• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
XCX's characters are already super anime, they're just rendered poorly and animated awkwardly.
This. They already looked anime (albiet a different style from XC1DE/2)

25c64dc5ee00684426395e8cee619dc2a772f0ae_00.jpg

The character face models just looked grody and had horrible animations.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
well, I'd have preferred a XBX remake than a XB1, frankly. XB1 was already available for the 3ds, for example. You could say XBX is available for the WiiU, but no one has one of those
Yeah I could not have gotten rid of my wii u faster when reservations for the switch were made available. I now regret it as this title is stuck in there.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Xenosaga 2 has great artstyle that mixes pretty well anime with realistic character proportions. I think It's pretty closer to DOA 3 character designs.

latest

ShinNoNoir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I found the faces in XCX to be okay, except that they could look quite off under certain lighting conditions.

Was that all they censored?
No, there was more. For example, the Six Stars series allowed you to have your characters (both men and women) wear a fundoshi in the Japanese version of the game. In the western version, it was changed to look like boxer shorts.

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I think the designs in Xeno X could get a touch to make them better, but I really think that Elma looks better in X than in 2, so please give me an evolution of that style.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Was that all they censored?

Not censorship, but the localized version also had less options for voice/personality types of the avatar character. I could understand reducing the number of VAs for budget concerns, but they could just have recorded different personality types with some repeated VAs.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Not censorship, but the localized version also had less options for voice/personality types of the avatar character. I could understand reducing the number of VAs for budget concerns, but they could just have recorded different personality types with some repeated VAs.
Or add a voice pitch filter lol. I am not very fond of removing contents but if it's just censoring some loli and moe things I understand, boob slider I like not gona. 😀 Maybe they should have gone with custom MC only.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely. I thought they were also way too generic. One of the reasons I dropped the game after only a couple of hours.

I still have the game here... wonder if I should sell it before an almost inevitable remaster.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
The style was already anime the faces were just terrible. The black haired girl with the horrible face I had in a helmet the whole game. I think Elma actually looked fine. I'm totally ok with them giving the models the XC DE treatment. Everyone looks great in XC DE.

Oct 27, 2017
Xenosaga 2 has great artstyle that mixes pretty well anime with realistic character proportions. I think It's pretty closer to DOA 3 character designs.

latest
I always though 3 > 2 > 1
It's interesting the progression of art style. Started super stylized, moved to the complete opposite direction, then settled on somewhere inbetween

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I always though 3 > 2 > 1
It's interesting the progression of art style. Started super stylized, moved to the complete opposite direction, then settled on somewhere inbetween
Yeah, they really nailed the mix for 3. For me my preference was 3 > 1 > 2.
Though I'm sure some of that was adjusting to such a big change for the second game after being so attached to the first. Plus preferring KOS-MOS' designs in 1 (and especially 3's) over 2's.

Last edited:

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
XCX was already anime style, the faces just looked really off. So yes, they could use a facelift like with XC1.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Elma in X2 looks closer to her character art than she does in X...

Also, it's not drastically different. It's just the more flat shaded approach is a better representation of the designs because it's better approximates 2D
kzq8f2yv95i11.jpg

(unfortunately couldn't find a better comparison. Elma's face isn't too different. Her eyes are slightly bigger, but it's mostly because she's smiling instead of frowning
All these years and the complaints about XCX characters and Yet to me Elma looks way more derpy in XC2 at least in this comparison

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Why is Elma's model in XB2 100% better than the actual XB2 characters in their own game?

maxresdefault.jpg

Every time I look at Rex and Pyra, they remind me of generic MMD models. I can't stand those noses.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Elma's model in XB2 100% better than the actual XB2 characters in their own game?

maxresdefault.jpg

Every time I look at Rex and Pyra, they remind me of generic MMD models. I can't stand those noses.
Because different character designer. XC2 was a hodgepodge of different illustrators/character designers. They even managed to inlcude Tetsuya Nomura!

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
That's probably part of the reason why it may be considered difficult and expensive to port it to the Nintendo Switch.

Considering they do "remake" it, although Xenoblade is a remaster

Definitive Edition is an amalgamation between a remaster and a remake. The character models, game textures, lighting and physics were remade but the fundamental framework of the Wii original was remastered.

Yuck, no. One of the best things about X is that the characters didn't look like teenage anime characters. I get that not everyone liked the character models, but there are ways to improve model quality without turning everything into shounen anime. Contrary to popular belief, that isn't the only solution.

Kunihiko Tanaka's style was translated pretty badly in Xenoblade Chronicles X. As controversial as it is for me to say this, I could see a completely different character designer for X's inevitable Switch port/remaster. His style works for 2D but doesn't translate all too well for 3D.

All of them are anime style

Exactly. It wouldn't hurt to be technically correct and just say "cel-shaded".

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
Kunihiko Tanaka's style was translated pretty badly in Xenoblade Chronicles X. As controversial as it is for me to say this, I could see a completely different character designer for X's inevitable Switch port/remaster. His style works for 2D but doesn't translate all too well for 3D.

Tanaka isn't at Monolith Soft any more, which is probably why Xenoblade's characters were given design overhauls for DE. The same could happen for X, yeah. (Although, honestly, I'd prefer they just spruce the models up and stick to the original designs by Tanaka.)

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Pretty much the only face that looked weird to me was Lin's and given the shown examples are exclusively her I don't think there really needs to much to be changed.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
That's probably part of the reason why it may be considered difficult and expensive to port it to the Nintendo Switch.
I think it mainly comes down to engine. In XBX everything's "baked", forward lit and with no real physics/collision. It looks fantastic but it's down to pure artistry, the underlying technology is incredibly simple and "last gen" which probably helps with rendering the immense scale of it's world. XB2 (and by extension XBDE) went the opposite direction with complex physics/collision, deferred rendering, heavy use of material shaders, light bounce, etc. The tradeoff here is fidelity though with the heavy dynamic resolution scaling. The XB2 engine would be a poor fit for XBX as is (aka: it'd generally look worse than the Wii U version) and other option of direct porting the old outdated engine to Switch is more likely why it'd be more/too expensive for just a port.

Pretty sure MS's boss already said that won't happen on Switch for money reasons.
I think it'll happen for Switch 2. Or if a Switch (New/Pro/etc) revision can hold the rez scaler high enough in the current XB2 based engine (say 540-720p undocked) to make the port more serviceable visually. They're not porting the old engine though no.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
well, I'd have preferred a XBX remake than a XB1, frankly. XB1 was already available for the 3ds, for example. You could say XBX is available for the WiiU, but no one has one of those

The 3DS version of XC1 is awful. XCDE is such a vast QoL improvement over the original that even bringing up the 3DS version is laughable. Remaking the best game in the series and leaving the remake of the inferior side sequel for later was the smart move.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
His designs were perfectly translated in XC2

sS8zqer.jpg

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I hope if/when they do that they can maintain the atmospheric look to the game. The characters always felt a bit off, that they didn't match the rest of the game for some reason.

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
I agree that Lin looks the worst but we need justice for Lao. His design versus his model is a real you versus the guy she told you not to worry about situation.

arklCNl.jpg

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The way Elma's lips look in XC2 make her look like she is eternally pouting. I hate it. Her upper lip is just GONE.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
I love you XCX but just give me the sequel already
Can't do me bad with an ending like that

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Really hope this port pans out. I'm playing Xenoblade 1 for the first time and am loving the size of the world and stuff, and I can only imagine how much more I'd love it with mechs and other scifi stuff

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Make it more accurate to Tanaka's style, but fuck changing it to the style of XBC2 or XBC Remastered. You don't get rid of the art of the person responsible for motherfucking Xenogears in a Xeno game, period.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
XCX's characters are already super anime, they're just rendered poorly and animated awkwardly.
Basically, this. Lin looked weird for example because she had huge irises, so you can't say that's not anime.

Anyways, I prefer the original Elma to the XBC2 one. I'm sure they can improve the renders while keeping a good artstyle that doesn't deviate too much from the original characters. I already disliked how they changed Sharla too much on XBCDE, so I wouldn't want that to happen to everyone in XCX.

If there's something that Xenoblade X should really fix (and won't) is the disparity between armors for each gender.
This is supposed to be the same gear iirc:
maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh, god. They look like hedgehogs. I really don't understand why the nose-less style has become so prevalent for non-chibi artstyles.

Last edited:

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I don't get it. Is Xenoblade X not anime enough?

What OP wants is probably not more anime, but more colors. It's a bit desaturated, I'd agree on that.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it. Is Xenoblade X not anime enough?

What OP wants is probably not more anime, but more colors. It's a bit desaturated, I'd agree on that.
I think part of it is just how the characters are rendered. Their eyes in particular have a glass-like quality to them that's really off-putting.
DLVA7XL.png

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I mean, it's a spoiler but not a huge endgame type spoiler or anything like that. You find out I think 15-20 percent into the game?
iirc you change their arms and legs as equipment since the very start, which left me in shock once I noticed... so the reveal kinda made sense, but also left me wondering how they couldn't notice when they were literally expending money to buy new limbs from companies they funded.

Dec 21, 2017
Only if they actually add a plot worth a damn this time. Otherwise, it's MonolithSoft's worst title and the only thing we're losing from it is the best soundtrack in the Xeno series. Keep it on the Wii U.