• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any?

I don't simply mean indie stealth games - there are several of those and many are directly influenced by Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid. I mean those with that distinct Splinter Cell flavour where light and dark and making use of gadgets/items are important.

(btw how are those Styx games?)

Has anyone taken up the mantle?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Most stealth games fall into the "throw a rock to distract enemy while moving through tall grass/crouch behind boxes. That's the go-to stealth design these days

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
No light or shadow, but I feel like Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 capture that gadget-driven carefully-observe-&-time-your-sneaking stealth better than anything else currently

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Styx and the sequel.

Velvet Assassin

Maybe Plaque Tale, but that's a stretch.

There's not many. AA or indie stealth games typically have either well designed encounters with simple mechanics, or rudimentary stealth; 3rd person and gadgets narrows the field further.

Hitman, I guess? The new trilogy isn't really AAA per se, but is excellent.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Intravenous on Steam

Teeth-clenching stealth, followed by tactical hardcore gunplay for those not looking for a quiet way in. Intravenous redefines challenging stealth-action and will keep you on the edge of your seat!

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
This looks interesting but some of those user reviews give me pause.
store.steampowered.com

Intravenous on Steam

Teeth-clenching stealth, followed by tactical hardcore gunplay for those not looking for a quiet way in. Intravenous redefines challenging stealth-action and will keep you on the edge of your seat!
This isn't really what I was looking for but reading more about it, it could be an interesting stand-in.
Styx games are very fun budget games. Really like the world and characters.
Yeh I have one of them in my Library but never tried it. I guess I should fix that.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
No light or shadow, but I feel like Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 capture that gadget-driven carefully-observe-&-time your sneaking stealth better than anything else currently
Absolutely.
BTW: they`ve just released the standalone expansion for Shadow Tactics:

store.steampowered.com

Shadow Tactics: Aiko's Choice on Steam

Aiko's Choice is the anticipated standalone expansion to the acclaimed stealth strategy game Shadow Tactics. Set in Edo Japan, you take control of the skillful kunoichi adept Aiko and her deadly assassin friends to hunt down the ghosts of her past.

Oct 27, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Volume on Steam

Pure stealth action and infinite level creation from the award-winning studio behind Thomas Was Alone. Enter the Volume to halt Gisborne Industries' corruption and train the masses to rob from the rich. Features weekly content updates in curated Staff Picks section.

EDIT: As Fury 451 mentioned, Velvet Assassin might fit the bill. It's not the most polished game out there, but I had a lot of fun with it.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
No light or shadow, but I feel like Shadow Tactics and Desperados 3 capture that gadget-driven carefully-observe-&-time-your-sneaking stealth better than anything else currently
Played 'em and appreciate 'em both.

Hello. I am using this thread to mention the best game of 2015

Eh....it's fine for what it is, but not at all like SC.

store.steampowered.com

Volume on Steam

Pure stealth action and infinite level creation from the award-winning studio behind Thomas Was Alone. Enter the Volume to halt Gisborne Industries' corruption and train the masses to rob from the rich. Features weekly content updates in curated Staff Picks section.

EDIT: As Fury 451 mentioned, Velvet Assassin might fit the bill. It's not the most polished game out there, but I had a lot of fun with it.
It's honestly amazing just how many Steam games I've never heard of.

FatalT

Feb 24, 2019
I was hoping for more asymmetrical spies vs mercs games but that never really happened. That mode was AMAZING!

SolidSnack

Oct 28, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Intruder on Steam

The ultimate spy-vs-guards simulator. Carefully sneak your way to the objective as Intruders or use the wide variety of tactical gadgets to trap your opponents as Guards. Intruder allows for stealth, teamwork, and environmental interactions never before seen in a multiplayer game.

This game is basically indie Spies Vs Mercs. had a lot of fun with it at launch, but I think the playerbase is pretty small now.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A lot of them came and went in the PS2 generation. Stuff like rogue ops being a very blatant one.

Styx is a good one though. Both if them. Maybe a bit less splinter cell and more thief though.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Styx is the closest, including light and shadow mechanic. It's pretty good! I think it's on sale on Xbox.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Intruder on Steam

The ultimate spy-vs-guards simulator. Carefully sneak your way to the objective as Intruders or use the wide variety of tactical gadgets to trap your opponents as Guards. Intruder allows for stealth, teamwork, and environmental interactions never before seen in a multiplayer game.

This game is basically indie Spies Vs Mercs. had a lot of fun with it at launch, but I think the playerbase is pretty small now.
This. Great game that not that many people play.

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
store.steampowered.com

Intruder on Steam

These are great but they're multiplayer only.

This thread is mad depressing
Indeed...

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

Not at all like Splinter Cell but this might interest those that love stealth.

store.steampowered.com

Shadow Tactics: Aiko's Choice on Steam

Aiko's Choice is the anticipated standalone expansion to the acclaimed stealth strategy game Shadow Tactics. Set in Edo Japan, you take control of the skillful kunoichi adept Aiko and her deadly assassin friends to hunt down the ghosts of her past.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's just a very hard style of game to make well, and they need to be made well to be worth anything.
I'd welcome Splinter Cell inspired game as the replacement for the Souls inspired metroidvania roguelite with open arms.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
This looks interesting but some of those user reviews give me pause.

This isn't really what I was looking for but reading more about it, it could be an interesting stand-in.

Yeh I have one of them in my Library but never tried it. I guess I should fix that.
It really scratches the itch you're looking for. Again, if you go in knowing it's AA so has a bit of bad voice acting and so on, it's a wonderful experience. Really fun games. Have you looked into the recent Hitman games?

OP
OP
Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It really scratches the itch you're looking for. Again, if you go in knowing it's AA so has a bit of bad voice acting and so on, it's a wonderful experience. Really fun games. Have you looked into the recent Hitman games?
Yes, though I haven't gotten round to 3 yet. I just really miss Splinter Cell specifically. I recently bought the original Xbox version of Double Agent and it reminded me that there's barely anything else like it.