• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Back in the day when I was into Japanese type games I remember seeing in EGM Dragon Ball Z for Super NES and Ramna 1/2 fighting games and I really really wanted to play them because they looked so weird.

Also there was a Godzills game for the SNES I wanted real bad as well

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't have any 4th gen consoles. Went from NES as a kid to the N64 when it came out.
So I had a lot of jealousy towards people with an SNES or Genesis. Sonic & Knuckles blew my mind.

Was jealous of PSX owners for having the later Mega Man games.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Fable 1 is the only obvious one that comes to mind. Well, and Jet Set Radio Future.

Literally the only two games I cared about on the OG Xbox.

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Metal gear solid 1.
Gta 3
Both of these for me as an N64/Gamecube kid. Twin Snakes held me over to a degree, but I bailed on Nintendo after playing GTA 3 at a friend's house for twenty minutes. I didn't even bother pretending like many did that GTA would miraculously come to Gamecube. Some were satisfied with Simpsons: Hit and Run. I was not. I held on for a little bit, but my Gamecube was the first thing I ever sold on eBay, and I bought a PS2 on my way to ship it out.

I would add Resident Evil to this list because I was always jealous of my friends who had the original trilogy on Playstation. I even rented a PSX from Blockbuster once, but the miraculous RE2 N64 port kept me Nintendo for another generation and I was definitely rewarded for my patience on the Gamecube. To this day I have not played Nemesis which saddens me.

I remember buying strategy guides for games on other platforms and reading them obsessively, I had an MGS1 guide where the last part of the game was sealed and you had to tear paper off to open it, I'd go through it and be like "how the hell does that even work in a game?" Might be TMI but they were fantastic bathroom reading.

Last edited:

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Jet Set Radio Future

Literally the only Xbox game I ever wanted to play, and still haven't had the chance to. Sega, put it on Steam already!

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Never had a sega genesis, and only a Snes. My friend had Contra Hard Corps. It was soo much better than Contra 3 alien wars for Snes.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Splatterhouse. I always thought the TG-16 was so cool for having that exclusive. Also, thank you for reminding me to get the Namco Museum on Switch while it's on sale. I now own Splatterhouse.

Last edited:

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I was the proud owner of a N64. Mate, I got' em all: Ocarina of Time, bam! Super Mario 64, pum! Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong 64, Mario Party and Mario Kart, bam!

But boy... that Crash Bandicoot thing looks fun

Kamagii

Oct 27, 2017
South of Heaven
Brutal_-_Paws_of_Fury_Coverart.png
budokaneu.jpg

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Turtles in Time.
Hyperstone Heist was fun but it is no Turtles in Time.
In PSX/N64 Era it was Mario Kart.
Starting with a ps2 I eventually got around owning all three consoles of a generation so I no longer had/have this issue.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I really wanted to play Halo but only had a ps2 for a while then when the ps3 came out I didn't get one until the slim because I already had a 360, I was dying to play mgs4 before though, just couldn't afford both systems right away and the only access to a ps3 was my cousins but never bought it since he was mainly a sports and cod guy.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States

This. I was absolutely obsessed with the Digimon cartoon when I was younger and I was devastated that I couldn't play this game or its sequel. I remember finding a strategy guide of it in a store and looking through it for a long time, just to absorb as much of the game as I could.

Also, Kingdom Hearts. I have distinct memories of being in middle school and everyone talking about this game in the cafeteria at lunch, but I was a Nintendo kid. Couple of years later, I lucked out and a place my family stayed at on a family trip had a PS2 already hooked up. Somehow, I persuaded my mom to go to a blockbuster in a nearby town where I rented Kingdom Hearts 2. Through some combo of staying up late and complaining that I felt sick one day, I even managed to beat the game before the trip was over.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
One Christmas all my friends came back from break with Sega Saturns and the 3 game pack in. They kept going on and on about how good virtua cop and fighter were.

All I got was a crummy psx and the packin demo disc.

That jealousy lasted for like a week. Demo disc had so many classics on it that I began to really appreciate.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I had an Atari. Wanted for nothing.

I had an NES. Wanted for nothing.

I had a Genesis/SNES. Wanted for Bonk's Adventure on the Turbo Grafx 16. (But it wasn't that serious, waayy too many great games on GEN/SNES to really care).

I had a PlayStation/N64. Wanted for Panzer Dragoon Saga (Basically any exclusive JRPG that looked good, was big into JRPGs. Ultimately again, not that serious. PlayStation killed that gen.)

I had a PlayStation 2/GameCube. Wanted for nothing.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Donkey Kong country, I was a sega kid besides having the nes originally. I had all the attachments to the genesis so when time came I asked my parents for Saturn over PlayStation.

also remembering all the kids who owned the n64 rubbing Mario 64 in my face. I tried to convince myself that Nights was cooler.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Shinobi 3 on megadrive, one of the best action games ever and I could only play it in short burst when I visited a friend who lived far away from me. I eventually had him record a playthrough on VHS so I could at least look at it.

MrMephistoX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ocarina of time...I loved my PlayStation but that game was such a huge case of FOFMO and my parents wouldn't let me have more than one console so I emulated it. Frame rate was horrific but I beat it.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I always wanted to have a Genesis and play Sonic and Aladdin. I was jealous of the better animation in the Sega version of Aladdin. Playing Sonic nowadays, I see why I was a SNES Mario fiend. Can't stand any of the gameplay and controls in Sonic games.

I was sort of jealous of Halo 1 & 2 on the original Xbox, but not to a great degree, especially with all the good PS1/PS2 exclusives.

Last edited:

Murdamonk

Oct 27, 2017
Samurai Shodown RPG on the Neogeo CD.

I didn't know if the game was good or not, but i was a fan of SS.

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Compared to some of the answers here, I must be old but when I was playing as a kid on my NES, a friend of mine had an Amiga. When he showed me Wings of Fury

wings-of-fury-amiga-6.png

I was super jealous and I still remember that car drive home and all I could think of was how amazing the game looked and felt at the time.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
I was 17 when Bayo 2 came out(and like 15 when it was announced). I think that counts as me being a kid upset at something I definitely couldn't get lol. Thank God for Switch.

As for younger than that, I guess Mario Galaxy? Not much stuff I felt I needed that wasn't on PS2/3

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Not a a game but a system. The neo geo was ridiculous in price for a kid in 90's. First time I knew about pizza delivery guy.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Sonic Adventure games, that is until they hit the Gamecube later on. I was all over Soul Calibur and Power Stone, too.

The Dreamcast was 'the' console I wanted a lot that my parents never bought me. So I catched on that 'a lot' during my heaviest collecting years.

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
It's not exactly the same but I had Pokemon Crystal on my Gameboy Colour while my friend was playing Pokemon Rugby on the Gameboy SP. I was mad jealous.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Yoshi's Island on the SNES.
(I was a Sega kid, because that was a thing back then)

I watched my brother play through a lot of it, but didn't get to play it myself until I was an adult. It's still great.

Oct 28, 2017
Super Metroid hands down. As a Genesis kid, it was the first of many stings (along with Donkey Kong Country and Mario RPG) that made me go with Nintendo next generation.

Finally, with the N64 I would get my own Metroid experience...

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
As I was a playstation kid I was pretty happy with what I had. Every now and then we would play Smash or MK at someone else's house and have a ton of fun but even then I knew I didn't need to have those games myself because they're mostly only fun with friends anyway.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I had a Mega Drive growing up and I always wanted a SNES for Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country but I'd never admit it at the time as I was on Sega's side of the playground wars.

Oct 25, 2017
I was Nintendo-only for certain generations and PC-only for others, and I was usually able to cover anything I missed through one-time console rentals, so it was very rare for me to feel like I was on the wrong side of the fence.

I think the biggest loss I felt was definitely Street Fighter. I was a devoted SF2 kid in the arcades and on the SNES, but sitting out the entire PlayStation line during the era that arcades died out (and not even noticing the Dreamcast until it was already dead) meant I fell off the series during the Alpha and SF3 eras, which led me to fall off traditional fighting games completely, as arcade attendance and availability were also plummeting. In retrospect I can't honestly say I was ever a serious fighting game player—just another casual button-masher caught up in the SF2 craze when it was the biggest shared social experience in games—but the principal reason that I never could have become one anyway was platform choice.

There were a few things I felt I missed in skipping the PS1, like MGS and Symphony of the Night, but their existence and prestige barely registered with me until a whole generation later, as I was so deep in the PC world in the late nineties (when "computer games" and "video games" were still very separately covered and perceived) that I wasn't paying attention to the console conversation at all. So I can't say they were titles I envied while they were current.

Last edited:

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Most people I knew had 8- and 16-bit computers rather than games consoles. Piracy was so rampant, and there were so many games, that I don't remember ever feeling jealous of anyone.

I remember once I went to my cousins and played on their new Sega Megadrive. It was really cool, but I remember feeling sorry for them because they only had a handful of games.

I wasn't really aware of world of games consoles. I played games in the arcade sometimes, and I bought a lot of magazines but only about systems I owned.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
My pc during the half life 2\doom 3\crysis\halo era was shit so i was envious of people who played these game better than me (800x600 or worst at 25 frame shit solid).