• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Both Mario and Zelda seem to now go with really boring static images or basic text scroll instead of using animated scenes.
Nier Automata's various staff rolls were the best I can think of recently, and Undertale was kind of fun similar to Earthbound and Death Stranding was pretty unique.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts continues to use the credits to show a sort of "after the adventure" look at the different worlds you finished, sometimes clearing up plot points that were left dangling

But yeah Nintendo moving away from fun credits sucks. At least Smash Bros. continues to be perfect in that regard.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Splatoon's are great because since every name is a unique piece of art rather than just text

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ai: The Somnium Files has a really, really wonderful credits sequence that totally caught me off guard. Had me smiling ear to ear.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
AI: The Somnium Files had an...interesting...credits sequence. I'm still not sure how I feel about it to be honest, but it's certainly memorable.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
Dragon Quest XI has a pretty awesome one (won't spoil it here, but I loved it). I'll agree with BotW's credits sucking though, I hope the sequel at the very least brings back original staff roll music, along with a better main menu too.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Super Mario Odyssey's credits sucked

It also broke the mainline Mario trend of having a unique credits roll theme

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Want to keep adding to the sentiment that the credits for AI Somnium Files is incredible. The absolute perfect end to that journey.

Accoun

Oct 25, 2017
THPS2 credits weren't any interesting by themselves (just scrolling text IIRC), but they gave you a cheat code at the end. With a cute message along the lines of "Why the hell are you still here? OK, have something for your patience".

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
Will always be preferential to the Fire Emblem, Skies of Arcadia, etc, staff roll where you get an epilogue about all your characters and what they get up to after the end.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal

Silent Hill Shattered Memories.
The incentive to watch the credits is that while the names of the devs scroll on the left side, the psychiatrist that has been assessing your behavior throughout the whole game types observations about who you (as Heather) are.
IMO, the bad ending's song > good ending's song.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Smash Bros. Melee is still the greatest.

I did appreciate Rayman Legends' credits, where you can still play. Although I gotta say it still took too long, even with the added distraction.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts is consistently the GOAT, since you get a cute epilogue for every world you've visited over the credits:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I'm disappointed that BotW neither had an animated intro or credits. This was the last great Zelda credits sequence they did imo:

That would be Skyward Sword console-wise for me! Awesome medley, awesome showing of Zelda's adventures while Link was out on his.

edit: And since that's from almost a decade ago, here's a recent one I enjoyed, but mostly for the song!

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

The first and only victory lap credits theme for Pokemon, and it was executed flawlessly. The music especially is far better than BW1, which is way too energetic for a credits theme, and it has its cues and instrumental nods to the cities that make it this super subtle, extremely mellow, and oddly nostalgic(even when I played it then in 2013) track that just gets you in its hooks.