• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When reading a book series, do you read something unrelated between books?

• I read straight through a series

Votes: 50 43.9%
  • I read something unrelated between books

Votes: 29 25.4%
  • It depends (State why?)

Votes: 35 30.7%

• Total voters

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Do you tend to read all the books in the series in a row, or take breaks to read something else in between?

For me, it usually depends on the length of what I just read. I can only do audio books, so a fantasy book that is 47 hours long tends to make me want to alternate to something else. Only problem is they often contain a variety of characters and plot lines that by the time you get back to that series you've forgotten so much between books.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i usually read a series back to back to keep the earlier books clear in my memory

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Depends, sometimes i do just as a palatte cleanser, sometimes i go right into the new book

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I did it for Chronicles of Narnia last year but I feel like that one kinda doesn't count, since the version I have has everything in one book. But in general yeah, I'll probably read straight through a series if I like it enough.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I try to read it straight through. Otherwise I tend to forget stuff. D:

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I can think of only three times I did this: The Millennium trilogy, the IO series by Wesley Chu and the Lock In series by John Scalzi and technically, those last two series haven't even been completed yet.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
make sure you read the Poirot stories in chronological order

• The Mysterious Affair at Styles [1920]
  • The Murder on the Links [1923]
  • While the Light Lasts (UK Short Story Collection) [1997]
  • Poirot Investigates (Short Story Collection) [1924]
  • Poirot's Early Cases (Short Story Collection) [1974
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd [1926]
  • The Big Four [1927]
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train [1928]
  • Peril at End House [1932]
  • Lord Edgware Dies [1933]
  • Murder on the Orient Express [1934]
  • Three Act Tragedy [1935]
  • Death in the Clouds [1935]
  • Poirot and the Regatta Mystery (Published in The Complete Short Stories: Hercule Poirot, 2008) [1936]
  • The ABC Murders [1936]
  • Murder in Mesopotamia [1936]
  • Cards on the Table [1936]
  • Problem at Pollensa Bay (UK Short Story Collection) [1991]
  • Murder in the Mews (Short Story Collection) [1937]
  • Dumb Witness [1937]
  • Death on the Nile [1937]
  • Appointment with Death [1938]
  • Hercule Poirot's Christmas [1938]
  • Sad Cypress [1940]
  • One, Two Buckle my Shoe [1940]
  • Evil Under the Sun [1941]
  • Five Little Pigs [1942]
  • The Hollow [1946]
  • The Labours of Hercules (Short Story Collection) [1947]
  • Taken at the Flood [1945]
  • Mrs McGinty's Dead [1952]
  • After the Funeral [1953]
  • Hickory Dickory Dock [1955]
  • Hercule Poirot and the Greenshore Folly [2014]
  • Dead Man's Folly [1956]
  • Cat Among the Pigeons [1959]
  • The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding (UK Short Story Collection) [1960]
  • The Clocks [1963]
  • Third Girl [1966]
  • Hallowe'en Party [1969]
  • Elephants Can Remember [1972]
  • Curtain: Poirot's Last Case [1975]

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
It depends but usually I read straight through as far as I can... SOmetimes I get fatigued by it and take on something else.

Or, some of the "Series" I read aren't really related to each other in the story, like John le Carre's George Smiley spy novels (Tinker Tailor, the Honorable Schoolboy, Spy who Came in from the Cold, etc). There's an order he wrote them in and some make more sense if you read them in an order, but most are independent stories from one another that you can read in any order.

i read the first 3 books of A Song of ICe and Fire straight through, but A Feast for Crows wasn't out yet at the time, so I had to wait a couple years for that, and then wait..... 5 or 6 years for ADWD. Now I don't even care anymore.

Axctually... yknow... thinking about it I think I usually *don't* read them straight through. Like, I started Robert Caro's Lyndon Johnson biography series about a year ago and did the first two, and then had to pause because a man can only read 2500 pages about Lyndon fucking Johnson before getting fatigued.

Before that I started Wolf Hall then went straight through to Bring up the Bodies but paused before the third. Oh I guess that one's not even out yet NM

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trilogy, I'll go back to back. If it has like more than 7 I'll take breaks for sure.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda hard to do that unless the entire series is already out. The only time I remember doing this was all the Narnia books in elementary school.

Cyrus_Saren

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
Depends on how into the book I was and if I got invested enough to want to keep going in the series. Usually, I'll keep reading the series but sometimes I take a break.

corasaur

Oct 26, 2017
Im more likely to go straight through if the series is done already. If I'm starting an ongoing series I'll deliberately spread things out. Started asoiaf around when feast came out and still haven't read dance, for example.

I might genre-hop bt books in completed series, tho. Ive interspersed horror books throughout fantasy series, for example

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always cycling through 3-4 books, a little sci-fi, some horror, an enlightening/educational non-fiction, etc, etc. Keeps things fresh, which is important for entertaining yourself. Even when I was reading LOTR, I also was alternating between a couple other novels as well. Reading is a time-sink, so I don't find myself having a high-commitment to just one series at a time. I like to flip-flop and skim, pick up a light-read, try different/new authors in between. It's kind of like "marathoning" Harry Potter 1-8, but watching a few documentaries in between to breakup the pace lol.

OP
OP
Nida

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Just finished "A Darker Shade of Magic" by Victoria Schwab which I really enjoyed but didn't go immediately on to the next book. It was relatively short, but I switched to "Fairy Tale" by Raymond E Fiest. I'll probably go back to the series once I've finished.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I try to alternate. I just started reading Wheel of Time and I think I would get burned out on it reading them one after another, I will read something else in between each entry.

Oct 31, 2017
It depends. Certainly, if something really grabs me I'll binge the whole series - I did this with the Aubrey Maturin novels for eg (the series Master and Commander is based on). Otherwise I may go back to the series later to see if it improves, or more likely drop it entirely

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I tend to alternate between 2-3 audiobooks of different genres at one time. For example, now I'm listening to an epic historical novel, a more experimental novel set in the present and a sci-fi short story collection.

I almost never continue a series straight after finishing one novel.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
It depends. Mainly it's how much I enjoy the current book. If it's great then I move to next one, if it's bad then I tend to procrastinate. I'll eventually read the series if I have already paid for it.

TestMonkey

Nov 3, 2017
Nowadays I try to wait until a series is complete and then read it all the way through. The death of Robert Jordan made me rethink investing in long unfinished series. But there are several authors that I read whatever they publish whenever I can get my hands on it.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Depends on the length of the series, trilogies I'll often read straight through but long running series tend to make me jump back and forth. Otherwise I just burn out on an otherwise beloved series.

GenericGhost

Nov 24, 2017
I tend to do a Book in series < a comic or short story < a book < Comic or short story < book in series.
I dont want to get burned out in the same plot line.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Depends how much I like it and how big the series is. If it's just three relatively short books it's a lot less of an ask to power through all three. If it's like a dozen books, I'm not going to dedicate an unbroken year of my reading time to this thing.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There were issues like A Series of Unfortunate Events where I caught up to the end before the next book was out so I didn't have much of a choice. But generally I like to jump around to avoid burnout, unless the series in question is so gripping I HAVE to know

Nov 2, 2017
Most of the series I've gotten into over the past few years are already 3+ books deep, so I stick with them to the end. It's nice binge through them while remembering all the small details that get referenced in later books.

OP
OP
Nida

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
There were issues like A Series of Unfortunate Events where I caught up to the end before the next book was out so I didn't have much of a choice. But generally I like to jump around to avoid burnout, unless the series in question is so gripping I HAVE to know

Yeah this is common to do for fantasy series unfortunately. Song of Ice and Fire and Kingkiller Chronicles have been so much waiting.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I generally take breaks between books. But with manga/comics I read straight through.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Depends, I guess. If all the books are out and it's only a few books in the series, I'll read through them all. If it's an unfinished series, like ASoIaF and Kingkiller Chronicles as you just mentioned, you don't have much choice unless you don't read for 8+ years.

Now a long series like Wheel if Time? I don't know. I tried reading something in between and feel like I didn't give it the attention it deserved. The entire time I was thinking about how much I wanted to go back to Wheel of Time.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
I might run through a whole trilogy but I usually read some other stuff in between. Series can get a bit repetitive if you read too many back to back. You start to notice all the little quirks in the author's prose and get tired of them.