• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I've been cranking my oldies playlist recently and realized that it's almost 100% stuff that I listened to in the car with my parents growing up. The songs that stick out the most to me...

What songs, genres, eras of music or bands do you associate with your parents?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't say any specific songs come to mind.

Mom - country music in general
Dad - 80s pop/rock

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
First Result: Thin Lizzy - The Boys are Back in Town

Others:
David Bowie
Simon & Garfunkel

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I think of Pearl Jam and Johnny Cash when i think of my mom because she doesn't like music and particularly hated them when i was younger. Dad was classic rock. 60s-80s.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
60s Britpop for my mother, while my old man's a bit more eclectic, but tends to linger on folk music the most.

They both love Queen, though. And that was my introduction to decent music.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I haven't spent that much time with Mom since I was five and the last time she was up here, she said she loves to listen to everything, so not much help there. Dad, on the other hand, doesn't listen to anything but audiobooks and country, so either 90s radio country from when I was a kid or "Boys 'Round Here" by Blake Shelton because for some godforsaken reason, he has that as his ringtone.

Oct 27, 2017
Helmet, Ministry and Nirvana.

Oh and Love - Forever Changes

They would be the main 4 groups or albums that immediately spring to mind from my Mum, and I love it.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
Sweet memories of our camping trips as a kid. Would hear this on our way up to NH. Probably on AM radio.

Cap'n Cook

Oct 25, 2017
Dad

Mom

My mom is from Juarez and was actually neighbors with one of Juan Gabriel's siblings and would cut his nephews hair.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Cat Stevens, Mama's and the Papa's, Broadway music.

My dance with my mom at my wedding was too Cat Stevens. I love it

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Dad - Pink Floyd, he was really into them when i grew up. Also other stuff like 10cc and such come to mind
Mom - Björn Skifs, Swedish artist that is her favorite, don't know how many shows she has seen with him but it's at least in the teens.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Ugh...

Never heard a second of any Puerto Rican music growing up in my household, instead my father obsessively listened to, and made us all sing, southern gospel quartet music pretty much exclusively.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
My mom only really listens to Christian garbage now. When I think of my dad, I think of The Rolling Stones and Talking Heads.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Old school R&B from the 70s and 80s. It was pretty much all I listened to until I discovered grunge rock in the 90s.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
CCR, The Doors, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, mostly 70's and 80's music in that vein.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
My mom: 90s country and current day bad country.

My dad: Pink Floyd, Diana Summer, Traffic, Leon Russell, Kris Kristofferson.

My dad definitely had the better taste, and it has influenced me, but I can sing along with most 90s country, too.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
My dad: Chicago, showtunes (specifically Les Mis and Jekyll & Hyde)

My mom: Peter Frampton, Elton John, The Beatles, showtunes (specifically Wicked)

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Steely Dan, the Beatles, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, and lots of jazz for my dad.

Blue Rodeo, David Gray, Joni Mitchell for my mom.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I know my mother was a fan of The Osmonds growing up so they immediately came to mind even though I'm not actually familiar with their music myself. I thought of Jimmy Somerville/The Communards for my dad because he'd always stop flicking through the music channels when 'Don't Leave Me This Way' was playing.

ABBA too for both of them.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jumbo Go Away by Frank Zappa - my dad was crazy into Zappa, Cohen, The Who, Marvin Gaye, all sorts of shit. Huge album collection.

youtu.be

Jumbo Go Away

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupJumbo Go Away · Frank ZappaYou Are What You Is℗ 1981 Zappa Family Trust, Under exclusive license to Universal Mus...

Mom was into Roxy Music, T-Rex, Jim Reeves (!!??) and Aretha.