• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Icons?

• Yes

Votes: 159 22.8%
  • No

Votes: 537 77.2%

• Total voters

PepperedHam

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
I used to but nowadays I keep it all inside of my various launchers. Keeps my desktop clean, and most of the time those launchers are going to open anyway.

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
I have desktop icons disabled so no. I hate that software tends to default to that though - why would anyone want to clutter their desktop with programs they barely use most of the time?

Also maybe it's just me, but I hate how ugly desktop icons look on Windows. Everything is crammed together and all the icons have that little shortcut symbol (and why exactly does Windows have to tell me that? In fact why does Windows even have shortcuts at all instead of proper linked files? There's no reason why a file can't appear to exist in multiple folders, it's not like files and folders are physical objects.)

Last edited:

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, most the time I launch a game I double click the desktop icon, it's been that way for as long as I can remember.
Does get cluttered though since I'm always adding new folders to my desktop same with notepad stuff, applications etc., it's quite cluttered, but that's how my desktop's always been.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I just started PC gaming again. Been adding desktop icons. Am I doing it wrong? lol
Last time I was PC gaming Steam was brand new.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I put em on a folder, launching through steam seems more of a hassle for me.

Philtastic

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
I have no icons on my desktop. The Start Menu acts as a much more convenient "desktop" now with its shortcuts, one that you don't need to minimise all of your open windows to see.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I have 0 icons on my desktop. That's what the start menu is for it has all my launchers and apps i use on a daily basis.

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
Yes. I have them all in a games folder. I'll just pop in there and double click whatever game I want to play instead of waiting for whatever launcher needing to loads all of its ads and shit.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Once multiple launchers became a thing, yes. It's kinda nice now having my games on the desktop. Makes the desktop feel useful now.

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Nope, with multiple launchers it's best to have it all in one organized place like GOG Galaxy 2.0

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, with multiple launchers it's best to have it all in one organized place like GOG Galaxy 2.0

standards.png

Replace standards with launchers.

civet

Jul 6, 2019
France
I do it for GOG games as it does it automatically if you install your games outside of their launcher and it's a convient way not to forget you've installed the said games if it's something that you play at a slow pace. Not for Steam games tho.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
No. There arent any icons on my desktop. Launcher shortcuts are on my task bar. Clean, just how I like it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Typically for non steam games (even if just for simplicity of pointing steam at them and launching via steam).

For steam I use Steam library features and things like rainmeter's steam launchers .

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I disable/hide my desktop icons. And no I do not create desktop icons when installing a game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
no but i have like 5-10 EGS icons up by accident since it's a default. kind of funny as the only one i've ever played was Borderlands 3

Oct 25, 2017
hell no. I have 0 icons on my desktop. If I need to open an app I just press win key and start typing its name. Any games I just right click my steam taskbar icon and launch it from there

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I keep some folders I want easy access to, but that's about it. I use Playnite for all my games and the windows 10 start menu for programs/launchers.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming on Console:

Folders

Gaming on Win/macOS:

Taskbar/Steam Launch

... desktop icons are for animals.

ChronoMonarch

Apr 22, 2019
Everywhere At All Times
Yes/No.

Yes, if they are my favorite games or become a new favorite game added to my favorite games or I know from the start that I will love the game.

No, if I don't know the game well enough or don't like it enough.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Steam just shows me my installed games, and I go from there.