• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
-Obama '08
-90s Dream Team Olympic basketball games
- That short period between 9-11 and the Birth of the Global War on Terror
-Flipping Georgia in the recent election cycle

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do you think New Zealanders are weird if they're proud of their nation for having 0 coronavirus cases?
Yes. It's weird, and fundamentally dangerous, for anyone to be proud of anything which you did not play a role in executing. If you're a healthcare worker or did something related to that effort, then of course you should be proud as hell of your work, and I suppose you can be proud of how you, as an individual or a family, followed quarantine regulations, but it isn't wise to claim to be proud of what other people did. Such rhetoric will eventually, inevitably lead to ruin.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
You can't take genuine pride in what others do without your input. You can take pride in what others do if you had a hand in making it happen, like being proud of a child graduating college or being proud of your actions to promote a political cause but I don't think you can take pride in something in which you played no part. To do so is simply self-indulgent nonsense which eventually take the form of nationalism and exceptionalism. You should be happy when your country or your community or whatever does good things but that ain't pride.
Completely disagree, have you never felt proud of other people?

The issue here I think is that lots of ERA don't see their average fellow Americans as "their own people". They identify as specific kinds of American like being a Democrat, they don't see themselves as having the same identity as a Trumper, for example. In other words, this is why you can feel proud of your siblings or friends but not of a total stranger or someone you don't consider your own kind, it's hard to feel pride because someone you normally disapprove of did something good. America is often led by conservative ideas so it's hard for progressives to feel proud of the things that their country does, because even when it moves forward, there are still all the issues that alienate them.

If the question had been broader, asking people all over the world when they felt proud of their hometown, or their sports team, or the party they support, or their co-workers, things like that, OP would get many more positive answers because the question would aim closer to people's identities even if they personally had nothing to do with whatever made them proud.

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
The first time was listening to Adam Schiffs impassioned speeches during Trumps first impeachment.

I knew the Republicans we're going to let him off but Schiff did such a professional and masterful job during those hearings that I couldn't help but feel a little bit of what having pride in your country and your elected officials is supposed to be like.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
the night bin laden raid was announced?

idk if "pride" is the right word, but I remember everyone got along for just one night

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Never. You can't take pride in something you didn't do yourself, anything else is just pointless hubris.
People say that as if that would make reality different. Fact is people do feel pride in accomplishments that they have not directly participated in. Most notably children.

Drakeon

Oct 25, 2017
Obama being elected and gay marriage being federally legalized both gave me a sense of optimism that, though we had many, many problems, we were at least taking steps forward.

Naive as it sounds in retrospect, 2016 was a rude awakening.
Vividly remember being proud on election night 2008.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
When I was in 5th grade 9/11 happened, and every morning after the pledge we would sing Proud to Be an American by Lee Greenwood in its entirety. Probably then.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was at least a little proud when the courts and even republican election officials very definitively stopped Trumps challenges to the election results. At least some things in the system still work.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Patriotism has seemed idiotic to me for as long as I can remember. I'm guessing the last time I felt proud to be an American was sometime when I was a kid and they spoon-fed me that stuff with crap like the pledge of allegiance.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
The last time I felt something like "pride" was that video call between Bernie Sanders, AOC and the other Squad members during of the 2020 election. Bernie told them "you make me feel less alone." Maybe this was more like hope than pride but it was a nice moment, though it's hard to to square that feeling when looking at the rest of the election results.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Never.

www.resetera.com

So I Just Found Out That in The US You Have Very Limited Sick Leave

Checking Twitter I stumble upon this tweet After reading about this on Twitter, I decided to look into this and it seems that compared to many other parts of the world, the US is way behind when it comes to sick leave. The average amount of sick days for someone in America is just around a...

America is a pile of stuff that needs fixing. It's a chore.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Not like, at a thing we accomplished, but the Obama "Hall of Presidents" show made me pretty content living here.

That's... it. We do tend to get media early?

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty proud when Georgia elected two Democratic Senators on January 5th, to be honest. Although maybe I'm confusing pride with relief.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
When Obama was president, but that was only because I was ignorant to the actual reality in America concerning economic and social inequality. Looking back, I shouldn't have been.

Mar 10, 2018
When all 50 states simultaneously protested the George Floyd murder. But that was moreso pride in humanity collectively, seeing as how there were protests all over the world.

thebeeks

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Texas, USA
A handful of years ago I went to the Johnson Space Center in Houston and got to see the Saturn V close up. All I could think was "Oh my god, this went into space. People built this giant thing and it went into SPACE."
I felt a sense of pride, but I'm not sure it was a pride in America. Maybe more of a pride in humanity in general.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Never. There are humanity moments to take pride in, protests against oppression and police brutality, Mars landings, etc, but not toward the country or the country as a whole.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I'm generally not patriotic at all but I turn into a "USA USA" idiot whenever I argue with a British friend of mine about food

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When all those Euro-folk thanked us for arresting and ending corruption in FIFA.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The morning Georgia flipped felt pretty good. Like we aren't completely lost, just mostly lost.

....Then I went to sleep immediately and just woke up to see this thread. Everything still good?

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
Never.
The concept is weird af to me,and imo just gives people a new avenue to separate themselves/feel superior to other human beings.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
The election of Obama, and the re-election of Obama were times I felt pretty proud. I was young and it felt like it would be a killing blow for racism.

I'm older now and wiser due to experience.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Same-sex marriage ruling from the Supreme Court.

But then I remembered that it was in the mid-2010s before this happened and the pride evaporated.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never. I've always enjoyed history. When you know it's history you can't be proud of this broken and fucked up country.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When the courts made gay marriage the law of the land was definitely great. White house did the lights. Was amazing. I went to one of the first gay marriages in America and so 10ish years later to see it extended to everyone was amazing.

Also patriotism isn't dumb, jingoism is.

Patriotism is what motivates you to use your privilege to make your country better for those who don't have the same privilege as you.

You don't love your country because it's perfect for you. You love your country to make it more perfect for other people.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the only time is the Olympics when American athletes do well in an event. But that feels like nationalistic conditioning. The athletes and teams themselves deserve the pride, not the countries.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Never really. I didn't think about it as a child and when 9/11 happened growing up, even I could see insitutions of power moving for their own greed and convenience on the backs of those who died. It sucked because I knew quite a few people impacted by the crash.