• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
cheatCC and GameFAQs originally, but mostly just for guides and stuff.

Nintendo NSider was the first forum I was active in for years, up until it shut down. Occasionally posted in the gametrailers forum as well, and the PlayStation Underground forums.

From there, I moved to the old place and then here. That's pretty much it lol.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Gamefaqs at first for a few years then the Elder Scrolls and Fable forums helped me realize that I needed to get away from the GF toxicity.

Elder scrolls led me to the old site since it was once okay to post scans of magazines there and obviously from there to here.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Gamefaqs or ign but mainly ign I think, also back around 97 I believe

Oh man I totally fucking forgot about cheatcc, used to love that shit for codes lmao

slider

Nov 10, 2020
It feels odd saying it but I think I started with Sherdog. Up until a few years ago they used to email me a happy birthday message.

Big Tex

Oct 28, 2017
Some dial-up message boards that were listed in the paper. BBS stuff

Then AOL message boards, GameFaqs…. Eventually old place, then here

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Gamestop forums initially in the early 2000s for a few years. Then GAF in like 2005/6. Then here.

I spent some time on the BioWare forums, but not a ton. That's about it. Never really tried anywhere else.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
First forum I actually really interacted with was highdefdigest. I had gotten a PS3 and was choosing between HDD and Blu-Ray.com. Well, HDD no longer has a forum section and Blu-Ray is still going. Every once in awhile I'll see someone from there over here.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I was into video games as a kid, particularly Mario/Nintendo. One of the first sites I found was Super Mario Bros HQ which I really liked. Through it I also found a site called NintendoLand. Those sites, along with a few others, were under a larger site called VGF, which I believe was Video Games First. The shared forums between the sites was where I first started posting on message boards. Very early on, prior to Melee being released in the west, I was also on Smashboards. As far as general video game forums go, I migrated eventually to GameFAQs, then the other place, then here. I believe VGF and the SMBHQ are still technically out there, but they aren't really active.

Edit: Dang, SMBHQ died some point last year.

Last edited:

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
undisputedonline.net

It was a gaming forum dedicated to the UFC games. We would have fight cards on there. People would meet at an agreed upon time and possibly livestream their matches. They had an xbox and PS3 division, fight camps. Shit was fun.

I didnt have streaming software so just set up my phone lol

There were actually about 3-4 more sites/leagues like that one, but UOC was the biggest. I think a good chunk of them died out when the UFC game started implementing their own leagues and card makers ingame along with the fact that the quality/popularity of the games went down.

Thinking about it, it mightve been Gamefaqs boards that led me to UOC, when I was just looking on tips for a fighter build or something.
Gamefaqs > UOC >Gaf > Coli/Boxden/Era

Last edited:

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
The GIA, I horsed around online before that but I think that was the first forum I actually joined.

Taurus Silver

Big ol' Nerd
Oct 29, 2017
Started using forums for e-wrestling back in like 99-00. Then I moved to the Xbox Forums, then that one place and now I'm here.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I think maybe FilePlanet or one of those old ass sites, followed by Gametrailers and maybe a few others. Also SevenString.org back when it was more lively and active.

Eventually found the old site, and then was part of the big migration to Era.

Majin Boo

Oct 26, 2017
I started with mercadia.de, a German MtG forum/market place (must have been in 2000 or 2001), followed by some other TCG related forums (etcg.de; pokefans.net; pojo.com; mtgsalvation.com). Afterwards I got more into video games and trophy hunting (trophies.de; playstationtrophies.org), and discovered the old place in 2010 when my RDR hype made me search for new places to get info and discussions about the game.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Neowin.net

Started as a member then graduated to Forum Moderator (of their gaming section) then Global Moderator (still primarily stayed in the gaming section) and then ultimately became a member of the News team with a heavy focus on gaming.

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
HLFallout.net.

Before that, Game Room 1 in Yahoo chatrooms.

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
Back around 1994 or 1995, my parents were trying to find the internet service they liked best, so we briefly tried CompuServe and Prodigy before settling on AOL. I definitely made posts on each of those services, but I mostly remember the AOL days, which we had until we got a "regular" internet provider in 1997.

The stuff that especially stands out are all the total BS rumors about recruiting characters in Super Mario RPG: Jonathan Jones, Luigi, etc.

Hedge

Oct 26, 2017
GameFAQs
IGN
Graffe (EQ forum)
Random HL mods forums (pre-steam)
Gaming Age (2002 I think I came there)

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
My friend showed me The Escapist a long time ago for Yahtzee. Around 2011ish, I noticed there was a forum button and clicked on it. Decided to sign up. I left that place after Gamergate and site management ruined it. Remained gone after the revamp as they decided to unban everyone they banned previously. The only people who joined back were of course the Gamergaters who got banned.

I just came here then. I prefer it here, racist, sexist, whatever else terrible shit known in gaming normally just gets the ban. Making this place a lot more bearable.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
A forum on a small warez (pirated software) website. Not long after I was on the PlanetFortress forums for a while.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Probably IGN forums? Im sure I was on some kind of pokemon forums before that. I know there was some zelda site that had like the theory of the timeline and everything that had forums, mightve been there before IGN?

I actually only ended up at the 'old forum' because I randomly was banned for 'spam' on the ign forums with no recourse.... I really didn't post much and definltey never posted spam.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I started on Mega Man fan forums back in the early 2000s. I don't remember the names of all of them but there was Planet Mega Man, Blue Bomber Community, Atomic Fire and some others

Oct 25, 2017
Local bbs and prodigy in the pre-www era. Loved the gaming bbs-legend of the red dragon and trade wars. Also chatting about warez and fun stuff like that. All local as did not want the rents to get a hefty long distance bill....

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Gamespot. Long time ago
Changed to Neogaf since most gaming news came from there anyway, back in the day. Then there was the migration to Era.

Macheezmo

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was something like:

GameFAQs -> DDRFreak - > ScoreHero -> CheapAssGamer -> GAF -> ERA

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Naruto forums.

Fucking pisses me off the staff over there try to run that thing into the ground with their bs.

Then gaf and era.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming:
Sega Saturn forum (forgot name) > Sega Dreamcast.net > VFDC> Magic box > old forum > era

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was all over the place as a kid. I recall being on Gamefaqs, IRC chatrooms, Yahoo and AOL chatrooms. I finally settled down at CloudChaser Forums which I think turned into Modojo Forums. After that place shit the bed, I moved onto GAF and now ERA. My next move is probably Reddit if this place ever dies.