• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of these photos is "mac and cheese" to you?

• Photo A - Garbage school cafeteria food

Votes: 307 58.7%
  • Photo B - Exquisite deliciousness, the pinnacle of cheesey goodness

Votes: 215 41.1%

• Total voters

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Photo A)

6e6gCrm.jpg

Photo B)

hR1riLD.jpg

I've seen a lot of mac and cheese hate on ResetEra recently ("childs meal") and I feel like people are somehow imagining the garbage shit in Photo A instead of the absolute EXQUISITE meal that is pictured in Photo B.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
A is "what comes to mind", but I know there are people out there who definitely make good mac and cheese for grown ups.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Photo B, but just add some meat and you have a delicious lasagne instead of plain mac and cheese.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Sophisticated people who now how to make good pasta with cheese don't call it mac & cheese, come on now

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Photo A looks tastier than photo B. Find a better picture of upscale mac n cheese than that garbage.

Oct 27, 2017
1103_recipe_macncheese_horiz.jpg

I think of this. Usually made at family get togethers like the holidays,served in a big ole foil pan. Usually homemade by big mama or the like.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
A is what I see for "Mac and Cheese", B is what I see for "Gourmet Mac and Cheese". Most Italian restaurants around me have a very distinct difference between them.

And to further touch on photo A, it looks like it wasn't even made correctly, even the boxed "ready in 20-30 minutes" shit looks better than that whenever I make it.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well obviously B looks better (and something I'd order)

but photo A is what it kind of started as - a war ration, right? Not pasta but specifically the Kraft Dinner style with powdered cheese

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
A. Mac and cheese is the one food on the planet where I actually prefer the store bought stuff over made from scratch. Velveeta Mac and cheese is so unhealthy but godly.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Good a place as any to shill for my bestie's Creole Crawfish & Crab 7-Cheese Mac. If only I had a pic of it handy.

Just take my word for it. It's amazing.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017

I think of this. Usually made at family get togethers like the holidays,served in a big ole foil pan. Usually homemade by big mama or the like.
That looks gooood, almost like you got a Mac and cheese casserole going.
OP you should've included kraft dinner bc that's the first thing that comes to mind for me

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
P1150259.JPG

Annie's White Cheddar always

protip, use full fat greek yogurt instead of milk

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Mac and Cheese can never be an 'EXQUISITE meal' but I would much prefer the home baked proper pasta dish. I've also had it come out of the smoker before which is another level.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah this is closer for me. We never dumped a bunch of stuff into the Mac and cheese besides Mac and cheese, except occasionally breadcrumbs or something for even more cheese crunch on top. Don't need anything else.

Guess a lot of people on this forum haven't been exposed to southern Mac and cheese.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
They are both mac and cheese. Even the 1st pic doesn't look as bad as the box craft stuff. Regardless I love some incredible gourmet stuff.

PRed

Jan 7, 2018
How does option A look worse than highlighter orange kraft mac and cheese? Is it even mac and cheese?

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Option A fits my mental image of Mac n cheese as a visually unappetizing meal that if still eat up until there's nothing left.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️

Photo A looks like it's made by someone who doesn't season their food đź‘€. But seriously the only time I've had that slop was at a white friends place. And reading this thread one poster said it's the southern way, which I'm guessing relates to soul food.

Last edited:

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I live Photo B more, but that's Macaroni and Cheese, Mac and Cheese(KD) is more yellow than the top one and it's what I think of.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
For some reason my school didn't do mac and cheese.

Usually it was a big Yorkshire pudding with stuff in it, as below but less good:
Cf7zzfpUYAALo08.jpg

Ary F.

Oct 30, 2017
For some reason my school didn't do mac and cheese.

Usually it was a big Yorkshire pudding with stuff in it, as below but less good:
Cf7zzfpUYAALo08.jpg

Where tf did you go to school?? I went to school up in St. Bees and all they gave us were plates of mushy vegetables loaded with gravy and soggy puddings :(

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're both great, but A is what I imagine first. There is no garbage Mac, not even Kraft.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
Image B is more like what I make... Start with a proper roux white sauce, add mature cheddar (and maybe a little red leicester), pancetta/bacon, and finish with a breadcrumb top - it's pretty faffy in comparison but it tastes so good

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In between. It should be moist and creamy, entombed in a layer of dark goodness from the oven.