• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
90s PC gaming - 486DX2 66 MHz to Athlon 1.2Ghz era.

Over 8 years clock speeds went up 18x. It was GLORIOUS.

Dbag98

Apr 9, 2020
Coming home from middle school and playing MW2 and halo reach custom games with friends was šŸ‘ŒšŸ¼

AzVal

May 7, 2018
Wii era, when Brawl came out, every weekend 6 to 9 persons playing Smash, or MKWii and lot of single player or Multiplayer online PC coop during the week.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Senior year in high school, had a lot of free time on my hands. Playing Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, Bioshock, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and then Mass Effect all within the span of a few months was pretty much absolute gaming nirvana for me.

I really felt like I'd finally entered next gen.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
I want to say it's the 16-bit gen or the PS2 gen, and they are my favorite gens if we're talking about the games themselves, but my personal peak gaming was with the 360, it was my first foray into online gaming and I met a lot of people through Gears of War 1 and Uno, and we had so many great moments of winning, losing, laughing and co-oping. I mean hell, I used to have >12 hours sessions during those days.

It's all downhill from there. :(

Oct 27, 2017

Right combination of age, free time, disposable income and friend circles. But also a lot of things in the industry just hit right then. A huge mainstream glow up, COD4 absolutely blowing the doors off online multiplayer, stuff like Halo 3 and GTA IV being these unprecedented, never seen before mass market explosions..

A special time. I've already come to terms with the fact gaming won't hit those highs for me ever again, personally.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I will preface this with I'm old. I think all my "eras" are pretty memorable for their own reasons. From the mid 80s through the mid to late 90s there was the joy of discovering new games without being bombarded by the internet, just occasional word of mouth and the few gaming magazines that were out there. Finishing Zelda II as a school aged child without going to GameFAQs every time I got stuck is an of that time experience for sure. Reading about games like Mother in Nintendo Power and for years wondering what happened to it. Getting Super Mario Bros. 3 and taking the manual to school the next day to read. Talking to my friends and learning about blowing up the underwater tube in Super Metroid. Seeing the shareware version of DOOM in a store, looking at the back and saying "this looks like Wolfenstein" and just having no idea. That kind of thing.

From there til the end of the PS2/GC/Xbox gen the internet was more of a factor, and there was the experience of gaming with optical discs. I was hardcore Nintendo until I saw a Symphony of the Night fan page on the internet. I quickly saved up money from my part time job and bought a PS1, and the game. I didn't know you needed a memory card so I had to go back. Just a couple years prior I saw the PlayStation in an EGM and said out lout "why don't they all just give up on discs? It's not going to work." I was incorrect about this. The music and the pixel art was incredible. It became my favorite game for years until Dark Souls. I had an N64 as well, but was actually hestiant about getting it. I wasn't interested in 3D games, but Mario 64 changed my mind about that. I still prefer the old stuff and even now I'd rather play a side scrolling platformer than anything in 3D, but I almost got off the wagon and got right back on at this point. The internet helped me expand my horizons during these years as well. There was a game between FFII and FFIII and those weren't really II and III? Now I didn't have to wait 30 days between new issues, I could refresh refresh refresh on N64.com and get hyped (and subsequently disappointed) about Ocarina of Time. This was peak arcade period too, mostly fighting games, and for me personally as well as my friends, it was all about Mortal Kombat II. Oh, and yeah, a lot of renting games and uh...archiving them.

Once in the PS2/DC/GC/Xbox gen, there was way more gaming coverage everywhere. Mostly on the internet still, but now there was also G4, which I kept playing in the background way too much. Fan translations were more prevalant and allowed me to play that game between FFII and FFIII, amongst others. This was one of the most experimental eras in Japan development as well. Samba de Amigo, Space Channel 5, Seaman, Guitaroo Man, Mister Mosquito, Steel Battallion.

The next era for me was dominated by podcasts. Sure, I always knew people who played games, but having podcasts gave me the gaming expert friends that I always wanted. These were people who were more interested in what was going on in the industry than the games it seemed, and I was cool with that. The amount I learned in that period of time was incredible with all the inside stories they were sharing. The internet played a huge factor in consoles now, and the rise of indie games, most of which harkened back to the old titles I preferred. There was finally a space for more than just AAA games again, and it was wonderful. The year we got Super Meat Boy, VVVVV, and Limbo was the best. I was importing rhythem games, playing so many titles I had missed in the past, PC gaming was on the rise. It was easily my favorite era.

The PS4/XBO/Wii U era we are now exiting was a less exciting version of the previous era. I felt there was less change and it was really just a shinier version of the prior gen.

Now we've entered a new gen, and I'm an old guy with a family full of young kids and my Switch is my best friend. I still have a decent gaming PC and the old round of consoles, but for once I don't feel the itch to get the PS5 and Series X right away. I have a huge backlog and most things aren't exciting me the way they used to. Like titles I'm excited for this year? Yakuza collection on PC. Kingdom Hearts on PC. Nocturne on Switch. Yes, old games. Old games I cannot wait to show them as they grow up.

So yeah, a long way to say that the PS3/360/Wii gen is probably my favorite, despite my usual Nintendo sway and that being a pretty weak period of years in Nintendo history, at least for me. Not for them, though. I'm very happy and extremely lucky that my life has lined up with the most critical years of my favorite hobby.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
2005 ish Final Fantasy XI, nothing like it, and I've been searching for a fix for some of the gameplay of that since.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
In term of playing hour, probably PS1/SS ~ DC/PS2/XBX/GC (96~03)
In term of interest in video game info/media/news? Always at peak.

Puru

Oct 28, 2017
When i played ragnarok online/gw1. I'm perfectly aware this kind of experience will never come back and i'm at peace with it.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
N64 with Goldeneye, Mario 64, Waverace, the best console Mario Golf and Tennis, OoT, banjo.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
The 6th gen. The Gamecube was my first console, and I also played a lot on my friends' PS2s. Most of my favorite games come from this time. Pac Man World 2, Super Monkey Ball 2, Jak and Daxter, and possibly Jak 3 and Pac Man World 3 are all in my top 10. I really enjoy games like Sly 1/2, Animal Crossing, Jak 2, and Sonic Heroes also.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Easily middle school to early high school back playing call off duty 4 through mw2 with a group of like 6 to 10 people from school then going to school and talking about it.

Plus when PokƩmon HG and SS came out we all got our hands on the games and would go hard battling each other there too.

It was just all fun. We'd be up all night till like 4am every weekend even when not playing but just all together talking about school, general life, girls, telling stories, making jokes.

We'd even use the Netflix watch party feature on 360 to do horror movie nights.

Fuck man I'd love to go back to those times.

storophanthus

Nov 27, 2018
8Bit - 16 Bit Era and Nintendo Switch. Other than that I had busy schedule (high school, college, early established job).
Now my time is mostly free (except for monthly projects).

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
2007 - Halo 3 with the boys online every night late into the morning.

2014 - Destiny the Dark Below. My fireteam was on every single day playing forever.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I want to say the 5th and 6th generations, but disposable income has allowed me to play more games more often since the end of the 7th generation.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
PS1 era. Living the 3D revolution first hand, spending time in arcades, expanding my horizons into new genres, first intro to online and LAN gaming with Quake 1 and 2, having some money for actually buying games myself, being young enough that the world was still full of wonder.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
My youth and college years. Gaming felt like a reward after a productive day. Now that I'm retired and sick, it just feels like a waste of time that I have way too much of.

Apr 24, 2018
Getting my SNES as a young kid - literally changed my life; shaped my hobbies and interests for the next nearly 30 years (and counting). I probably peaked out in 3rd/4th grade in terms of wonderment/awe as to just what type of escapism a game could truly offer. I loved to read before playing jrpgs, but I remain convinced that playing jrpgs further re-enforced this passion.

Dr. Giggles

Oct 31, 2017
Probably PS2 and Xbox era followed by the 360. 360 era was peak multiplayer for me. Playing Gears, Cod, Halo all at their peak was an incredible time.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Mid-late 90s. It was the height of the fighting game boom at home and at the arcades, and '96 - '99 has not really topped for general game releases that introduced new IPs that are still around, as well as new gameplay mechanics.

Oct 3, 2019
Probably the PS3 era owing almost exclusively to the Souls games. Demon's Souls to Dark Souls 1 to Dark Souls 2 was the most I've ever been excited for games. In the PS2 era and prior there was shit I liked but never to that extent.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS3 during high school. Pounding back Mtn Dew, playing games day in day out. I'd even skip sleep sometimes.

Those were the days.

Jun 29, 2020
love the mid 90s to early 2000s a lot, there's so many great games in that period (the best zeldas, best final fantasys, best metal gears, best resident evils came out during that time)

games really lost me from around 2005 - 2015 if i'm being totally honest. so much dumb ugly bland looking shit was released in that period.

but 2016-2021 has been fantastic (uncharted 4, re7, last of us II, FF7 remake, god of war, DQXI, death stranding). I think it's because many of the people making games now grew up with games in the 90s like me so games now are more catered to my same level of nostalgia and whimsy.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Either late 90's with N64 & PC gaming or 2006-2010 (WoW vanilla through wotlk).
Everything else has been chasing that.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Don't think I've yet to peak. I probably got more playtime in as a kid, but I'm much more in tune with my preferences now and spent a lot of time even as late as college caught up in the zeitgeist playing games I actually didn't enjoy that much while overlooking ones I loved once I played them

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I've loved a lot of eras of gaming, but I think 360/PS3/Wii is probably the most I've enjoyed games. Playing tons of game online with friends and strangers was an absolute blast and I had tons more time and money to dump into the hobby.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Around the transitional era of Snes, n64 and the ps1 era since 3d gaming was new. That was the most time i'm spent gaming. Lots of new and never before seen concepts in the 3d world was exciting.

Last edited:

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
My college and post-college years I guess, which is basically 7th gen I guess. Which is kind of weird when I think about it, don't ask me about some of my financial decisions at the time. :p

Nowadays isn't that far from that "peak" though.

RetroGameGuy

Jun 11, 2020
I used to think 16-bit era but the more I think about it, PS2/Xbox/GameCube era for me. So many character platformers, arcade sports game and less AAA "seriousness". I miss it.

NoneLikeAlex

Oct 27, 2017
PS2/XBOX

It was when I did my first real online gaming and it was so fun. Bought the PS2 Network Adaptor day one from a K-Mart and played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 online for hours. And hours. And hours.

My Xbox Live days were full of Project Gotham, and so, so much Halo 2.

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
The Gameboy era, and it was with a single game, playing Pokemon Red late into the night until the batteries ran out was a magical time.

Also playing Bethesda RPGs during the 360/PS3 era.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
For me it's the 6th gen. No doubt about it. I had every console and handheld at one time or another. I was young, had no real responsibility, had a my first job and car and GameStop was starting to have a real presence in my area.

I feasted.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Mario Odyssey
Yakuza 0
Persona 5
Undertale (Vita/PS4)
Nier Automata
Gravity Rush 2
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
Tokyo Xanadu
Arms
Splatoon 2
Ever Oasis
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Fire Emblem Echoes

and so on

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Junior high/high school years. Some of the best home computer RPGs (Bard's Tale, Wasteland, etc.), 8-bit and 16-bit consoles, peak arcade era, etc. That being said, I love all generations.

Jimbojim

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
During the time when Spies Versus Mercenaries in Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory were the most unique mode out there and Ubisoft kept those servers up.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
It's right now. I'm more aware of gaming news, gaming trends, gaming rumors, etc. I have the flexibility to afford and aquire things much easier. And personally, I can still feel the magic of games. I can still easily lose myself in what I'm playing, just like I did when I was younger. It's a little bit harder, I'll give you that. Certain technical shortcomings do bother me and they can be distracting, nevertheless I can and do power through 'em. It's a wonderful time for the hobby and I'm happy to be here for it.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The finale of 360/PS3 gen with GTA V and TLOU up to now has been amazing in general for me between the incredible leaps AA/AAA games have made in making emotionally resonant stories to the indie boom, there's just been so much good stuff that has come out. I can't hold all these games.

That said from a purely euphoric standpoint, like just how exciting and "new" gaming in general felt consistently over the span of years for me that'd probably be experiencing the overall progression of gaming throughout the 90s. Everything from Genesis to N64 all the way up to Dreamcast, in addition to the golden age of crpgs, the id shooters, Half-Life, the explosion of the modding scene...it was a truly incredible time seeing not only the tech make leaps and bounds graphically but also the medium experimenting with all sorts of gameplay systems and ways to deliver a narrative. I have a particularly strong fondness for all the PC point and click adventure games, from the classic Lucasarts ones to Myst, Riven, and its many clones. These games seem small now but at the time they felt like grand adventures with fantastic art with great humor and personality.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Middle school for sure. I suspect games will always be a part of my life in some form though.

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
For me personally, its the present day. While I definitely don't have the gaming time I used to have back in high school and college, I at least have a lot more money to spend on games and hardware. That, plus the convenience of digital libraries, ensures that I can crack open an unplayed game from the backlog whenever I feel like it, and no longer need to worry about ever running out. Getting new games consistently was a struggle when I was a kid, so being literally buried in stuff to play across PC and console gives me more comfort than anything else.

I'm also very happy about the resurgence of Xbox as a brand; as a lifelong Playstation/Nintendo adherent on the console side of things, this generation marks the first time Xbox ever had a value proposition (for my specific preferences) strong enough to get me to buy in, and I'm very satisfied with my XSX purchase.