• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Well?

• I definitely didn't think Sheev was going to come back as the big bad of a new trilogy decades later

Votes: 648 74.8%
  • It's pretty obvious he would survive being thrown into an endless shaft in the middle of space. DUH!

Votes: 59 6.8%
  • The midicholorians did it.

Votes: 30 3.5%
  • Something something about it happening in the expanded universe.

Votes: 52 6.0%
  • Sheev?

Votes: 77 8.9%

• Total voters

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obviously, the new trilogy is just an example of bad writing and rushed fan fiction. Utter trash imo Ofcourse.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought we would see him again. I don't know how he comes back but I have my theories. I don't think there is any way that it is the same Palpatine from Return of the Jedi.

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the name Sheev came as a suggestion from Lucas himself around 2014. Thanks for that one, Darth Icky.

Now I'm thinking back to the old days when people thought his name was Cos Palpatine, because in early drafts his name had been Cos Dashit (he was the shit!), so fans retained the original first name. That had been considered his first name for many years by fans until it was stated otherwise.

Ethril is rumored to have been very nearly included in the episode 1 visual dictionary but ultimately rejected. (Hint: It's an anagram of Hitler)
Dantius was a name some fan made up and spread around for a while that gained some popularity. No basis in anything.
Augustus was another popular fan name with no real basis as far as I can tell.

The first full name I remember ever seeing for Sidious was Cos Augustus Palpatine.

I move for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Sheev's name.
Literally any of these options are better than Sheev.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Apparently the name Sheev came as a suggestion from Lucas himself around 2014. Thanks for that one, Darth Icky.

Now I'm thinking back to the old days when people thought his name was Cos Palpatine, because in early drafts his name had been Cos Dashit (he was the shit!), so fans retained the original first name. That had been considered his first name for many years by fans until it was stated otherwise.

Ethril is rumored to have been very nearly included in the episode 1 visual dictionary but ultimately rejected. (Hint: It's an anagram of Hitler)
Dantius was a name some fan made up and spread around for a while that gained some popularity. No basis in anything.

The first full name I remember ever seeing for Sidious was Cos Augustus Palpatine.

His real name is Frank.

6eeou8vnl75z.png

Plotinus

Oct 30, 2017
Me in 2015: "Well, at least the Disney movies won't be as silly as the old EU. I mean, for God's sake, the EU had more (even bigger!) death stars that weren't called death stars when the second death star was already kind of dumb, and they kept bringing the fuckin' emperor back. Haha, at least that shit is behind us."

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I assumed that was the end of Star Wars and everyone's lives would move on and we'd see new things but alas.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Bringing him back reeks of desperation. I'm sure we will hear how he manipulated snook or something.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't seen the last jedi, I might like it more as I have heard they at least had some original ideas.

A more logical setup would be the new republic would be in open war with the imperial remnants, rather than guerrilla fighting like the rebels in the OT. The old cast could be in key political positions in the new republic. It also wouldn't feel like the OT was pointless.

That is what happens. The rebels win after a year or two of fighting the imperial remnants. It ends with the battle of jakku. We see the remains from that battle in TFA.

After that, the New Republic last for about 28 years until its crippled in TFA. The sequel trilogy is what happens 30 years after the New Republic won against the Empire.

The Resistance is Leia trying to stop the First Order by herself with only light support from the New Republic senate, because most of the New Republic doesn't believe the First Order is really that dangerous or that it is worth going to war with. And Leia was shunned politically when it was revealed to the entire Galaxy Luke and Leia were Darth Vader's children.

The First Order came out of some planets separating from the New Republic and joining the mysterious new militia that came out of the Unknown Region. I would've love for some of this to have been explained more in TFA, but whatever, the damage was done. TLJ does indeed do more to take the trilogy into more original themes and territory.

For obvious reasons, we couldn't have had the sequel trilogy just be the old cast as the main characters. For all the criticism Disney gets of banking on nostalgia (and for good reason) they made sure this new trilogy also had new characters younger and new audiences could relate to. And you need a real reason to come back to the universe with these characters and new ones, so you have them face a new or old threat against everything they worked for.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Me in 2015: "Well, at least the Disney movies won't be as silly as the old EU. I mean, for God's sake, the EU had more (even bigger!) death stars that weren't called death stars when the second death star was already kind of dumb, and they kept bringing the fuckin' emperor back. Haha, at least that shit is behind us."

I never realized this but the super death star from TFA might be worse than the sun crusher.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There's nobody on Earth that calls him Sheev without a certain degree of playful mischief, because the entire human race knows that it's bad.
I call him Sheev all the time. Sometimes Sheeven, occasionally Steve. Not because I respect the name. Because I don't respect it. At all. It's so stupid that I parade it around laughing at it. Everybody look at this fucker's dumb ass name. It's Sheev.

Totally fine if they want to retcon that at some point.
Some people just don't have any sense of humor.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
No body, no death. Those are the rules.

Also, Palpatine always struck me as Space Dracula, and we all know how hard that fucker is to kill. Just ask the Belmonts.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Eh, a franchise built on suspending disbelief of sounds you can hear in space has the full range to go all out ham with its characters and plots.

If Luke can suicide drop and catch with one arm the bad guy can go about his resurrection from a fall for the finale too.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What's wrong with doing a New Republic versus Remnant storyline?

The Resistance is has been dwindled down to three figures, which will make their inevitable and improbable victory totally unbelieveble.
Ewoks were a huge contribution to the defeat of the empire....

And this technology was the New Republic vs remnant storyline, we arrived at the breaking point of escalation just like in ANH.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

eMjDYzp.jpg

Order! Order! We must have order!

*remember when a lot of people though Terence Stamp was going to have some super cool role in Episode I, lol.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think he was 100% dead, but they can say Snoke was a force clone, a manisfestation of his vanity, and a trick to survive death mastered by Plagius. His essense again released in a new clone body or something.

I would have preferred if the new trilogy was more stand alone and about how the children of the resistance confronted the past. Ren despite wanting too kill the past is stuck in the shadow of the empire and Rey and her generation represent jedis not bound by ancenstory but can learn from the failures of past Jedi.

A fight with Rey and Ren representing these two extremes, and I expect a emotional scene like Captain America choosing not to fight the Winter Soldier. I'd rather see Ren/Ben Solo leave the past alone, become a nobody that he exposed Rey for, and like his nameskeep the loner Ben Kenobi, he can help normal people on a more primative planet. I think this would be better and more cohesive to the themes, rather than potentially dying stopping the emperor again and a straight forward redemption.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
I mean we've all seen how force users "come back" -- as force ghosts

Soooo I guess they're going to have a force ghost Sheev affecting shit in the living world. Either by Poltergeist-esque shenanigans like how Yoda summoned lightning in TLJ, or by full-on Exorcist-esque possession.

It will, of course, be incredibly stupid. Like every other Star Wars movie for the last 40 years.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I mean we've all seen how force users "come back" -- as force ghosts

Soooo I guess they're going to have a force ghost Sheev affecting shit in the living world. Either by Poltergeist-esque shenanigans like how Yoda summoned lightning in TLJ, or by full-on Exorcist-esque possession.

It will, of course, be incredibly stupid. Like every other Star Wars movie for the last 40 years.
I guess they'll do their end game moment where the ghost jedis have to finish Ghost Palpatine off, with cameos from prequel Jedis as well. I think that's the kind of fan wanky, you tube reacts, mid night screening moments some fans complained Last Jedi didn't have enough of, even though it doesn't suit the idea force ghost jedis are meant to be at peace and pacifists.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Absolutely not, but I did wonder why the force ghost stuff only applied to Jedi. Still, it was obviously a book end for the character and I'm not sure anyone is going to be convinced with any explanation as to why he was brought back into the picture.

We'll get more hammy Ian McDiarmid scenes, at the very least.

Would've been cooler and a more natural continuation of the saga to bring Plagueis into the picture but alas...

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Remember when Disney nuked the old EU, and people were cheering them on, talking about how there was just too much silly stuff in the EU to keep it around, and that Disney was better off jettisoning all that baggage?

Makes ya think.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I assumed he had died, but I had never thought about it before it was announced that he was returning. If there is any character that I believe could and would return from certain death, it'd be ole Sheev. So I didn't question it at all when his return was revealed.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not, but I did wonder why the force ghost stuff only applied to Jedi. Still, it was obviously a book end for the character and I'm not sure anyone is going to be convinced with any explanation as to why he was brought back into the picture.

We'll get more hammy Ian McDiarmid scenes, at the very least.

Would've been cooler and a more natural continuation of the saga to bring Plagueis into the picture but alas...

Because you should only be able to become one with the Force through actual enlightenment. Which you can't achieve through the Dark Side.

I always liked that concept, and it added dramatic irony to Anakin's fall, that the thing he was searching for (the power over life/death), the Sith actually are completely locked out from.

But eh whatever. Seems like whatever thematic beauty Star Wars once had is eventually just gonna get pooped all over anyway.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i need to see espisode 9 to be sure he came back, until then, he is a red herring

rb1121

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Chicago
Because you should only be able to become one with the Force through actual enlightenment. Which you can't achieve through the Dark Side.

I always liked that concept, and it added dramatic irony to Anakin's fall, that the thing he was searching for (the power over life/death), the Sith actually are completely locked out from.

But eh whatever. Seems like whatever thematic beauty Star Wars once had is eventually just gonna get pooped all over anyway.

This is what is so outrageous. It would be one thing if Disney Stars were awful movies. They clearly are. But they have completely shit on the old movies.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Just goes to show how Rian fucked this trilogy up. They have to resort to bringing back the Emperor because Rian decided to kill Snoke for no reason. Given the lack of big bad guys Star Wars has they really didn't have many options.
Kyle Ren is set up as the big bad guy. Snoke was just space Voldermort and Rian Johnson made the right call. A first order being driven apart by like two wannabe supremacists who don't know what they're doing has more potential to be interesting and original. Even though Hux and Kylo are quite pathetic, it makes them more cowardly and loathsome.

Even with the ROS's writers decision to reuse Palpatine, it doesn't mean the set up of TLJ was bad.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
It's almost like the character's entire pursuit was to conquer death :-/

With EVERYTHING we've seen force users do in the years since RotJ--ESPECIALLY Sheev--it's so easy to buy that he either survived his fall or has some tricky, death-defying plan. In fact, I think it helps his character--in retrospect, just being yeeted down a shaft by Suddenly Protective Papa is lame as hell. But grumble, grumble, ST complaining or some shit.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's almost like the character's entire pursuit was to conquer death :-/

With EVERYTHING we've seen force users do in the years since RotJ--ESPECIALLY Sheev--it's so easy to buy that he either survived his fall or has some tricky, death-defying plan. In fact, I think it helps his character--in retrospect, just being yeeted down a shaft by Suddenly Protective Papa is lame as hell. But grumble, grumble, ST complaining or some shit.
His death was right, he seemed to have an attachment to Anakin Skywalker, and seemed a bit protective when he found him in the volcano planet. That blind spot was his weakness. (And Vader might have been his force son)

Palpatine surviving the fall would be as laugthable as Number 2 surviving being incinerated in Austin Powers and only having a small scar. I guess they'll be some force or clone shenanigans and his spirit is released.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I first saw it when I was 5 in 89 so yeah. After that I always thought they'd do the prequels and then move on to original Star Wars movies by now. Woops.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
His death was right, he seemed to have an attachment to Anakin Skywalker, and seemed a bit protective when he found him in the volcano planet. That blind spot was his weakness. (And Vader might have been his force son)

Palpatine surviving the fall would be as laugthable as Number 2 surviving being incinerated in Austin Powers and only having a small scar. I guess they'll be some force or clone shenanigans and his spirit is released.
I think I first saw it when I was 5 in 89 so yeah. After that I always thought they'd do the prequels and then move on to original Star Wars movies by now. Woops.

Ah, nothing stimulates interesting conversation quite like thoughtless, regurgitated Youtube talking points.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It's just pointless to view star wars as some coherent planned out thing.

Just slapping shit together and sometimes its fun sometimes it not, that's all it is. We might as well debate Zelda timelines if we are so deadset about giving meaning to something that has none.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what is so outrageous. It would be one thing if Disney Stars were awful movies. They clearly are. But they have completely shit on the old movies.

The prequels are legit crap movies, these Disney ones are decently made and acted with some decent visual moments, but the story isn't very well thought out because Disney rushed the trilogy into production.