• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RPGamer92

Oct 25, 2017
If this counts as port begging, feel free to close it mods. But does anyone else find it weird that LAD is coming to XB and PC seemingly before the other games?

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If this counts as port begging, feel free to close it mods. But does anyone else find it weird that LAD is coming to XB and PC seemingly before the other games?

Nope, because despite its numbered title in Japan, Yakuza: Like a Dragon is basically a fresh start for the series, so it makes sense to release simultaneously on all platforms.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not that weird, clearly it was going to get localized for PS4 and they wanted the benefit of being able to market them all at once. Especially since it's a genre shift and soft reboot / new entry point for the series.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Nope, because despite its numbered title in Japan, Yakuza: Like a Dragon is basically a fresh start for the series, so it makes sense to release simultaneously on all platforms.
there's a lot more that ties Like a Dragon to the older Yakuza games story-wise, I'd highly recommend people playing the previous titles before jumping into Like a Dragon

this isn't quite Judgment in terms of a 'break off' story

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza 7 was had an overhaul to attract new players so they gave it priority.

So yeah, if you are a brawler fan like me then you gotta wait until Y7 gets out of the way.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
there's a lot more that ties Like a Dragon to the older Yakuza games story-wise, I'd highly recommend people playing the previous titles before jumping into Like a Dragon

this isn't quite Judgment in terms of a 'break off' story

Oh I'm sure. At least for the west though it's being branded as a new start.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
I can understand Yakuza 3-5. PS3 ports, I get it.

But the absence of Yakuza 6 is just....fuckin' bizarre.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We still have six months at least until Like A Dragon comes out, so we could still see some or all of 3-6 drop on PC in the meantime

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Where's Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan? :(

I imported it, but I miss so much of what is said. So incredibly appealing, better than mainline plot. :(

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Got a feeling we'll hear about the other games coming to both pc and xbox before this one actually launches for them. We'll get something like spring 2021.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think they're coming, but Like a Dragon has priority as it's a new entry port and doesn't need the older games to be enjoyed.

Remember Yakuza 6 for PC was literally confirmed to be happening and then they just went silent on it.
So likely after LaD releases we'll see 3-6 make their way to PC.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I wasn't sure how they were going to handle that OP, but I think this is a smart move, since the game feels like a fresh start, new protagonist and all.

It also probably makes sense from a development standpoint. They just released 3-5 remastered, and 0 and Kiwami on Xbox, with Kiwami 2 coming soon. They probably need some time to port 3-6 to PC and Xbox. I can always play those on PS3/PS4 if I get impatient.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
Got a feeling we'll hear about the other games coming to both pc and xbox before this one actually launches for them. We'll get something like spring 2021.
That's what I figure will happen as well. I just seriously cannot imagine they're going to leave 3-6 out in the cold after they already brought over the others (well, Kiwami 2 is still coming, but still).

There are a lot of months left in the year, especially prior to the next consoles coming out. Maybe they'll pull a surprise announcement and release the day following like they kind of did with Yakuza Kiwami.

Now Judgment I could maybe see waiting until after Like a Dragon is out. I could also maybe see them doing the free upgrade route on that too.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Given that Yakuza 0 and the Kiwami games launched straight on to Game Pass, I expect they'll do the same for the Yakuza collection, and maybe 6. Perhaps they're waiting to hold an XGP blowout, but I see no reason why they won't be announced soon.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I can understand Yakuza 3-5. PS3 ports, I get it.

But the absence of Yakuza 6 is just....fuckin' bizarre.

What makes this odd is Yakuza 6 was announced alongside 0 and Kiwami 1 PC announcements. They announced Kiwami 2 after those, and yet no 6.

I imagine their PC strategy is to try to release them in chronological order. I imagine in terms of releases, they'll do three in the form of the 3-5 collection, 6, and Judgment. Whether or not that happens before 7 is the question mark here.

sredgrin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What makes this odd is Yakuza 6 was announced alongside 0 and Kiwami 1 PC announcements. They announced Kiwami 2 after those, and yet no 6.

I imagine their PC strategy is to try to release them in chronological order. I imagine in terms of releases, they'll do three in the form of the 3-5 collection, 6, and Judgment. Whether or not that happens before 7 is the question mark here.

They never announced 6 officially, it was listed in a fiscal report but never commented on.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017

6 was never announced. 6 was leaked via a financial report but just never appeared, instead Kiwami 2 was released instead. Which at the time made sense for them to include it before 6 because it was the next game in the Yakuza series, but jumping 3-6 for 7 kinda makes that reason questionable. 7's probably just coming before because Sega want to release the game on all platforms at once, rather than stagger the game releases, but still those who don't play 5 and 6 before 7 will lose a bit of the impact of certain parts of the game...

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I liked the staggered release of Zero and Kiwami on Game Pass so far. Kiwami 2 will arrive soon. I'd assume they can continue this very well until Like A Dragon is launching and do the PC ports alongside it. All Yakuza games that came to Game Pass were also on PC Game Pass. Therefore, a simultaneous release might not be unlikely, plus Steam obviously. I expect Judgement to only come later though.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yes I want this so bad (even though I plan to get it on PS4).

Already have...

Yakuza 0 on both PS4 and PC

Yakuza Kiwami on both PS4 and PC

Yakuza Kiwami 2 on PS4 (will get on PC later)

Yakuza 6 on PS4.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
PC Gaming Show is in June. If SEGA is in attendance there, that's where the announcements of more "Best of Japan" games should be happening.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Sega went radio silent on 3-5 coming to the PS4 in the West until they were ready. I'm sure the others will end up on Xbox eventually.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza 7 was given the priority, and 3, 4 5 and 6 can still release before 7 comes out, they just don't need as much marketing, adn can be more or less shadowdropped on gamepass.

Deleted member 4532

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think they're still coming as SEGA has been pretty good with the Yakuza releases so far. Just be patient for a bit longer.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry for bumping a thread but, i wonder how well the zero-kiwami-kiwami 2 was in term of sales on PC

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for bumping a thread but, i wonder how well the zero-kiwami-kiwami 2 was in term of sales on PC
I'd imagine, pretty well. I was reading a snippet of an interview yesterday that briefly touched on overseas sales - they mentioned that due to the series getting a more worldwide audience as of late, the games are selling more/for a much longer time (usually sales would fizzle out in Japan, but this isn't really the case anymore). 0 and 6 were cited as examples, and while 6 isn't on PC/Xbox yet, 0 obviously is and is pretty popular. I'd have assumed we'd have heard more in June with what Sega plans to do with the series on PC etc. but I guess we'll be waiting a bit longer now (understandable with what's happening). Its a matter of when, not if for sure.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Looks like I was right with my older post. Like A Dragon is definitely the focus currently. As this will be the first time A Yakuza game has ever launched on multiple platforms in the west and all on the same day.

Unless Sega surprises us this summer, i'd imagine nothing else is coming until after that game comes out.
Since apparently it has an english dub too. So they're taking that game very seriously and likely have all hands on deck until it's done.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I was right with my older post. Like A Dragon is definitely the focus currently. As this will be the first time A Yakuza game has ever launched on multiple platforms in the west and all on the same day.

Unless Sega surprises us this summer, i'd imagine nothing else is coming until after that game comes out.
Since apparently it has an english dub too. So they're taking that game very seriously and likely have all hands on deck until it's done.
The English dub is sorta up in the air at the moment - Steam lists no such thing on its pre order page and the perfect time to have shown it off - The Xbox Showcase used the Japanese voice track instead. Could still happen, but I wouldn't hold out as much hope as previously.