• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Well?

• I definitely didn't think Sheev was going to come back as the big bad of a new trilogy decades later

Votes: 648 74.8%
  • It's pretty obvious he would survive being thrown into an endless shaft in the middle of space. DUH!

Votes: 59 6.8%
  • The midicholorians did it.

Votes: 30 3.5%
  • Something something about it happening in the expanded universe.

Votes: 52 6.0%
  • Sheev?

Votes: 77 8.9%

• Total voters

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
rise-of-skywalker-poster-d23.jpg

I just want to figure out how much sense does it make to the rest of you that Palpatine has apparently been brought back as the villain of the Abrams Triology. Or hell, did you think there was going to be a chance of Palpatine coming back after TLJ?

It's so absurd to me. In general, the Sequel Trilogy always seemed to kinda undo the ending of the OT, by reigniting that same old Rebels vs. Empire bullshit. Essentially robbing the Rebels of their triumph. But thinking about it, this bit is really is a bit much, isn't it? We couldn't even have the defeat of the Emperor. What's next, will we find out in TROS that Anakin didn't really redeem himself somehow? Well, I guess he didn't, since it seems he totally failed in killing the Emperor. What a loser.

This thread was brought on by the other one about the mismanagement of Finn's character.

Oct 28, 2017
Guys, we still got 2 and a half months before this movie comes out!!

To answer the OP: I always assumed that blue shockwave following his fall meant he was vaporized by a reactor or something.

Jan 3, 2018
It's still hilarious to me that Palpatine in that poster is a photo of an action figure.

I hope the explanation they give is that he was saved in the shaft like Luke was saved at the end of ESB, and the blue shockwave was the dark fart he was holding in during the confrontation.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Yes, but ultimately I didn't really care about his fate. The emperor was barely a character - a step removed from a prop.

Same story with Darth Maul I guess...

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I miss the daily marvel threads
Star Wars is boring af

I guess I expected the guy to die, since it was the end, and they threw him down the garbage

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Truth be told I always thought the blue reactor vapour when he hits the bottom to be his evil soul or demons escaping but it could just be the special effects of the time and means nothing. You know like the end of Raiders or Ghost.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
He was 100% dead and despite what Kennedy says, the only reason they're bringing him back is because The Last Jedi completely failed to establish a credible threat and ultimate villain going into the final movie.

Cocksman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the context of his return obviously, but I think it's really fucking silly that he's back.
Then again McDiarmid is the best thing about any of these movies so I suppose it's a good thing.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I did at the time but all of the books post the Disney buyout have been hinting at something more going on with Palpatine in the Unknown Regions. Plus they brought Maul back who died just as ridiculously lol.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
They put it in comic book or some other random shit so of course they feel like movie goers that don't give a shit about that stuff will be okay with it or something. Let the past die, but only what we say is okay.

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
He was tossed down an endless shaft and exploded, or the shaft exploded.'

Then the entire station that the shaft was within exploded in a fiery ball of death... in space.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Let the past die. Kill it if you have to.

....let's also bring back Palpatine in the next movie.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I was a little kid when I was first fell in love with Star Wars. Of course I thought he died and they all lived happily ever after.

Though the comics and books that followed make it seem like Palpatine is like Dracula in how hard it is to keep his ass dead.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Considering the EU dealt with clones of Palps and other remnants of Palps that it is genuinely almost expected. BUT to answer the OP I figured he was done but always wondered of that blue blast could have been something other than a core breach. Also what the fuck is it with people thinking they will look all nerd cred by calling him Sheev all the time? The name was not even out and about when RotJ came out.
Reminds me of dweebs calling Apple "cupertino".

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
few years ago i would've thought it was pretty stupid. but after TLJ not really sure where else there is to go in the Big Bad department

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
He fell into a reactor shaft and exploded, then minutes later said reactor exploded and took the entire Death Star with it.

It would not be entirely unfair to assume that meant he was dead, even if we had no body to confirm it with.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
He got blown the hell up along with the rest of the death star. YEEEEHAAAA

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Honestly, from a storytelling point of view I struggle to see any reason to justify bringing him back other than a desperate admission that this current trilogy is fucked plot wise on its own merits and storytelling.

His character, characterisation and death a warning that power leads to arrogance and a false sense of invincibility, bringing him back only undermines that message to effectively dangle nostalgia in your face like a set of keys in front of a monkey.

And even then I Actually don't think the trilogy is fucked plot wise. I think Kylo is a good enough villain to hold up the their film on his own and they should have more confidence in their own work

So I didn't think he would be brought back but more that I didn't think there's a good reason to rather than the way he died.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
It's obviously stupid and a reaction to not establishing Snoke as credible and killing him. It is what it is though. Abrams is not exactly a great creative mind and loves milking old stuff for nostalgia purposes (see Into Darkness).

Outside of garbage directors like Treverrow, he was probably the worst person on a thematic level to follow up TLJ.

LukeOP

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just goes to show how Rian fucked this trilogy up. They have to resort to bringing back the Emperor because Rian decided to kill Snoke for no reason. Given the lack of big bad guys Star Wars has they really didn't have many options.