• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When you search for anything on google, how often do you add "reddit" to the end?

• Majority of the time

Votes: 221 23.8%
  • About half of the time

Votes: 363 39.2%
  • Not very often

Votes: 343 37.0%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
Often!

Especially on the topic of video game questions, like: "how many hours does it take to beat hollow knight? reddit" (which will easily direct me to r/hollowknight threads)

I find that it's the easiest/fastest way to get real answers from ordinary people with average opinions, rather than sifting through 10 pages of random and/or snobby/pretentious articles on the first page of Google. That being said, a subreddit can be pretty hive-minded, but if you're just looking for a general consensus or general information on something, like a video game, then reddit isn't too shabby for a quick review.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Only when specifically looking for an active community.

I usually use TV Tropes and Wiki as add-ons.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Not often lately but I used to do this all the time. I think the main motivation was to find more candid opinions on products and services that are saturated with fluff pieces on official channels. Now I'm more aware that many subreddits are hive minds or war zones across some dividing line (e.g., consoles), so I don't put as much stock in what they say without some reassurance.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I only do this if I'm trying to find a specific subreddit. Usually for tech support and things reddit is one of the first results anyways.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Really never specifically for reddit (I've hit reddit under 20 times in the last month per history), but if reddit or stackoverflow lights up in a search it will usually have several links to related topics, so I'll check those out. I suppose I could cut out the middleman, but there is still the occasional person posting good long-form stuff on their personal sites.

Hitting content farms usually means my search needs to be refined, or use more specific words. This is possible for some topics, especially technical searches. But obviously stuff like "best tv 2021" is now useless, so you have to look for a community. Even for technical searches, it tends to point at some person's blog that is very cookie-cutter stuff, clearly SEO or to used bolster their resume.

So I guess I will use the site: modifier once in a while, if regular searching fails.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
Sometimes, if I'm looking for a general opinion or review of something. Usually Reddit will pop up near the top anyway, but adding it will help avoid Quora, which is the most useless replacement for yahoo answers ever.

King Fossil

Oct 26, 2017
Surprisingly a lot. You can glean very useful information from people, and see what discussions spark from those search targets. I never used Reddit up until maybe 5 years ago too.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Pretty much 100% of the time that I want to find human beings discussing or explaining the thing I am interested about. Without it I typically just get spam, or SEO targeting slop that reads like it was written by an AI and usually doesn't even actually cover what I want to know. Like for example, if I google a computer problem I'm having, I'll get an article that typically starts with like 1000 words of "The modern computer was invented in 1936 at Cambridge University...blah blah blah...Bill Gates then started Microsoft", just over-explaining background information that no one fucking asked for. Then if you keep reading, it will give you like the three most basic troubleshooting steps imaginable, and then it will finish off by telling you to download some software that's totally not a virus, or just "We dunno, buy a new computer maybe??"

I hate relying on Reddit for pretty much anything really, but it contains discourse from people (with a date too!), even if those people are largely dumb idiots.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I do it a lot of the time when I'm looking for advice on something or some sort of honest opinion about a product.

I feel like you get much better, more straightforward and unfiltered opinions that way. It doesn't always work, and Reddit isn't the end all be all, but it feels a lot more helpful sometimes than some random article from an unknown website or shitty store reviews that are usually overly positive or overly negative for any given reason.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Not too often but a decent amount of times. For small things I just want people's opinions of, rather than advice for, I do this a lot. I've found Reddit is decent for getting a quick snapshot. Like when I wanted to play a Fire Emblem game, just throwing in "best fire emblem games reddit" pulled up some very helpful threads of discussion so I could make my own decision.

TwntyOneTwlv

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's also amazing how persistent Google is in showing you what it wants, not what you want. Very, very frequently things I put in quote marks are just plainly ignored, and not present verbatim in any of the top results. It's also extremely liberal with synonymous words, even if they have very different meanings.

For example, I was recently searching for "best looking films" that I could show off my new TV with. Again and again I was directed to "best movies of 2021" lists by blatant content farms, even when adding qualifiers like "best 4k looking movies" "best movies visual looking" "best film quality movies" etc. Really pathetic showing.
I ran into a situation like this earlier. We were talking about the super bowl halftime show at work and somebody asked what the most popular hip hop song of all time was. So I googled "most popular hip hop song of all time" and only got "best rap songs ever" lists and "best rap songs 2021". It was pretty frustrating.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Never, unless I'm trying to find something I know exists on reddit because the search on reddit is so shit

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes for product reviews, since most corporate reviews are sponsored (which is why I prefer RTINGS to most other sites) and customer reviews on Best Buy and the like typically boil down to "I casually enjoy this product, so it's the best thing ever" or "I broke it and think it isn't my fault, so one star" or in some cases just people giving a product a bad review because they had a bad customer support experience.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Where's the almost never/never option?

I may have done it like twice in a year....maybe, and that's because what I was looking for had to do with reddit specifically.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Half is the closest option. I do it the old way first, hoping for a random forum post from 2008 but usually have to resort to adding Reddit instead.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
wait, is this thread just a repackaging of the google is dying thread with a poll added for clicks? good meta-joke.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Ever since Wirecutter went behind a paywall and every website in the world copied their style with seemingly auto generated content... Reddit is my first stop.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I mean that even when the best result is on Reddit I hate using it. :P
But you just scroll down and read words. Why do you hate scrolling down so much and reading words so much?

The design of Reddit makes me physically sick, but whenever I need a hive mind to weigh in on some specific thing, it's always a safe bet. It's just like Era except the rabbit holes are deeper and the nazis don't pretend not to be nazis.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
But you just scroll down and read words. Why do you hate scrolling down so much and reading words so much?
I wish.
For some reason, I often land in the middle of the entire page, or near the bottom where it's all a bunch of ads or unrelated links, and I have to scroll up to get to the discussion. And then it gets truncated and I need to click to read more replies, and sometimes that still lands me at the bottom of the page instead of where I was. The layout/navigation is insufferable. I ranted about this before here (with a gif of what I mean).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I always google "thing + something", but not always Reddit. I use Wiki more.

Oct 25, 2017
I've started doing this more and more lately.

Just finding google search results less reliable while also wanting human opinions on queries more often.

The search bar began suggesting "reddit" at the end of my queries so I started adding it and was liking the results - and now I do it more and more often.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
You know...more often than not, recently, now that I think about it. It has become muscle memory at this point.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a Reddit account and they've made it harder to browse without one, so I'm veering off of the service. But every now and then I add it. If I'm looking something specific. I add wiki and imdb, too.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I do it mostly for gaming tips and walkthrough-related stuff, mostly to avoid the Quora bullshit and those terrible gaming sites that always seem have a story about Amouranth getting banned from Twitch.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I wish.
For some reason, I often land in the middle of the entire page, or near the bottom where it's all a bunch of ads or unrelated links, and I have to scroll up to get to the discussion. And then it gets truncated and I need to click to read more replies, and sometimes that still lands me at the bottom of the page instead of where I was. The layout/navigation is insufferable. I ranted about this before here (with a gif of what I mean).
Alright that's pretty unusable. 🤮

It's never that bad for me, but on desktop I'm logged in (which might help I dunno), and on mobile I have Reddit links open in a third party app.

edit: the app is Apollo, it's ace.

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much any time I look up something opinionated or experience related, like "X vs Y reddit". Most recently tried to do it with tax software and regarding car tuning. Helps that reddit's actual search kinda sucks.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I'll do it at the start. Quite often for small things.

I've been looking for a laptop recently. Tying the laptop name and reddit in the search bar of Google gets me more honest experiences and reviews on it then trying to parse through ad infested review forums and the like.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Started doing this recently. It's great. I use reddit a lot more now compared to the last few years, however.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
Where's the option for never?

I never even heard of doing that, and sure as he'll didn't know about it, until today