• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Quade

Mar 8, 2019
I'm not being confrontational. I'm just responding with equal consideration to quality posts like :

"lol dude"

"bad science"

"fear mongering"

And so on.

I have a really long experience with the substance and scientific evidence is there. I also know a lot of people that have had mental issues due to use and abuse of THC. I'm by no means and expert but I can tell you that the effects of THC mid / long term are highly underrated due to its recreational use popularity and the ability of their users to think about what they are really doing and it's consequences. This thread is the perfect example of it.

i don't judge or attack anyone who do this or any kind of drug, but the widespread mentality of marijuana being some kind of inocuos substance by some of their users really blows my mind.
THC can have negative effects on those already prone to psychosis but it's certainly a case by case thing whereas your presenting your arguments as definitive and the way you're carrying on is kind of embarrassing.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
OP I would suggest low dose edibles. Read the instructions though. An edible chocolate bar for example will often have one small square as a full dose. People screw up and take too many all the time. Plan a time to do it with supportive friends or family and start well below a full dose and work up over the course of days or even weeks. I.e take like, 1/8th of a dose day one. If that does nothing don't take more that day. Wait and take 1/4 of a dose the next day, etc. give at least 12 hours for it to clear your system.

Edibles have a different feel but you might find that it solves the physical anxiety with a very small, cost efficient dose.

This is an issue with cannabis as treatment though, especially as a legal recreational substance. Labeling of THC concentrations has a long way to go to truly facilitate the use case you're looking for without you personally putting a lot of work in.

WTF are you talking about?

Read the article I posted. Are you a neurobiologist?
The study you linked to:
1. Refers to incidence of cannabis use as having used it period, not as a causal factor.
2. Specifically states that the causal relationship has not been explored adequately.
3. References a 31% incidence rate for people with the listed conditions vs. 20% for gen pop, but then does nothing to qualify the likely environmental factors that have a correlative but not causative relation between cannabis use and various mental conditions.

In short it's a paper written by someone who focuses on these kinds of psychosis specifically and is looking for causation around every corner. That is part of scientific research but it shows a lack of understanding how most people with these conditions likely spent years self-medicating. A common oversight of academics the world over.

The fact that you push this as a scientific paper supporting your claim when the paper backs up none of thr claims you are making shows an inherent lack of scientific understanding on your part and nothing more.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
You likened autism to schizophrenia and psychosis by referencing the previous paper and then said no one with mental illness should use THC. Autism is a very broad spectrum and in a lot of cases not much more of a "mental illness" than cilantro tasting like soap being a neurological disorder.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
You said THC should not be prescribed to someone with mental illness...it's right there. The OP has anxiety issues and autism, as He/She mentioned specifically. You can't roll out the word illness.

Oct 27, 2017
People get really defensive when their vice of choice, for which the long term effects of are pretty much unknown, are questioned.

Anyone else have some scientific links? Instead of just attacking prinny? It's a drug that messes with your brain. Seems logical that long term use could have some pretty major negative consequences, no?

It's a bit embarrassing. Wouldnt everyone rather know of potential risks? It sure doesnt feel that way in this thread given how hes been piled up on. I'd like any more good links you have prinny. I understand if youd rather DM them to me though lol.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You likened autism to schizophrenia and psychosis by referencing the previous paper and then said no one with mental illness should use THC. Autism is a very broad spectrum and in a lot of cases not much more of a "mental illness" than cilantro tasting like soap being a neurological disorder.

I meant mental illness as a psychological / developmental disorder. I'm not by any means demonizing it.

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (3 days): Hostility, history of same
Get a cat, and when you are high the cat can sit on your lap because it's not like you are going anywhere you goddamned burnout. Also, get a one hitter and just put a tiny bit in there so you don't get too high you fucking lightweight piece of crap. You are in way over your head. Weed will kill you dead, esé.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
People get really defensive when their vice of choice, for which the long term effects of are pretty much unknown, are questioned.

Anyone else have some scientific links? Instead of just attacking prinny? It's a drug that messes with your brain. Seems logical that long term use could have some pretty major negative consequences, no?

It's a bit embarrassing. Wouldnt everyone rather know of potential risks? It sure doesnt feel that way in this thread given how hes been piled up on. I'd like any more good links you have prinny. I understand if youd rather DM them to me though lol.
It isn't an unknown. Western world governments have spent literally over half a century testing cannabis looking for these links as a part of active propaganda against it. All studies that claim a link end up being debunked as junk science.

You can never truly prove a negative and any narcotic is going to have different effects on different people, but psychological problems stemming from cannabis are factored into global risk assessments where cannabis routines scores lower than tobacco or alcohol.

If there was a smoking gun after, again literally >70 years of active government research to find one, you'd think it would be part of anti-legalization campaigns. Instead they're still using propaganda pieces from the 30's and correlative association minus causation.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It isn't an unknown. Western world governments have spent literally over half a century testing cannabis looking for these links as a part of active propaganda against it. All studies that claim a link end up being debunked as junk science.

You can never truly prove a negative and any narcotic is going to have different effects on different people, but psychological problems stemming from cannabis are factored into global risk assessments where cannabis routines scores lower than tobacco or alcohol.

If there was a smoking gun after, again literally >70 years of active government research to find one, you'd think it would be part of anti-legalization campaigns. Instead they're still using propaganda pieces from the 30's and correlative association minus causation.
Where are those studies? Care to link them?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Get a cat, and when you are high the cat can sit on your lap because it's not like you are going anywhere you goddamned burnout. Also, get a one hitter and just put a tiny bit in there so you don't get too high you fucking lightweight piece of crap. You are in way over your head. Weed will kill you dead, esé.

tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017

The link prinny posted was from the 30s?

Can you link any of the research for long term use?

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019

What the fuck is this shit.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I meant mental illness as a psychological / developmental disorder. I'm not by any means demonizing it.
I'm sure your intent was not to be offensive, but stop and think about this:
1. You posted in here with a hyperbolic first post.
2. You referenced a study you incorrectly interpreted to apply causation when it explicitly states in about the third paragraph that causation wasn't tested.
3. You don't understand the language of discussing non-conforming mental health.

Yet you've aggressively pushed back at people pointing this out to you throughout the thread. I'd suggest taking it as a learning opportunity.

OP should be careful, but if working with their therapist and a social support structure a balance could probably be found that works better than most prescription drugs, given their physical response so far. It isn't something to take lightly, but it's better than chomping down the same old RX cocktails that clearly didn't work for them before.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
The link prinny posted was from the 30s?

Can you link any of the research for long term use?
No, it specifically stated that it wasn't testing for causation.

Also I'm typing on a tablet and I'm pretty sure google works as well for you as it does for me. Look into the various political groups for/against legalization in recent states and what the research the push to support their stances claim. Also check who funded said research as a layer of truth testing.

But the real simple test is this: the US govt demonized cannabis as part of an active race war for almost a century, classifying it in par with crack and heroin. States are now legalizing it for recreational use and all the govt research funding for the past 70 years didn't produce a single study that justified previous policies or supports continued prohibition.

If there was one it'd be trumpeted by teetotalers across the country.

dark_prinny

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure your intent was not to be offensive, but stop and think about this:
1. You posted in here with a hyperbolic first post.
2. You referenced a study you incorrectly interpreted to apply causation when it explicitly states in about the third paragraph that causation wasn't tested.
3. You don't understand the language of discussing non-conforming mental health.

Yet you've aggressively pushed back at people pointing this out to you throughout the thread. I'd suggest taking it as a learning opportunity.

OP should be careful, but if working with their therapist and a social support structure a balance could probably be found that works better than most prescription drugs, given their physical response so far. It isn't something to take lightly, but it's better than chomping down the same old RX cocktails that clearly didn't work for them before.

I'm the one being aggressive here?

lol

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018

I posted this one in response to Prinny earlier. I think this one does a better job at questioning the causality, as it explicitly mentions multiple hypotheses as they seem to change exist. It is literally the first link I've clicked on since looking earlier though, so I'm sure there's better. I just searched "cannabis and psychosis" - there's a lot of articles, but I ordered at the top it shows scholarly articles, and how many times they've been cited. Don't know if that's a newer Google feature or not, but it's neat.

Dec 12, 2017
Y'all need to smoke some weed and chill. Gzus. Poor OP.

The thread about possible weed addiction prompted me to post this. So, apologies if you're tired of reading about weed.

I am on the spectrum and suffer from anxiety. I'm constantly moving (fidgeting) even when I'm sitting. I literally have to slightly rock back and forth or move something. It's annoying to others and even me.

My therapist suggested I try marijuana when it became legal where I live and so I did. I researched it and understood that I would probably enjoy strains of indica more than sativa due to the calming effects.

So I purchased some.

And I love it.

I smoke in the evenings and I'm totally relaxed. No movement. No anxiety. It's like a life changing thing for me.

But the downside. I can barely function. And I'm not smoking a lot. I just fill up my little bowl enough to take one or two hits at most. My friends say it will lessen after awhile. But it's February and I've been doing it since the start of the year.

Like, I literally will venture into the kitchen to get a snack, make it halfway, and have to return to the couch because I just can't. Lol.

Is this normal?
What you're experiencing is normal. The unfortunate aspect of using weed as medication is that you can't accurately dose. Tolerance levels also vary wildly from person to person.

Here are a few suggestions:

-Smoke way less then you think you need, even if it doesn't get you noticeably high.
-Mix a purely cbd strain in with your regular strain.
-Try a vaporizer that can control how much you can consume in a session.
-Buy a low thc strain.

In all honesty, I would seek more professional help both from doctors and cannabis growers.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Hey prinny what's the state of marijuana legality and scheduling class at the federal level and it's affects on studying it in the United States?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
The fucking derailment in this thread is unreal.

OP is seeing a therapist and trying out a new solution that seems to be working, but for one side effect. Telling someone to quit the one thing that has helped them thus far in the first few posts is frankly pathetic.

OP is 43 and working with a therapist, so is very low risk for the shit those studies can't even prove.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OMG it is that time of the year again, lets demonize the weed all the while hand waving away the OP and/or additional factors. I'm on board.
It's a dependancy issue, not a chemical addiction issue. People here are fine. I think they get it. I know a lot of people who use weed to "solve problems" instead of recreationally, and that's not healthy. Most people I know in fact who smoke weed really can't afford to, nor should they smoke as much as they do. But weed is not to blame, they'd fill that gap with something else, potentially more harmful if not for that.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
there's different strains that are weaker. once you understand your tolerance consider edibles for a longer lasting effect but you're far off from that because you're taking way too strong of a dosage.

Oct 27, 2017
I posted this one in response to Prinny earlier. I think this one does a better job at questioning the causality, as it explicitly mentions multiple hypotheses as they seem to change exist. It is literally the first link I've clicked on since looking earlier though, so I'm sure there's better. I just searched "cannabis and psychosis" - there's a lot of articles, but I ordered at the top it shows scholarly articles, and how many times they've been cited. Don't know if that's a newer Google feature or not, but it's neat.

Awesome, thanks! I'll check it out after the spelunky daily.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm the one being aggressive here?

lol
I'm simply offering constructive criticism. That can be hard for people to accept and is often taken as aggressive condemnation, but give the post a second look. I'm not condemning or attacking you. I'm simply pointing out where your posts in this thread are showing a lack of understanding on your part, that you continue to defend.

To underscore this: again, for the Article you first linked where does it state the causal effect you've claimed it to?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
some people have bad reactions to is and might get worse with continued/chronic use
Yes, and OP doesn't and is seeing a therapist who will surely keep tabs on how OP is doing. As has been said.
I'm simply offering constructive criticism.
You're doing everything right but Drek baby buddy you know there's no interest in learning, as you said. My edible's kicking in, spark up and chill with me instead.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Weed can definitely help with anxiety. Not sure where people are getting coming in disparaging weed so much. It doesn't work for everyone but cbd oil helps my wife and I chill out.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weed can definitely help with anxiety. Not sure where people are getting coming in disparaging weed so much. It doesn't work for everyone but cbd oil helps my wife and I chill out.

People react to weed differently, it doesn't have that effect on me but I know people that get really anxious when they smoke

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, and OP doesn't and is seeing a therapist who will surely keep tabs on how OP is doing. As has been said.

You're doing everything right but Drek baby buddy you know there's no interest in learning, as you said. My edible's kicking in, spark up and chill with me instead.
I'm in a non-legal state and haven't reliably used since I self medicated from 13-23 for epilepsy as an alternative to the antipsychotics given to epileptics in the 80's.

But I'm sure smoking a joint was way more likely to cause schizophrenia than the lithium I was prescribed at 8 years old.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm in a non-legal state and haven't reliably used since I self medicated from 13-23 for epilepsy as an alternative to the antipsychotics given to epileptics in the 80's.

But I'm sure smoking a joint was way more likely to cause schizophrenia than the lithium I was prescribed at 8 years old.
*hug*

Mar 29, 2018
It's not a matter of "beliefs" Cannabis is a addictive substance.
It's not a matter of "beliefs" Cannabis is a addictive substance.
? I never said the word "belief"

I looked it up and it is chemically addictive - like literally anything - but has an addiction rate half (or less) than other common substances (like alcohol and prescribed opiates) and causes practically no withdrawal symptoms, unlike these other substances.

The Lancet's research has found consistently that cannabis impact is bottom of the list in terms of common substances. The top of the list in terms of damage to self and others are heroine, alcohol and cocaine. Alcohol is the top for damage to others.

Jan 13, 2020
I don't know why the hell your therapist would recommend smoking weed instead of you know, going through therapy.

Source; I'm seeing a therapist for an anxiety disorder and it's working.
He is literally going through therapy. OP did not state that his therapist had suggested quitting therapy and just smoking weed.

Drwu

Aug 23, 2018
The trick would be high CBD sativa's which can be a little hard to find. They are relaxing with out couch locking and wont trigger anxiety too too much. You could also just try cbd oil I've always found it really helps me relax

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The thread about possible weed addiction prompted me to post this. So, apologies if you're tired of reading about weed.

I am on the spectrum and suffer from anxiety. I'm constantly moving (fidgeting) even when I'm sitting. I literally have to slightly rock back and forth or move something. It's annoying to others and even me.

My therapist suggested I try marijuana when it became legal where I live and so I did. I researched it and understood that I would probably enjoy strains of indica more than sativa due to the calming effects.

So I purchased some.

And I love it.

I smoke in the evenings and I'm totally relaxed. No movement. No anxiety. It's like a life changing thing for me.

But the downside. I can barely function. And I'm not smoking a lot. I just fill up my little bowl enough to take one or two hits at most. My friends say it will lessen after awhile. But it's February and I've been doing it since the start of the year.

Like, I literally will venture into the kitchen to get a snack, make it halfway, and have to return to the couch because I just can't. Lol.

Is this normal?
First, if it's working for you then good. Fuck all these people giving you shit. Now you just need to work on refining how you take it. Personally I've moved over to a vape pen using oils. I'm able to regulate my intake much better than dry herb. Get a pen that you can adjust the power and just start low and take a hit or two then wait. You'll eventually hit your sweet spot.

The other thing is because you're going indica for the mellow effect and to cut down on anxiety, its much more likely to floor you. That's just the nature of it. But I think with a little experimenting with different indica strains and amounts you'll hit a good spot.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Im speaking from experience and talked to psychiatrists and doctors. Not trying to say weed doesn't help people or that it should be illegal at all, just that it should absolutely not be taken lightly, especially if the person has any history with mental illness.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Try CBD hemp flower and maybe mix in like 10% weed.

I would also recommend something like this. If you're in a state where marijuana is legal, then you probably have access to CBD products as well. If you don't want the psychedelic effects of marijuana, and just want more of the calming effects, and maintaining sobriety, CBD is the other substance in marijuana that does this. It's also got anti-inflammatory properties, so people use it both for pain and stress management. Some people even use it as a sleep aid.

You can should be able to buy CBD in a variety of different formats, from oils you can ingest, or mix with food or drink, to capsules or gel caplets. If you like the intoxicating effects of marijuana, then stick with traditional marijuana, but if you want to stay sober and feel calm, try switching over to just CBD.