• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Icons?

• Yes

Votes: 159 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 537 77.2%

• Total voters

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't done that in years! If it's something standalone, e.g. a game that doesn't use a common launcher, I'll add it to Steam as a non-Steam game.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes do, with the hope that seeing it will remind me to play it, but I never do. I just use the recent/installed features in Steam/Galaxy.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I pin a few of my most played games to my taskbar but that is it.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I make custom shortcuts for my most played games and pin them to the start menu. My desktop has my file explorer and recycling bin, and that's it.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Wait y'all really don't? What the fuck.

I can't imagine not having icons it would drive me nuts. Had em for 30 years and I'm not giving up on them.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
No i have a 21:9 monitor and i like to see only the background in it, games icons are in my start page and not all of them, only the ones i play the most

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I disabled desktop icons on all my computers years ago, so no. Occasionally there is one automatically generated, but I check the "desktop" folder and clean it after any major changes.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Windows key , type the name of game I want to play.

Does this work for you for steam games? I've never gotten it to discover them on multiple PCs. At best I get pointed to the documents folder where the saves are located.

It's the one thing I've found other launchers are better with (though testing just now, doesn't seem to be nearly as good as I remember).

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No I just have 1 icon, for EGS launcher. Got Steam icon on recycle bin and just restore it when i need to

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Does this work for you for steam games? I've never gotten it to discover them on multiple PCs. At best I get pointed to the documents folder where the saves are located.

It's the one thing I've found other launchers are better with (though testing just now, doesn't seem to be nearly as good as I remember).
It works as long as you've chosen to create a menu shortcut and Windows indexes the shortcut. There shouldn't be any difference between any launchers.

amardilo

Oct 30, 2017
UK
No.

Back in the day I also used to hate having games showing up in my Start menu as it felt too cluttered. I like the services like the current game store clients that have most of my games in an application.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Not a desktop icon but for non-steam games I've started adding the game to steam with a shortcut and custom artwork, and I'll put it in a collection.

Like this:

rtIxmsZ.png

I'm doing it for my favourite emulated titles too. I want everything in one place.

- I should fix COD.

My desktop is basically a to-do list, I try to keep it clear.

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Yes but only for NON Steam games. I don't like having all the other launchers open and have far less games on them vs Steam

What the hell is this poll?!
Of course I do. And if the game doesn't do it on its own, I'll create a shortcut manually. If I'm done with the game, the icon goes into a folder, to not plaster my desktop. I keep only the cute icons visible. :3
Now I kinda feel like an alien. .__.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Nah, ever since Steam started being my main source (and now other store fronts) for PC games I found no point in the desktop icons for individual games. If the store has to open before I can start my game anyway, why pretend there isn't an extra step involved, is my thinking.

I only make icons for games I get from non store fronts like Final Fantasy XIV.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I have zero icons, and auto hide my bottom bar. I want my desktop to look clean as fuck. Even though I never really see it.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
Always empty desktop.

Why would you want to close/minimise everything to see your shortcuts?

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I do, but I put all the icons into a folder so they don't clutter my desktop. Too many games require compatibility mode enabled or admin access or something else. Plus I can move the games I'm currently playing out of the folder onto the desktop for easy access.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
I will never understand why anyone would ever see their desktop on a computer or use it for shortcuts, when there is a start menu and pinned task bar icons.

In fact why does Windows even have shortcuts at all instead of proper linked files? There's no reason why a file can't appear to exist in multiple folders, it's not like files and folders are physical objects.)

But how would the deletion of a file be handled?

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Only for clients that I rarely use like Origin or EGS. Acts as a reminder that, yes, I have games on there too.

Buenoblue

Banned
May 5, 2018
No icons at all. I disable view icons. I have the launchers pinned to task bar but I've bin using gog Galaxy 2.0 to aggregate all my games it works really well so far.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
No i hate extra desktop icons, i dont even like start menu icons for games, i want to load up one program and have all my stuff there. Its part of why i only buy games on steam and hate what others have tried to do with 3rd party exclusives.

someday

Oct 25, 2017
When I got my first PC, I left every single game icon on my screen. That lasted for almost 2 years. I only recently realized how horrible it looked and deleted them all from my desktop except Destiny 2.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
No that's a thing of the past. I just filter Steam to only show me installed games and have the desktop free of as many icons possible.

Gallows Bat

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Yeap. I have my taskbar at the top, Nexus Dock with all my main used applications at the bottom and my desktop is solely for game links (only ever have a max of 20 installed anyway, currently have 9). Looks good and most importantly getting to everything I need is waaaay quicker than a standard set up.