I remember.

The mod eventually got taken down because funimation saw it and DMCA'd it lol. They replayed all character models after that. The forum was very awesome with some talented flash artists at the time making movies/memes about forum members. It was good times.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
GameSpot's forum but mostly as a lurker. Moved over to GameTrailers and became an active member and that felt like my first proper "home" on the internet. I moved to the old place while I was in uni 10ish years ago and sort of left GT behind, and then moved here during the relocation. There were other smaller, more specific, forums that I became a member of but those were my main ones.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I guess 1up. It was a shit place with even shittier writers but I had a lot of leftover goodwill from EGM.

I had zero interest in hanging out on the internet until I was like late twenties. I played WoW near daily but I very rarely just browsed the internet. Then I kinda started reading online gaming pieces more when EGM and then Nintendo Power folded. Once I noticed that half the gaming articles I read sourced the old place, I went there for my news.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
IGN Forums Represent. I still wish they stuck to their original roots and didn't try to downgrade it through terrible UI redesigns.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
IGN forums in the 90s. I was a mod on there for a while, with my main focus being Phantasy Star Online and watching over that board and organizing guild or whatever they were called runs.

I then stopped really going to forums during college because of life and just used AIM. I then got turned to NeoGaf because of the 1up podcasts talking about it, and of course moved here during the great exodus.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
German Gamepro Forum, 18 or 19 years ago. Looking back at my posts would make me cringe to death :)
Next forum was maniac.de for a few years. Left because I had some beef with some of the users and the mods. Place was dying anyway. Finally managed to get into neogaf during that time. Stopped using gaf when Era was born.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My mom used to post on a lot of forums in the 90s and early 2000s and she'd show them to me and that's what got me interested in them. I think the first forum I made an account on was a DDR one, but the first one I became a prominent member of was the EGM forums at 1up.com

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
The Nintendo NSider Forums in 2006. It's still probably the least toxic experience I've ever had with a forum to date and created a lifelong love in these spaces, though whenever I look back at what little was archived there it becomes clear that the userbase there was very young, with almost everyone being in middle or high school.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My first forum was Hyrule Town Square, which was Nintendo's forum for Windwaker and predated NSider, when I was 13. Moved over to NSider when that opened, and was there until it closed, though I didn't visit it a lot by the end. From there, went to GAF, and now here.

hachikoma

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
insert credit (we were all going to change videogame journalism forever!) and anandtech. IC changed my life - so many internet friends who became real friends, meetups, scrambles to get folks into E3, etc. very good times, and half of us have transitioned by now lol.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
GameFAQs in the late 90s.

Moved to IGN around 2000 and was a mod on there for a few years ā€” including when they put all the forums behind the Insider paywall without warning, which was fun.

Started spending more time on NTSC-uk in the mid-2000s.

Moved to GAF around 2006 based mainly on listening to 1UP Yours, though I'd been aware of Gaming Age for a while.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
forum.gamer.nl (long defunct now, though the main website still exists), then NeoGAF, now here.

BourbonAFC

Oct 26, 2017
Can't remember if I started with Gamespot System Wars or the Evil Dead fansite deadites.net

I think it was the latter. Surprisingly, it's still going.

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the best times I ever had were on Console Wars Gamespot forums; we were all a bunch of degenerates. Sheep, cows and lemmings.

Then I grew up and moved to NeoGAF to actually discuss video games.
yeah I loved it then but it was not healthy lol. I was a huge Wii and ds fanboy at the time tho I really did play everything. crazy stupid immature times lol

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Gamefaqs -> IGN -> Serebiiforums/Bulbagarden -> Narutofan or w/e it was called -> GAF -> Era

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Neoseeker/GameFAQs ā€“ posted on the former on several accounts (not as alts but as I grew tired of one "identity" or the other) and mostly lurked the latter, save for the metal forum

edit: nice to see some other Neoseekers. I think it's still around. No doubt it's nothing like its heyday.

Last edited: