• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
As a Playstation fan (Xbox is cool too, much love to that system and it's fans. I'm not a fanboy), I'm not asking you guys when you think Sony WILL do the full reveal on the PS5. I'm not asking when YOU WOULD LIKE Sony to do the full reveal on the PS5.....

But when do you think it would make the most business sense for them to reveal all to make the best success of their next console? What would make most impact? Should they wait for MS to drop, or beat them to it? Should they do a surprise reveal or tease and date the reveal? What event or show? Maybe a State of Play type video release?

Just wondered what you guys reckon.

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
I like how they handled it last time, Playstation event in February and then E3 all out. I dont mind waiting til E3 for the full reveal either.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Soon

They already went to a magazine to talk about it.

just give us the details

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
The exact method they used for the PS4 reveal.

PS event in February
Console reveal at E3
Launch October/November

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I don't see why they just don't copy what they did with the PS4 and hold a reveal event with journalists from all over the world in attendance in a month like February when nothing else is going on. It's a great way to have all eyes on the PS5 for a longer period of time.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
remember the ps4 reveal?

the first things they showed was knack and an early version of dreams

wild times

wonder what they will show this time

hopefully a new ip again

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
is there any reason for not sharing the information? Like a business thing or do videogame people just like dripping info and then having big surprise reveals.

Ryng™

Nov 2, 2017
Italy
Remember when the only thing they showed about PS4 was the controller? And everyone were like "WHERE THE FUCK IS THE CONSOLE SONY AAAAAAARGH"

Then when they showed the console... damn that was hype.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
After MS reveals full XseX specs.

Either that or when they have something concrete like Gameplay (no, not some "in-engine" malarkey) from one or more of their flagship titles like they during E3 2016.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
remember the ps4 reveal?

wild times

hopefully a new ip again

The wildest thing is that a possible PS5 reveal event could very well be the same month that Dreams comes out of early access.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
remember the ps4 reveal?

wild times

hopefully a new ip again
Crazy how Dreams was first revealed along with the PS4 and it might release right around the PS5 meeting

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Marketing is a huge (and critical) part of business.
Well yeah, I get that. What I meant was the surprise element. I feel like (and I could be wrong) no other entertainment medium banks on surprise reveals like the video game industry. I guess the slow trickle of information generates interest though so now I see my question as being really stupid.

Carry on.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I think that they will repeat their PS4 strategy with a PlayStation event. It worked for them last time and I think they were happy with it, too. Everybody is expecting it to be in February just like last time, but maybe they will change the date depending on how much information they will want to share.

However, I think this time, they will focus on hardware at the event. They will talk about the features it has, they will likely show demos. They will show the controller and it's features, and they will reveal the console, too.

Then, if it's in February, they will talk development side of things at GDC.

At E3, they will focus entirely on games. They will show many demos for launch games as well as trailers for launch-window games. They will reveal the price.

The price reveal will be interesting because Microsoft usually goes first in doing the conference, so people will react to the PS4 price directly to the Xbox. I also think that Miscorost will actually reveal a lower end SKU calling it Series S, making whatever price of the PS5 more expensive in comparison, so Microsoft's PR will involve having the most powerful console (if PS5 is more powerful, then they will say most powerful Xbox) and also the cheapest, most affordable console in the market for next gen experience. Well, but I digress...

i think Sony doesn't have any reason not to reveal the PS4 soon. Microsoft will do a full reveal at E3 like they did with project Scorpio. If Sony is confident in the specs and think they will beat the Xbox, they will reveal it very soon. Otherwise, they'll wait for E3 and make last-minute changes like they did with the 8Gb RAM.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, PS5 event like PS4.

Worked great, and had the day all to themselves.

Release a "see the next generation February XX, 2020 New York, New York" video just to give people even more blue balls.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think February is going to happen again. If you read the official blog post for Godfall it says more coming in the Spring. I would be shocked if Godfall doesn't appear at the event, therefore you are looking at late March at the earliest.

Last edited:

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think February is going to happen again. If you read the official blog post for Godfall it says more coming in the Spring. I would be shocked if Godfall doesn't appear at the event, therefore you are looking at late March at the earlies.

It doesn't have to, it was revealed outside of the event.

They are doing their own thing.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Feb would be the best with games during E3. But if they aren't coming back to E3 again this year. I think an Summer PS Experience would be awesome to just drop all they got.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It's too late for Microsoft to copy anything major at this point from Sony. They have already officially announced a bunch of features for the PS5 already anyway.

How far before launch can they make any significant changes in time? I do recall the Xbox 360 getting double the ram but not sure how close to release they made that decision.

E3 I think would be best for a full reveal but I expect Sony to show the system before like they did with the PS4.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
January 2020 for new State of Play with VII Remake demo & Patapon 2 announcement + PlayStation Meeting 2020 teaser.

February 2020 for PlayStation Meeting event.

E3 2020 for full reveal of console, games, price, etc.

Holiday 2020 for PS5 launch.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Tease at CES. Reveal at PSX in February and then a full blow out at E3. Launch for October.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
It's still too early really. We're probably 10/11 months out from release yet? MS went early as they are behind and feel they need to push the narrative. Sony's market lead affords them the opportunity to hold tight and wait and see how people react to what MS are doing.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do one right before the end of the fiscal year, which is around Feb. That way if the reveal event is hype then you get some boost from the stocks. Then do one at E3 with their old spot which is Monday night so they can react to what Microsoft did the day before if they want to.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Do they need a event? Times have changed, I guess we will see.
times may have changed, but if you're gonna do a major hardware reveal you still want press on site and interviews going

and they aren't just done for gamers circles, even in general news they are significant enough to write/report on