• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember not too long ago Wanda was in a 3 way relationship with Rogue and Wonder Man?

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly they always felt like they were more a part of the Avengers side of things then the X-Men so I don't hate it too much. Like they fuck off from the Brotherhood to join the Avengers in the 60s and that's just where they stay for the most part

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
It's interesting because Hickman more or less got the keys to do whatever he wanted with the X-books and he doubled down on effectively making Wanda the Devil of the new mutant religion.

I dunno, maybe this is all building up for a swerve that it gets revealed that she is a mutant again and Magneto's biological daughter to expose part of the sham they've created.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Remember in the 90s Quicksliver held down a solo book about him and a bunch of furries going on wild adventures?

Oct 31, 2017
For people reading the new X-Men books

I think it'll actually be more interesting if they retcon her back to being a mutant and Magneto's daughter. In one of the recent books, Magneto called her "The Pretender" and seemed to hesitate. Mutants in Krakoa currently hate her. How will that dynamic play out if she is, indeed, a mutant and the daughter to one of the key members of the council?

It's interesting because Hickman more or less got the keys to do whatever he wanted with the X-books and he doubled down on effectively making Wanda the Devil of the new mutant religion.

I dunno, maybe this is all building up for a swerve that it gets revealed that she is a mutant again and Magneto's biological daughter to expose part of the sham they've created.

Well you said what I said without the spoiler lol, but yes I think (hope?) that's what Hickman is building up to. That would make it the most interesting thing and why she's constantly being brought up.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I guess he could still be their father but they got their powers from the Teseract......or did they?

Honestly I feel like a happy medium is I'd like them to be Magneto's biological kids, but neither were born with the X-Gene. And Mags being the mutant supremacist that he is, disowned them. And then they got experimented on and given powers by the High Evolutionary.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
It shouldn't be a problem in the MCU because we never learned of the twins' parentage and it's obvious something made them special enough to gain their powers (or perhaps unlock them...?).

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The Krakoans hate her for obvious reasons:

L1met5W.jpg
Why isnt Doom on this list, he's the one who helped her go nuts

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, she isn't evil. It's just that the mutants have created their own religion and basically made her Satan. From their perspective she's evil, because no more mutants, but she's not currently a villain or anything.

Okay that's better...I mean obviously in-universe there's a lot of reason to hate her. Then again I hated that original storyline and they barely do shit with it besides drag the Scarlet Witch down for it when they decide to bother even writing her. They should just retcon that shit since it ruined X-Men books for years anyway lol. It's not like she had a lot of agency in the whole thing. But now it's been too long and House of M is regarded as a classic for some reason.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Why isnt Doom on this list, he's the one who helped her go nuts

It's probably easier to just pin it on one person. If you go by the current continuity that Scarlet Witch isn't a mutant and isn't Magneto's kid, then you could reasonably say that it was Magneto's fault for telling her that she was a mutant in the first place and then later on telling her he was her dad and dragging her along for all the (non-Chthon) nonsense in her life that set her off.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully never. Mutants haven't existed in the MCU for thirteen years. Trying to shoe horn them in as Magneto's children would just be dumb at this point.

Edit: I just reread the OPs post again. They aren't Magneto's kids in the comics now? Ok that is dumb. I thought you were talking MCU.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
One of the dumbest things that came out of the whole Marvel not having the movie rights to the X-Men and trying to downplay them was coming out of nowhere and saying Magneto wasn't the father of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. It's a really dumb retcon as a huge part of their character history is their blood relationship with Magneto and them struggling with their identities as his children especially with regards to Quicksilver. It also renders impactful storylines based on this relationship like House of M and Quicksilver trying to atone for Decimation pointless and awkward in hindsight as well as humanzing moments from Magneto that come from this relationship like him interacting with Quicksilver's daughter or lamenting the loss of Wanda's children. It also renders humanizing and tender moments from Quicksilver (who is defined by being an ass for the most part) that come from his interactions with Polaris pointless as well. There was one time he even said Polaris needs him more than Wanda and it was partially through his desire to be a good brother to her that lead him to fully redeem himself for his actions in House of M and the following stories. There's also the fact that Quicksilver looks almost exactly like Magneto but younger and with different hair. In light of the movie rights now belonging to Marvel when will this awful retcon be ignored?

You may want to reword the OP or even ask a mod to change the title, because for anyone not up to date on the comics (which would be most people, including myself), it seems like you're asking the MCU to add Magneto as their father. I had no clue this was an actual retcon in the comics until I read the edit to the above post.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
42dddp.jpg

Them being mag's kids was a retcon in the first place. If anything, marvel should save Wanda from the perpetual scorn of x-writers

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Okay that's better...I mean obviously in-universe there's a lot of reason to hate her. Then again I hated that original storyline and they barely do shit with it besides drag the Scarlet Witch down for it when they decide to bother even writing her. They should just retcon that shit since it ruined X-Men books for years anyway lol. It's not like she had a lot of agency in the whole thing. But now it's been too long and House of M is regarded as a classic for some reason.
Didn't they retcon it to be Dooms fault

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
He was finally brought up through dialogue in WandaVision so it's looking like a maybe.

Hopefully. Given that Wandavision is supposed to tie into Dr. Strange's sequel, I'm half-expecting the door to all kinds of mutant fuckery to be opened.

Last edited:

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they retcon it to be Dooms fault

Tell that to this X-Men cult :P

Due to time/money I'm not constantly up to date with comics and I definitely haven't followed Marvel for a good 2-3 years. But from memory characters either blame Doom or blame Wanda when writers want extra drama. For sure it's been an albatross around her throat since House of M. While, again, characters in universe got good reason to have beef, I thought the whole thing was rubbish and I yearn for the day Marvel can just fucking move on from it and also write Scarlet Witch decently with memorable things to do.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Every time I read a Slayven comment I remember being young and reading spiderman comics, and the weirdest thing was the kane clone saga, boy was I really, really naive

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some readers: "This retcon makes their previous relationship make no sense!"

Me, who read the original retcon:
magnetoscarletwitchdisplay.jpg

*shiver*

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I actually didn't like the original retcon that made him their father to begin with. I'd rather see him becoming more of their adoptive father, and I feel no strong way about them being mutants or not.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I think they can revert them back as family, i know the status quo with Hickman's books is that Wanda is evil and a Pretender but we're talking about a woman who can literally play around with reality, and they just had an X-Men related story that shows people with that power can change their species.

Franklin is no longer a Mutant and never was one because he, according to Charles, used his powers to make himself become one by changing his DNA to have the X-Gene.

In the case of the twins, it could be that Wanda did the same thing but for the opposite effect.

It really depends on how the MCU leads with the situation though because i don't think the comics will dictate the status quo here.
Charles Xavier told him this after Franklin used the Forever Gate, which is connected to every alternate reality as well as every location and time.

His sister had just used it and basically where she went she experienced the worst possible version of where she wanted to go.

It seems an easy setup that they both walked into alternate realities where they encountered the worst possible version of what they wanted.

Given some set up form the most recent F4 issue that would surprise me.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The problem is they didn't replace it with anything interesting. I'm sure a writer will eventually make them Magneto's kids again.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer Wanda and Pietro being Magneto's children but if they retconned it back, they'd have to stop calling her The Pretender. And that makes me laugh every time I see it.

Pxl4Gvl.jpg
Every time they bring it up, more and more signs make me think that Hickman is going to roll this back. Every time this shit is mentioned around Magneto, he looks sad as shit.

There's a plan there, probably even moreso that Dan Slott stole Franklin away because he doesn't like to share toys.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh I know. Hank is a complete shite now.
Even though it was a random ass shift that a lot of people hate, it's a shift that absolutely makes sense to me. The idea came from Bendis, but homie did spend time working with Dark Beast, and as stressed out as Beast has become over the last good chunk of time, him becoming an absolute dick and not even realizing it is something I'd buy.

You know you fucked up when the Watcher shows up and talks to you instead of watching.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Even though it was a random ass shift that a lot of people hate, it's a shift that absolutely makes sense to me. The idea came from Bendis, but homie did spend time working with Dark Beast, and as stressed out as Beast has become over the last good chunk of time, him becoming an absolute dick and not even realizing it is something I'd buy.

You know you fucked up when the Watcher shows up and talks to you instead of watching.
I thought it was a jarring change, until I read the Endangered Species story which had Beast and Dark Beast in.
Now I can see what started him on his destructively dark path.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a jarring change, until I read the Endangered Species story which had Beast and Dark Beast in.
Now I can see what started him on his destructively dark path.
And he's essentially been in a negative headspace before and since. Being turned into a cat is really where the questionable choices started for him. Joining the Illuminati was just as bad for him.
that is a terrible fit. No wonder his helmet looks so dumb.
Don't hate on the helmet.