• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still in school and work part-time at a temporary gig that's not tied to my career. But, I feel like I'm ready for a change.

My relationship with my current managers is good enough, but I have seen other coworkers have their hours cut after it was known that they were looking elsewhere.

Would it look bad on applications if I checked the "don't contact my employer" option?

EDIT

My concern is prospective future employers getting a bad impression if I let them know my current employer hasn't gotten a notice from me yet, and therefore to not contact them.

Last edited:

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Your employer is not your friend, and you do not currently have a job offer elsewhere. Wait until you have something in your pocket.

The "don't contact my employer" option is there for a good reason. If you have other references, find somewhere to note them throughout your applicant process.

OP
OP
WarpSpeedMolasses
Oct 25, 2017

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
My concern is prospective future employers getting a bad impression if I let them know my current employer hasn't gotten a notice from me yet, and therefore to not contact them.

Just explain it to them. If they're human beings and not lizard people they'll understand. I never list my current boss as a reference, for this exact reason.

"I'd rather they not know I'm looking just in case things don't work out". If that's enough to take me out of contention for a position then it's a TERRIBLE position and they're doing me a favor.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Absolutely not. Let them know when you have a firm offer as long as you're ok with not working until your next job starts. If you're in a position that will be hard to fill, try to get enough time before your next job to train a replacement (but make sure you could start sooner at your next job just in case they don't want you to train anyone and instead boot you).

Do what's best for you. Try to simultaneously do right by your current employer. If they make that impossible, that's on them.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hold up, none of you had your last job as a reference? My last 3 jobs all had the previous job as a reference, if they're calling your references they're basically at the end so a pick is imminent, let your current boss say how great you are, if you're up-front with them and you're a solid worker, most supervisors will say you were great if asked as a reference.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
NEVER!!!

Only tell your current employer after you have signed the contract with the new one. Never before.

a 14 day notice is standard. If your lucky, your employer may pay off your remaining 14 days and just send you home. Yay! a two week vacation

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
My employer has known for about a week that I'll be gone by February, but they're not exactly in a position to retaliate when they're so short-staffed and I'm the only newbie worth a shit.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That seems like the norm. I've never had anyone expect me to give notice before I had an offer.

Most jobs are gonna put you through numerous interviews before calling references, at that point if you have a chance, you gotta ask your current employer because bigger recommendation they give, better shot you got at the new gig

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Lol. I worked with my friend, who unofficially laid me off due to lack of work so I couldnt get unemployment like I'm entitled too. Found another job and still havent been fucked to let him know.

Jobs are not your friends, even when the owner is a friend. If you let them know you're working, you will be gone sooner than later. Its common to shop around before you actually quit.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck, no.
I even had one job where the owner took getting another job as a personal betrayal and was known to sabotage employees hunting for other jobs. He even screwed his own brother by lying about him to someone checking references.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
This is right up there with using the company fax machine to fax resumes and leaving one behind.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Fuck no lol

I've left plenty of jobs. I've always given at least 2 weeks. That has been more than adequate and has never prevented me from getting other work.

Telling your employer you're actively looking for work is extremely detrimental to you. DO NOT DO IT. Picking the "do not contact employer" option is there for this precise situation and is normal. It will not reflect poorly on you.

You can ask for a counter offer if the new job lines up.

Last edited:

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
Fuck no!
Only if you have an offer at hand and you wish to negotiate with your current employer, otherwise NO!

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I say this as a person who is at a reasonably high management position at my employer- Absolutely fucking not. Do not. If you get an offer and are interested in staying if your current employer will match then approach them with the info and lay out your position. Otherwise the first your current job should hear about is when you put in your notice (and do give at least two weeks)

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Don't say anything, just keep working and give two weeks notice if you get hired somewhere else.

Hold up, none of you had your last job as a reference? My last 3 jobs all had the previous job as a reference, if they're calling your references they're basically at the end so a pick is imminent, let your current boss say how great you are, if you're up-front with them and you're a solid worker, most supervisors will say you were great if asked as a reference.

Yeah I always list my last job. It's never been a problem really.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Hell no. Never have.

Although right now I'm sure everyone knows I'm looking since I just graduated school, and I work a part time minimum wage job.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Fuck no
Your current employer is going to know when you give them that two weeks notice

Kieli

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Please don't. There is absolutely no advantage to you to tell your boss you've been looking. Only do this after you've received an offer and you want to see if they will match.

For me, I never take the counter offer.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
only if you want to lose all value in the eyes of your employer

actually come to think of it there can be exceptions.

a previous job I had was relocated to a neighboring city. I continued going but gave my boss a heads-up that I would look for something closer to home. it took me about a month to find my next job and when I left, that same boss told me he would happily take me back if I changed my mind down the line.

again though exceptional situation.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Depends. Would your employer let you know they are toying with the idea of letting you go? Then no. Fuck em

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Don't do it. Also, don't take a counter if your current place gives you one.

This

They know you're no longer happy, and if they bump your salary, it's just more ammo for you to move , as you can now ask for even more from your new job

Unless they offer an insane ammount like 4-5 times your current pay, politely decline and leave

Terraj_RSL

Feb 8, 2018
As everyone else said don't tell your current employer, but I would avoid telling co-workers too, since gossip spreads like fire and it might/will get back to your manager.

That's what happened to me, I casually mentioned during the course of a conversation with co-workers that I was searching for a new job, and somehow it got back to the manager.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It would be really stupid of the other company to assume that you have already told. They know how this works.

Marvelous

Nov 3, 2017
Nope, just give your two weeks when you're ready to leave, if that. Most companies would get rid of you without notice, don't feel like you owe them more than that. If you're afraid of your prospective employer contacting your current employer, most hiring processes allow you to tell the prospective not to contact anyone.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Never let them know your looking. After you get the job, then you let them know so they can hire someone to replace you. But make sure you have been offered the job and that you have accepted it.

Apr 24, 2018
Transparency is useful to
As everyone else said don't tell your current employer, but I would avoid telling co-workers too, since gossip spreads like fire and it might/will get back to your manager.

That's what happened to me, I casually mentioned during the course of a conversation with co-workers that I was searching for a new job, and somehow it got back to the manager.
Yeah sadly you can trust virtually no one with stuff like that in the workplace. Sad but true.