• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
I know there a good number of Scots on ERA, please make yourselves known in this thread.

I'm up near Aberdeen.

Let's get some Irn Bru as it is clearly the best drink ever invented since we are in one of the few countries in the world where Coca Cola isn't the top selling soft drink.

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoots.

Cure for hangover: A boatel eh Irn Bru, a black puddin' egg and bacon oan a floury roll wi' brown sauce
Favorite Chair: A bucket. Who's bucket? Oor bucket.
Favorite Curse/Insults: Bawbag, Jobbie, Radge
Nightmare Fuel: Wee Jimmie Krankie's love life.
Favorite Comedians: Big Yin, Limmy, Gregor Fisher, Craig Ferguson
Favorite Musicians: Big Country, Runrig. Deacon Blue, Simple Minds, Shirley Manson, Annie Lennox, Mike Scott
Most Missed Tradition: Bumper Radio Times and TV Times editions at Christmas, Welcome to the Ceilidh on Hogmanay
Tradition that Frightens New American Family: Porage with a pinch of salt and a splash of milk.
Childhood Memory: Waking up at 6am and having to watch this for an hour before the cartoons started on Saturday.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
There was a Scot-Era thread somewhere. Anyway, I'm in Warsaw right now. It's fucking freezing and reminds me a great deal of Glasgow.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Highlands here, kinda disappointed we haven't had any winter wonderland snowfall this year but I can't complain when they've got flooding down south.

Also, Irn Bru is like... Tier b or c to me.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm American but my heritage is half Scottish and half German. MacHadley is my Scottish side.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
I'm from the lands below Hadrian's Wall originally, but now permanently reside in Dundee.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm not Scottish, but after finally going there last spring, I would like someone in this thread to adopt me so that I can live there.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Hello! Used to live in East Renfrewshire area and now live in West Dunbartonshire area.

We have a ScotEra thread :).

What my wife here said ^ feel free to come over to the Scotera thread. It's not too active but more Scots are always welcome there :)

also I have loads of Irn Bru in the fridge. I tend to swap around drinks every so often to avoid boredom. Right now it's Irn Bru and some cans of Fanta :D

graemebuchan

Mar 29, 2019
Aye aye, fit likey!

I'm fae up the north-east, the Bloo Toon. Nae too caul up here iday, bit been blawin' a hooly the past few days ina...

FWIW Irn Bru Xtra is magic.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
Hoots.

Cure for hangover: A boatel eh Irn Bru, a black puddin' egg and bacon oan a floury roll wi' brown sauce
Favorite Chair: A bucket. Who's bucket? Oor bucket.
Favorite Curse/Insults: Bawbag, Jobbie, Radge
Nightmare Fuel: Wee Jimmie Krankie's love life.
Favorite Comedians: Big Yin, Limmy, Gregor Fisher, Craig Ferguson
Favorite Musicians: Big Country, Runrig. Deacon Blue, Simple Minds, Shirley Manson, Annie Lennox, Mike Scott
Most Missed Tradition: Bumper Radio Times and TV Times editions at Christmas, Welcome to the Ceilidh on Hogmanay
Tradition that Frightens New American Family: Porage with a pinch of salt and a splash of milk.
Childhood Memory: Waking up at 6am and having to watch this for an hour before the cartoons started on Saturday.

Favorite Film: Trainspotting, Trainspotting 2?

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Favorite Film: Trainspotting, Trainspotting 2?

I love both of those films (the first is the better film but the sequel was much more personal for my specific situation) , but the most historically accurate biopic ever, Highlander, has a place in my heart. I also love the Mary Queen of Scots adaptation with Vanessa Redgrave, Robin and Marion (sean connery) and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie are fantastic. Not 100% Scottish obviously, but Whisky Galore, Local Hero. Gregory's Girl and a few others spring to mind.

Is there a Lemmings statue in Scotland?

No there's a statue of a gangster pummeling a hooker to steal her Buick tho.

For real though this new statue was built long after I left and while I bet the locals have mixed feelings about it, I think it's absolutely badass. It's called The Kelpies (evil Scottish mythical horses that live in the water - sometimes as surf, sometimes as malicious silent horrors from deep blackness of lochs and kill children by dragging them below) and they're 100 feet tall and lit up at night. I think they're INCREDIBLE.

TGfJ2Fb.jpg

lmvYNoZ.jpg

Last edited:

McEwan

Jan 30, 2020
I'm currently in Edinburgh but was born and raised in sunny Kilwinning down in Ayrshire.

I am not sure if i am meant to be posh or not.

And Dandelion & Burdock FTW

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Whoa.

Scotland Trivia Note for Americans: See those little stubs of shaved metal on the stone hummock, bottom left? That's where the Victorian railings were sawn off in WWII to supply steel for the war effort. It happened disproportionately in Scotland in working class neighborhoods - and fancy neighborhoods and London were not impacted by it as much - although they were blitzed on the regular so it's kind of a balanced inequity.

So in a lot of large Scottish towns and cities, you'll see this everywhere there are larger stone-built neighborhoods - the original iron railings either left unrepaired (as shown here) leaving otherwise inexplicable stone trip hazards in front of parks and tenements - that and the near absence of elderly men vs women in the 1970s, were mind-blowing revelations of the sacrifices of WWII for me as a wee toerag.

And Dandelion & Burdock FTW

No.

I already have to tell Americans that Root Beer is disgusting. Don't give them a retort.

Miles Iz Ded

Oct 28, 2017
Perth here. Smack in the middle of Scotland. Not much happens around here but only about an hour from Glasgow and Edinburgh for a guid night oot or decent gigs.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not there now, but I spent a semester in Aberdeen during college, it was an amazing experience. So many friendly people, I miss you guys.

Also, it was the only time I ever saw a pub brawl spill outside in broad daylight, so there's that as well.

PS: Why did they stop making Wispa Mint? That was the best! American candy is rubbish in comparison to the stuff you guys have.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I'm not Scottish but I have lived in Edinburgh for over 7 years now, so I consider it home. Best country.

I am a dirty Englishman however.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Aye, aye? Scottish Borderer (Duns) here - I'm your first line of defence (or traitors who'd attack anybody if there was a bit of stealing and fighting in it) living in Wakefield now though.

Fun fact - my home town is where the term Dunce comes from, via John Duns Scotus.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aye, aye? Scottish Borderer (Duns) here - I'm your first line of defence (or traitors who'd attack anybody if there was a bit of stealing and fighting in it) living in Wakefield now though.

Fun fact - my home town is where the term Dunce comes from, via John Duns Scotus.

Fun fact I always tell tourists not to sleep on the Borders- by all means do Edinburgh and the highlands and st Andrew's but the border country is a hidden gorgeous gem especially in summer. Start at st abbs head and drive inland for forests and hills and beautiful villages and castles and a different side of Scotland than postcards show. Same for the trossachs