• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just something I was thinking of. I'm trying the free trial of Final Fantasy XIV and was using a name generator for my character and I'm glad I did because it turns out there's specific naming schemes for these races. See I'm a bit of a stickler in trying to make sure whatever I name a character fits in the setting of the series.

If it's something like Persona or early Final Fantasy I always use canon names or whatever name is closest to canon. If none's available I still try and make sure it fits. I wouldn't imagine walking around as a Japanese teenager named Joe Bob Smith.

Are you like this to or do you just not care and name your character whatever?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Every time. I hate playing games without lore appropriate names. Nothing kills me more than going online and getting deep into a story only to party with someone named AnimeWaifu26 or whatever.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Depends. I have a few names that I cycle through depending on the setting (i.e. a fantasy name that I usually use for fantasy settings, a realistic name I use for realistic settings, etc.)

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Kinda but I don't think too hard about it. I've used Kyra for a lot of my recent characters, and before that I decided to go with Vergil as a Dante's Inferno reference for XCX.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on that and just name them either butts or spoopy

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No. I name him something dumb, like Ownage, and move on.

You're probably better off just naming my characters for me.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I used to always use my grandfather's name until I had a kid, which is the ultimate character creator, and used the name for him.

Now I obviously don't have time to play games.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
I do, but I'm so shit at naming things I usually use a name generator online or use the default one.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i name my characters either GOKU (allcaps required) or after DBZ attacks

if you ever see a tall purple lady in FF14 named Hellzone Grenade
that's me

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Yes my characters always have in universe names. Sometimes it leads me to spend more in naming them then actually creating them.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I don't really care, I just use my name on everything unless the character already has a "default" name, like Link or Ness. I'd never use a joke name though as that seems really immersion breaking.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.
In JRPGs I name the protag after myself and everyone else after friends & family that most fit the character.
In other games with CaC I just use a name I think is cool.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
If there's not a default name I throw the game in the fucking trash. If it was digital I throw away the system and buy a new one.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Nope, though for each game I usually name all my characters based on some theme. It might be colours, minerals, flowers, whatever.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. Most of the time I will. I tend to use goofy names in Blizzard games like WoW and Diablo. Like my D3 barbarian's name is HulkSmash.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nope.

Shizuru Tokiha every time if it fits.

That or Seiros/Rhea since FE3H about 1/3rd of the time or if it's a Nintendo game.

That said I do leave all names characters their name like (Byleth/Link/Cloud).

Oct 27, 2017
I try to name my characters strong sounding names. SO picks the most ridiculous - he helps me sometimes. Last one is my DS1 char Venus Chopcock.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Half of my FF14 characters are lore appropriate, the other half is dumb memes. The one that's both is my male Elezen character named "Haurchefant Withbeard" and it's literally Haurchefant but with a beard.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I definitely did in ffxiv. I suppose I just wanted to immerse myself in the world otherwise. In most other games I don't.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I forget where I saw this but there was an interview for Persona 4 talking about bug testing for the character naming screen if English players wanted name their character all uppercase Os (OOOOOOOOO) which would overflow the text boxes and lamenting what a waste it was because "whatever, y'all gonna name the guy Souji Seta anyway".

... I mean, that's what I did, no lie.

1) Default
2) character's given name in some other form of media
3) my real gender neutral but consistently appearing in fantasy/sci fi settings name
4) Randomizer
5) Some name of a recent character I've played/seen/read that has a flimsy connection to the character I'm playing

But I don't have to stray from step 1 too often.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Yes. Medieval sounding names in RPG's for example, meanwhile a good friend goes with Harry Twatter for his mage. Different strokes...

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Nah

When I boot up Persona 5 Royal next week, Joker's name will be Roch Hoch

Oct 27, 2017
I do, but always with a dumb twist. For instance, I named my Dark Souls 3 character Lord SlimButtocks or something like that. Still kinda fits the universe, KINDA.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Feel like my full name Arcarius Mexen fits any universe. So I just go with that or one or the other depending on character limitations.
Once in a while, I'll just give a random name.
In Outer Worlds, I created a female character and named her Felicia.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I usually use my real name Connor but if I'm playing some fantasy game like Elder Scrolls or FFXIV I name my charecter Conneth.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I usually roll with the default/canon name (Byleth, Corrin, Robin, Ren Amamiya, Yu Narukami, Makoto Yuki, etc.) whenever possible.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'll go with the default canon names. If not I use deceased pets names, kind of as a tribute. I'll usually pick the one that's most...in world appropriate

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
:raiseshand:

If the game has canon names (like TLoZ or even Earthbound) I'll stick to those.

If there's a character creator I'll name with something that is usually my brother's (or mine) name re-fit so that it sounds in line with the game's

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I use the canon names if they exist and I'm aware of them. If they don't or I'm not, I don't. . .uuuuuusually bother with naming conventions. Funny enough, if I don't use either my username or my real name it tends to tank my immersion more than getting cute (although funny enough my username is fitting for fantasy games but kinda strange in modern settings).

But I played Skyrim enough times binging it on the Switch to make it an exception. In that case I am Runs-Toward-Danger, renowned Argonian train wreck. If I pick up TES 6 whatever decade that comes out, I'll probably carry over the moniker for that, but it's a very TES name by personal design.

*EDIT* I'd probably come up with original names more if I wasn't completely terrible at it, thinking on it. TES at least has the excuse of descriptive names being a thing for Argonians that have spent a long time living with other races, so I can make a kinda jokey name like that if I want and have it be a perfect fit.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I play Final Fantasy XIV.

Spent $10 to change my character from Viera to Xaela Au Ra. Spent another $10 on top of that to change my surname to something that sounded slightly more lore-friendly (read: transliterated it to Cyrillic script, then back to Latin script to make it sound more Mongolian).

I also have an alt named Vivica Vica, which is just the first two syllables of 'Caviar' arranged into a lore-friendly Dunesfolk Lalafell name.