• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Far as I can tell they are MIA. Where is the spirit of John Lewis? Is Joyce Beatty the only one?

How is it that we are not seeing Governors and congress folks and senators and city council folk on the front lines of this? Especially on the the state and local level?

Where the hell are they? Just happy to watch from the sidelines and complain about this or that?

The hell is that. We out here taking all the risk and they don't seem to give a shit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Joyce Beatty here in Columbus got pepper sprayed by police at a BLM rally

www.politico.com

African-American congresswoman pepper-sprayed during racism protest

Joyce Beatty was trying to deescalate a confrontation with police.

Yep that's one that I mentioned in poliera. I'll put it in OT but I literally have not seen anything else of value outside of Jacob Frey getting his ass booed out (and that is part of it imo, no second attempt exposes the problem, and he clearly has not changed his mind). In Mpls the only real one I've seen is Jeremiah Ellison city council he does show up here an there. That's it.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Well it's bump night. Imo an important topic and I wanna hear more.
you posted this less than 10 minutes ago near midnight on a US-centric forum

but for reference:
www.forbes.com

All The Times Police Arrested Or Attacked Politicians At Protests

Many protesters have been demanding slashed police budgets, and police have pepper-sprayed some of the people in charge of those decisions.

nypost.com

AOC, Warren and Harris among notable politicians protesting for George Floyd

Members of Congress on both sides of the political aisle are being spotted among the thousands of demonstrators protesting the murder of George Floyd. On Tuesday evening, protesters gathering outsi…

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you posted this less than 10 minutes ago near midnight on a US-centric forum

but for reference:
www.forbes.com

All The Times Police Arrested Or Attacked Politicians At Protests

Many protesters have been demanding slashed police budgets, and police have pepper-sprayed some of the people in charge of those decisions.

nypost.com

AOC, Warren and Harris among notable politicians protesting for George Floyd

Members of Congress on both sides of the political aisle are being spotted among the thousands of demonstrators protesting the murder of George Floyd. On Tuesday evening, protesters gathering outsi…

So 5 incidents? Proves my point. I would expect 5+ incidents in literally every American city if the locals and statewides were actually on the ground for any of this across multiple massive protests in their cities. And yeah lots of other threads going much harder and it's 9pm PT on the same US centric forum lol.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
I've asked and wondered this myself. It feels like they don't really care since they are somewhat protected but it would be nice to see some effort. Even if they can't be out marching, something even Romney did once, at least they should be making noise and making statements/ laws to help protect and defend the people out protesting. Where are the people in national leadership positions that disagree with what's happening and want to change it? We know how one side feels, they wear it on their sleeve and are loud and proud about it, why can't we have "leaders" on the other side do the same just as often, instead of just trying to wait until it all hopefully magically starts to go away and get better in November? I get they can't all be out there but I would hope that there would be more that are and that after seeing firsthand what's happening that they would have more to say and laws/ changes to draft.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've asked and wondered this myself. It feels like they don't really care since they are somewhat protected but it would be nice to see some effort. Even if they can't be out marching, something even Romney did once, at least they should be making noise and making statements/ laws to help protect and defend the people out protesting. Where are the people in national leadership positions that disagree with what's happening and want to change it? We know how one side feels, they wear it on their sleeve and are loud and proud about it, why can't we have "leaders" on the other side do the same just as often, instead of just trying to wait until it all hopefully magically starts to go away and get better in November?

To me I have the biggest problem with city councils and state level officials. I can kind of excuse folks in the national Congress and Senate because of health and safety concerns (and actually it speaks volumes that I'm not sure we've seen a single US senator outside of Romney willing to go out). But if you are a state congressional rep or state senator or city council person or governor, where are you? What are they doing? Seems like pretty much nada.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Oh I agree with you on state level, I just see those as basically by default they should be around. Ideally anyway. But, I can't excuse any of them, state or national for not doing something more than the nothing they seem to be happy with. If you're in a leadership position I expect you to lead. If you can't be out in the groups understandable, but you should not be able to sit at home comfortable, knowing what's happening out here, seeing and hearing the lies and violence inciting speech used by other politicians. For every wannabe general threatening violence we need multiple state and national politicians speaking against it and really finding laws to stop it. And following through with not just stopping it but the repercussions that go along with it.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
They are comfortable with police.
I dunno if I'd say comfortable, exactly. DeBlasio's relationship with the NYPD feels more like a hostage situation than anything else.

One of the things that these protests exposed for me is the extent to which the cops run a lot of major metros. Do what we want or we'll bring the city to a halt or doxx your family. Straight up mob shit. Still, it's their job to represent their constituencies - if that means having to take on the police department, that's the job.

Granted, some of them actually are just comfortable with 'em. Fuck those guys specifically.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
To me I have the biggest problem with city councils and state level officials. I can kind of excuse folks in the national Congress and Senate because of health and safety concerns (and actually it speaks volumes that I'm not sure we've seen a single US senator outside of Romney willing to go out). But if you are a state congressional rep or state senator or city council person or governor, where are you? What are they doing? Seems like pretty much nada.
Huh? BAD just linked you an article with Warren and Harris attending rallies and they're not the only ones that have done so.

Heres an article where Doug Jones spoke at a a rally - https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/dem...-front-of-birmingham-police-headquarters.html

Here's one with Dick Durbin - https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/a...d-Black-Lives-Matters-rallies-in-15339652.php

Blumenthal - https://lymeline.com/2020/06/studen...including-sen-blumenthal-state-sen-needleman/

Duckworth, Durbin, and Pritzker- https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/bl...06-19-2020/h_66251eb718a16461aeaea7eb3aa0b234

Baldwin - http://www.milwaukeeindependent.com/articles/senator-tammy-baldwin-our-march-for-racial-justice/

All of these took a simple google search, none of them got the national media coverage someone like Romney gets for going against the grain of his party though.

As for governors and local city council members, the same thing applies; you're not gonna find them in national coverage unless police attack them directly. The ones that do attend will be covered by local media. And the ones not attending are cause the protests are against them and the policies they are enacting. Like the mayor of Minneapolis booed out of a rally or protestors going to the houses of the mayor of L.A., the D.A. of L.A, and the mayor of Seattle demanding change. A lot of these issues people are demanding have to be changed at the local level and city officials won't be welcomed at these events until they're open to changing the way policing works in the cities.

OP
OP

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Huh? BAD just linked you an article with Warren and Harris attending rallies and they're not the only ones that have done so.

Heres an article where Doug Jones spoke at a a rally - https://www.al.com/news/2020/05/dem...-front-of-birmingham-police-headquarters.html

Here's one with Dick Durbin - https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/a...d-Black-Lives-Matters-rallies-in-15339652.php

Blumenthal - https://lymeline.com/2020/06/studen...including-sen-blumenthal-state-sen-needleman/

Duckworth, Durbin, and Pritzker- https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/bl...06-19-2020/h_66251eb718a16461aeaea7eb3aa0b234

Baldwin - http://www.milwaukeeindependent.com/articles/senator-tammy-baldwin-our-march-for-racial-justice/

All of these took a simple google search, none of them got the national media coverage someone like Romney gets for going against the grain of his party though.

As for governors and local city council members, the same thing applies; you're not gonna find them in national coverage unless police attack them directly. The ones that do attend will be covered by local media. And the ones not attending are cause the protests are against them and the policies they are enacting. Like the mayor of Minneapolis booed out of a rally or protestors going to the houses of the mayor of L.A., the D.A. of L.A, and the mayor of Seattle demanding change. A lot of these issues people are demanding have to be changed at the local level and city officials won't be welcomed at these events until they're open to changing the way policing works in the cities.

Yeah my bad to BAD lol. And we're still talking about a literal handful. I already said that but should not have said what I said about Romney. My bad.

Can you show me a pic of Klob or Tina Smith on the ground? Don't think so. It's still a shitty deal imo so many do not seem to be on the ground esp on a more local level and it's the same deal pretty much everywhere.

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
I mean, I feel the need to point out that if they're trying to help, their time will be much better spent writing laws, lobbying, etc. Not public stuff, if they're out with the protesters, they're not helping, they're just running PR for reelection.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Losing to white women who didn't go to one, and have no chance of beating McConnell.

5ed435ed6a6a9.image.jpg

I'm still salty.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I feel the need to point out that if they're trying to help, their time will be much better spent writing laws, lobbying, etc. Not public stuff, if they're out with the protesters, they're not helping, they're just running PR for reelection.

Yes, there's little conversation to be had surrounding this.

Most politicians aren't activists. Some are and have been on the street (and were the type to be on the street before this whole thing.) The ones that aren't should be working to provide tangible results and outcomes.