• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What a thread - using weed to cope with anxiety seems like a recipe for psychological addiction to me. That's about

all I got to offer.
Anti-depressants, pain killers other drugs we use for physiological conditions... many of them have that downside too.

Many people have found that, if used in sensible moderation, weed can help manage anxiety, pain, and many other symptoms.

This isn't people rolling joint after joint and sitting huffing brings all day. It's taking small hits of weed.

Tell me about it. Someone handed a joint to me before I went to a big art exhibition, and I made the mistake of having a couple of puffs.

During the exhibiton I had to sit down a few times, close my eyes, and put up a "wall" around myself it was so bad.

For you. People ITT are telling us it helps theirs.

I took an anti-depressant prescribed by my doctor. It actually had the opposite effect and heightened my anxiety too. I was moved to a new one which worked.

Not every substance is for every person, even medicines are true to this.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Tell me about it. Someone handed a joint to me before I went to a big art exhibition, and I made the mistake of having a couple of puffs.

During the exhibiton I had to sit down a few times, close my eyes, and put up a "wall" around myself it was so bad.
Imagine comparing you taking a random joint to someone who's actually seeing doctors for their anxiety and has talked with them about the best course of action.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Are you a researcher or do you have a degree that would qualify you saying these things without backing them up? If not, you need to stop immediately with your claims. As a researcher, just taking a quick glance at the available research tells me that this should absolutely not be downplayed.
Again, no one is saying that weed is 100% problem free. Just that it's not the life-threatening danger to your average person that prinny is painting it as. Like, Prinny's attitude is like if someone was all "I enjoy the occasional cold beer, it's a nice moment that gives me enjoyment after a hard week at work" and coming in all "STOP RIGHT NOW. ALCOHOL DESTROYS LIVES! GO EXERCISE INSTEAD, THAT'LL SOLVE ALL YOUR PROBLEMS"

While that is true (well, the "alcohol destroys lives" part), it's also hyperbolic when taking into account the vast majority of people consuming alcohol. Even if it's not exactly healthy to anyone if you really boil it down to what alcohol does to your body, most people can consume the occasional drink or even get drunk sometimes throughout their lives without it completely wrecking their health or requiring a hyperbolic stance against it. The same applies to weed. It can be bad for certain demoraphics (some people with some sort of hereditary "weakness" to it, some people with some mental issues, people below a certain age etc.) and in excess, but that doesn't warrant such a hyperbolic answer to it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Again, no one is saying that weed is 100% problem free. Just that it's not the life-threatening danger to your average person that prinny is painting it as. Like, Prinny's attitude is like if someone was all "I enjoy the occasional cold beer, it's a nice moment that gives me enjoyment after a hard week at work" and coming in all "STOP RIGHT NOW. ALCOHOL DESTROYS LIVES! GO EXERCISE INSTEAD, THAT'LL SOLVE ALL YOUR PROBLEMS"

While that is true (well, the "alcohol destroys lives" part), it's also hyperbolic when taking into account the vast majority of people consuming alcohol. Even if it's not exactly healthy to anyone if you really boil it down to what alcohol does to your body, most people can consume the occasional drink or even get drunk sometimes throughout their lives without it completely wrecking their health or requiring a hyperbolic stance against it. The same applies to weed. It can be bad for certain demoraphics (some people with some sort of hereditary "weakness" to it, some people with some mental issues, people below a certain age etc.) and in excess, but that doesn't warrant such a hyperbolic answer to it.
Bingo.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad dark_prinny is here to set the record straight, man! Oh wait, they are spouting mostly bullshit? Yep.

Okay, let's just start off here that perhaps the OP's therapist/docs know more than you do, rando from ResetEra? And that weed is commonly prescribed for anxiety. And also autism, as the OP does state they are on the spectrum.
Fun facts:
Medical marijuana is legal where I live (Pennsylvania).
I suffer from General Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder (yay anxiety! And also depression).
My partner is autistic and suffers from PTSD.
Both of us had gotten recommendations/prescriptions to use marijuana as treatment (me for anxiety, her for autism & PTSD) from the following professionals: trusted family doctor I've been seeing for over a decade, psychiatrist at local well-rated mental health facility, therapist at same facility (though they couldn't prescribe it, just a general "yeah this is probably a good fit for you), etc.
Here, let's look at a small snippet from the PA Medical Marijuana page, just in case this is confusing:

Oh hey, look at that. Anxiety AND autism. Interesting. Must be bullshit.

For my partner in particular, weed is such a life-changer and allows her to work and function much better than she can otherwise.
I do have some relevant info and experience for the OP, as what they are describing is soooo similar to how I felt when I first started smoking (and no longer feel now). But I imma just PM them, as this thread is such a dumpster fire.

Obviously yes, marijuana isn't without potential side effects or complications, users should monitor their intake and how and what they are using it for, it's not for EVERYONE, you can become psychologically dependent upon it (like with anything that makes you feel better), more research is needed, etc. These are a given and should be paid attention to. But it's a fucking life-saver for those who need it and can also be amazing for those who "don't".

I apologize in advance for this post, as I am being a little hostile. I feel it's necessary to combat the bullshit and misinformation in this thread, though.

Last edited:

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Your tolerance and that fucked up feeling gets better/less intense with experience and time but that also depends on your mood and environment at the time. Also like to add that it's juvenile as fuck to judge people using cannabis for their lifestyle and conditions while others are killing themselves on the daily with prescription and over the counter medication.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad dark_prinny is here to set the record straight, man! Oh wait, they are spouting mostly bullshit? Yep.

Okay, let's just start off here that perhaps the OP's therapist/docs know more than you do, rando from ResetEra? And that weed is commonly prescribed for anxiety. And also autism, as the OP does state they are on the spectrum.
Fun facts:
I suffer from General Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder (yay anxiety! And also depression).
Both of us had gotten recommendations to use marijuana as treatment (me for anxiety, her for autism & PTSD) from the following professionals: trusted family doctor I've been seeing for over a decade, psychiatrist at local well-rated mental health facility, therapist at same facility (though they couldn't prescribe it, just a general "yeah this is probably a good fit for you), etc.
Here, let's look at a small snippet from the PA Medical Marijuana page, just in case this is confusing:

For my partner in particular, weed is such a life-changer and allows her to work and function much better than she can otherwise.
I do have some relevant info and experience for the OP, as what they are describing is soooo similar to how I felt when I first started smoking (and no longer feel now). But I imma just PM them, as this thread is such a dumpster fire.

Obviously yes, marijuana isn't without potential side effects or complications, users should monitor their intake and how and what they are using it for, it's not for EVERYONE, you can become psychologically dependent upon it (like with anything that makes you feel better), more research is needed, etc. These are a given and should be paid attention to. But it's a fucking life-saver for those who need it and can also be amazing for those who "don't".

I apologize in advance for this post, as I am being a little hostile. I feel it's necessary to combat the bullshit and misinformation in this thread, though.

This is a good post.

Medical marijuana has been very beneficial to me and to people I know. I'm disappointed to see so much fear-mongering and blanket demonization from such a progressive community. It feels like I stepped into a time machine or something.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Real advice here:
Are you smoking bongs? Don't. Get a dry grass inhaler and start with low temperatures 190 degrees celcius and work your way up.

Edit:
Credentials: also spectrum, also anxiety.

Weed works quite differently for people on the spectrum, so there's no blanket "weed good / bad". Really depends on the situation, and sounds like OP was seeing a professional.
I'll second this. A vaporizer is more efficient, stronger, but more importantly you can make a bag and walk around your place with it and use as needed (within a reasonable amount of time).

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This is a good post.

Medical marijuana has been very beneficial to me and to people I know. I'm disappointed to see so much fear-mongering and blanket demonization from such a progressive community. It feels like I stepped into a time machine or something.
There's no way to stop people like that joining, it's not indicative of the community. Thankfully, enough of you helped call their bullshit out.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Fun facts:
Both of us had gotten recommendations/prescriptions to use marijuana as treatment (me for anxiety, her for autism & PTSD) from the following professionals: trusted family doctor I've been seeing for over a decade, psychiatrist at local well-rated mental health facility, therapist at same facility (though they couldn't prescribe it, just a general "yeah this is probably a good fit for you), etc.

This doesn't prove anything a screenshot from what?

Where are the medical studies?

This is bullshit.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is a good post.

Progressiveness has nothing to do with ignorance. You have to be pretty ignorant to deny scientific facts.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Derailing, trolling over a series of posts
Message boards scientifics > real scientifics

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Opinion of doctors and therapists specifically assigned to a patient> opinion of a single message board rando
I really think they have made it clear that there is no value trying to discuss this with them.

They are either a troll or.... well, I don't want to be banned for being rude, so let's leave that thought there...

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Opinion of doctors and therapists specifically assigned to a patient> opinion of a single message board rando

I'm not stating opinions I'm liking medical studies.

You are the one stating opinions and false beliefs based on your incapacity of critical thinking about the substances you consume.

Where are the medical papers who states the benefits of THC as a prescription drug for anxiety?

Hint : they don't exist

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't prove anything a screenshot from what?

Where are the medical studies?

This is bullshit.

A screenshot from the official PA Medical Marijuana website, located here https://www.pa.gov/guides/pennsylvania-medical-marijuana-program/#HowtoGetMedicalMarijuana , which lists the qualifying conditions to have marijuana prescribed. Anxiety AND autism are both on the list.

I also take Cymbalta and buspirone to deal with depression and anxiety. Both have numerous side effects possible, as do literally all drugs/medications. Because of these possibilities, should I stop taking them, as you are advocating those smoking weed to do? No, obviously I'm not going to, as they work for me and have been prescribed. Just like marijuana. Intriguing!

It's pretty clear that nothing will "prove" marijuana's usefulness to you, unless there's a study that is titled "Weed Somehow Has No Negative Effects Unlike Every Other Medication On Earth, 100% Safe to Take". There are zero meds out there with zero potential side effects.

Look, there's a lack of good, comprehensive studies on weed because of a fuckton of issues over the years, mainly dealing with the demonization and legality. If doctors, psychiatrists, etc., are prescribing it, however, there's APPARENTLY enough info out there and for it to be officially approved by our government for use to treat anxiety. The list of approved conditions really isn't that big here. Here's the list if you're interested:
  • Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
  • Anxiety disorders.
  • Autism.
  • Cancer, including remission therapy.
  • Crohn's disease.
  • Damage to the nervous tissue of the central nervous system (brain-spinal cord) with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity, and other associated neuropathies.
  • Dyskinetic and spastic movement disorders.
  • Epilepsy.
  • Glaucoma.
  • HIV / AIDS.
  • Huntington's disease.
  • Inflammatory bowel disease.
  • Intractable seizures.
  • Multiple sclerosis.
  • Neurodegenerative diseases.
  • Neuropathies.
  • Opioid use disorder for which conventional therapeutic interventions are contraindicated or ineffective, or for which adjunctive therapy is indicated in combination with primary therapeutic interventions.
  • Parkinson's disease.
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder.
  • Severe chronic or intractable pain of neuropathic origin or severe chronic or intractable pain.
  • Sickle cell anemia.
  • Terminal illness.
  • Tourette syndrome.

Contramann

Oct 27, 2017

You are the one stating opinions and false beliefs based on your incapacity of critical thinking about the substances you consume.

Where are the medical papers who states the benefits of THC as a prescription drug for anxiety?

Finding online studies to support your viewpoint against the medical advice other people get from actual professionals seems awfully familiar to what Anti-Vaxxers do.

QuadOpto

Nov 7, 2017

You know dark_prinny, it's weird that whenever anyone does respond or question you about specific aspects of the studies you post, you completely ignore them and just go back to "Marijuana is the horrible guys."

astro

Oct 25, 2017
You know dark_prinny, it's weird that whenever anyone does respond or question you about specific aspects of the studies you post, you completely ignore them and just go back to "Marijuana is the horrible guys."
While also ignoring the fact the points they are using as negatives to say "STOP ASAP" are true for many prescription drugs people need to take.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
no drug is a cure all for anxiety. Weed can cause both crippling dependency and give people on the anxiety spectrum the ability to function when they normally would not

everything has to be part of an overall response

killdatninja

Oct 26, 2017
Gonna answer the OP directly since things have gone off the rails from his original question.

I would honestly try CBD only strains first to see if they give you the benefits without the couch lock/paranoia. If that's not working for you, then try something with low THC/high CBD or look into delta 8 vape carts (basically CBD with THC but without some of the more intense negative side effects that stem from THC). Anything with 15%+ THC will probably fuck you up, stay away... unless you know what you're getting into and are ok with it.

Your tolerance after a couple of years will change, if you continue with use. I built a high tolerance over the years, so now I can function well enough even if I overdo it.. not that I recommend it... now I have to smoke higher quality weed and quite a bit of it ($$$).

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

First of all, this is disingenuous as fuck. Science is subject to bias, and the general acceptance of cannabinoid usage has only started sprouting up in recent years (on a scientific timeline). Ergo, the people that have been researching cannabinoid and it's effect on actual mental well-being for many years have easily slipped into the axiom that cannabinoid consumption is bad. You have studies from the mid 2000s that are just now reaching their conclusions because that's how scientific research functions; It takes years to gather data that allows you to form a meaningful hypothesis. Compounding on this fact is that the variance in the plants, it's further difficult to make a direct 1:1 correlation. It's easy to look at causation, in contrast.

Second of all, there is research that is coming to it's publish-able state that draws a conclusion that cannabinoid usage is on a bell-curve. Lower doses are viable methods of treatment for anxiety disorders and panic, while higher doses encourage psychotic episodes. This further plays into the bias of science, where it was simply easier to study the effects of cannabinoid when taken in uncontrolled doses; People weren't being prescribed small doses, they were butt-chugging cannabinoid-related substances.

All this said, it's also important to understand that research that informs cannabinoid dosing against anxiety-related disorders is still in it's infancy. There's a goddamn reason that there aren't half as many scientific studies. Honestly, the problem is conflating THC and CBD. Strains that are often recommended for anxiety are high in CBD.

Top 10 High-CBD Marijuana Strains for Anxiety

Medical marijuana can help ease anxiety for those with anxiety disorders and individuals who experience stress. At high levels, however, psychoactive tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) can increase anxiety due. That said, non-psychoactive cannabidiol (CBD) has been shown to successfully reduce anxiety.

Research:
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Cannabinoid-related agents in the treatment of anxiety disorders: current knowledge and future perspectives

Rich evidence has shown that cannabis products exert a broad gamut of effects on emotional regulation. The main psychoactive ingredient of hemp, Δ[9] -tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), and its synthetic cannabinoid analogs have been reported to either ...
As outlined above, clinical evidence strongly suggests that acute administration of low doses of CB1​ receptor agonists results in anxiolytic effects, while excessive activation of these targets elicits opposite outcomes, following a reverse U-shaped dose-response pattern. Hence, a primary strategy to harness the anxiolytic properties of cannabinoids could consist in the employment of partial, low-affinity CB1​ agonists, which may ensure a relatively high therapeutic index and the stabilization of the activation of this target within a range associated with mood enhancement and/or anxiolysis

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

New Perspectives on the Use of Cannabis in the Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders

Following the discovery of the endocannabinoid system and its potential as a therapeutic target for various pathological conditions, growing interest led researchers to investigate the role of cannabis and its derivatives for medical purposes. The compounds ...
As already mentioned, ∆9-THC is the main psychoactive component of cannabis, and it is the active ingredient responsible for both psychotic or affective mental health outcomes [59,107]. In contrast, CBD represents the non-psychoactive component of the plant and has been found to have antipsychotic properties and to be anxiolytic [67,111,149]. The ratio of these two compounds in smoked cannabis varies, and accordingly, the effects on mental health also vary. For example, the use of cannabis containing high Δ9-THC and low CBD concentrations was associated with a higher risk of a first psychotic episode [151]. On the contrary, using cannabis with a high CBD content was associated with significantly lower degrees of psychotic symptoms [152].

I'll finish this monster of a post to say that the medication I take for my bi-polar has a documented side-effect of a necrotic rash and an increase in suicidal thoughts. So, y'know. You win some and you lose some.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
90f.png

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Cannabis and psychosis: Neurobiology

Cannabis is a known risk factor for schizophrenia, although the exact neurobiological process through which the effects on psychosis occur is not well-understood. In this review, we attempt to develop and discuss a possible pathway for the development ...
WTF are you talking about?

Read the article I posted. Are you a neurobiologist?
Are you a neurobiologist? Are you a lobbyist?

Oct 28, 2017
The study is crappy because it doesn't fit your agenda. Is just one of many. I don't see any scientific evidence in that fantastic post of yours. All I see is someone trying to prove that his THC addiction is perfectly fine and healthy.

But that's ok.

Mental illness runs in my family and is a huge reason why I cut down on weed.

I hear ya loud and clear duder. fwiw

Best cure for anxiety I know of is diet, exercise, and meditation

Greecian

Oct 27, 2017
I have three options during a panic attack:

1. Smoke weed
2. Take a highly addictive pill
3. Do nothing and literally feel like I'm dying.

Which do you think I'm choosing?

Oct 28, 2017
Please don't with this.

To each their own. I was diagnosed with anxiety, depression, and paranoia; and prescribed various medications as a result. Instead, I found what worked best for me and am currently drug free, living my best life.

My mom bounces between group home and psychiatric ward frequently - I would not advise her to follow in my path.

Sorry if I upset either of you, just sharing my experience.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This x1000
I smoked weed for 15 years and lots of my friends did.
The absolute best case scenario: you waste a lot of money and time on that shit.

Or well nothing happens at all and you suppress problems you have or had a relaxing time. I mean back in school I had two friends that big troubles with smoking a ton, but they were young and their brains not even developed so there is that too.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
jesus christ this thread

Try CBD hemp flower and maybe mix in like 10% weed.

This is what I do, but that's also because most of the weed here in Amsterdam is just stupidly strong. Smoking it won't kill you but it's just too much. The CBD weed I have now is mostly CBD and a tiny bit of THC which is perfect. It's also fairly cheap, compared to other strains. Usually I throw in a little bit of the fun stuff to get a bit high. I used to love getting stupid high but I don't anymore.

I think your bowl hits are too strong. Easiest way to lessen the dosage is to roll into a joint diluted with tobacco and take one or two tokes at a time.

This I would advise against. Tobacco makes my heart race and gives me anxiety. I used to smoke joints with tobacco all the time but I stopped smoking tobacco completely since this year and I feel much better. I use a herb mix instead, which works well. It's not quite as gratifying on the throat as tobacco but I'm not getting anxious for the first 15 min and I feel less nasty. My hangovers are also less bad.

I also have a herb vape that I intend to switch over to completely soon, but I gotta finish off some of my hashish first. The vape is probably the best option of all, but I'll miss the ritual of rolling a joint and smoking it. The hashish is like my final goodbye to joints, lol.

I'd love to try some of those US edibles though. Weed is still technically illegal here, so making actual products with weed doesn't happen.

mentalfloss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm the same way OP.

Go CBD instead of THC.

Hopefully MDMA becomes legalized at some point because it's much more effective.

Merino

Oct 26, 2017
I love weed.

That said it has taken it's toll on my psyche and my life and I fight to get away from it.

Try visit reddit/r/leaves to see how many people struggle with cannabis addiction and how wide (and similar) the impact has been on many (former) users.

Won't ever recommend anyone to try, nor recommend anyone to quite as a blanket statemtn. It's very personal but it certainly is not entirely innocent or impact-free.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've never smoked weed but hit some THC vape this evening. Peach cobbler flavour, didn't know what to expect as like I said I've never been high.

Shit hit me hard. Like 0-100. I can't even remember how many times I vaped it before suddenly I was like WTF this is crazy.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
The thread about possible weed addiction prompted me to post this. So, apologies if you're tired of reading about weed.

I am on the spectrum and suffer from anxiety. I'm constantly moving (fidgeting) even when I'm sitting. I literally have to slightly rock back and forth or move something. It's annoying to others and even me.

My therapist suggested I try marijuana when it became legal where I live and so I did. I researched it and understood that I would probably enjoy strains of indica more than sativa due to the calming effects.

So I purchased some.

And I love it.

I smoke in the evenings and I'm totally relaxed. No movement. No anxiety. It's like a life changing thing for me.

But the downside. I can barely function. And I'm not smoking a lot. I just fill up my little bowl enough to take one or two hits at most. My friends say it will lessen after awhile. But it's February and I've been doing it since the start of the year.

Like, I literally will venture into the kitchen to get a snack, make it halfway, and have to return to the couch because I just can't. Lol.

Is this normal?
if you are microdosing like that, it will never change. I do the same OP. to build tolerance you have to increase your amounts, but also... meh? why right? you get to make a small amount last FOREVER like me. I have had like 60g since last Sept. I am down to like... 55.... lol

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't want to get banned again. My point is clear and I'm out of this thread 👋