• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When was the last time you've used a pen (to write something else than your signature)?

• Less than a week

Votes: 845 71.5%
  • A couple of weeks

Votes: 66 5.6%
  • A couple of months

Votes: 26 2.2%
  • A year or more

Votes: 30 2.5%
  • Daily

Votes: 214 18.1%

• Total voters

手加減 TG

Dec 11, 2019
Today, while doing some quick urban sketching from my balcony. I bought a new set of pens last week and wanted to take them for a test run.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably never stop penning minor notes on the palm of my hand. The act of writing commits things to memory exceptionally well, even if you never look at the writing afterwards (which I often don't, given that it gets washed off pretty quickly).

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
work mainly. At least once a week since we have to courier stuff and need to label the package. for note taking i just use my iPad or eink tablet.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
About a year ago
About a year ago. Probably once a year and I struggle; I can type fast so hopefully the way of the pen goes away.

In relation to this; we years (3-4) ago had notepads and did write every day. We all have laptops now (Even the call center; I'm an analyst so note taking and meetings are a every day occurrence) and pretty much nothing is even paper based.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Is this a piss-take thread? I use a pen every single day.

Unless I lose my ability to, I'll never stop writing.

I picked up one of these a while back -

LM21907~Lamy-econ-Ballpoint-Pen_P1.jpg
Ooh, I like this. I have a nice Lamy pen too - one of these bad boys (it's a pen, mechanical pencil and highlighter combo)
Lamy-cp-1-Tri-Pen-1.png

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since we started working from home I've gone from "daily" to "occasional" pen/paper use.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
I work in a hospital lab so every day I need to initial or record something into a paper logbook

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I use a pen every single day, both for work and in my personal life.

I also have a nice little collection of fountain pens - with my most expensive being a few hundred bucks, but my most used being a gift I got from my mother several years back - a Kaweco stainless steel.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
A week or two ago. Got vaccinated yesterday, but everything I signed was electronic so that probably doesn't count since it was my finger lol.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Every day to write down Journal, goals and things i gotta do.

Last edited:

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can't remember ever not using one several times a week. Various forms for my kid's school. Notes/edits for work. Addressing envelopes/packages, writing cards. Notes and plans for tabletop games. I'm always writing lists of things to do and planning hobby/DIY projects in a notebook. I prefer writing notes with a pen to using my phone for anything that doesn't need to leave the house.

What I have noticed is that I don't think I've ever bought a pen in my life until very recently. As an adult, I've always had stacks of them around as freebies or promotional items from my workplace or as part of promotional crap from elsewhere. But a few weeks ago I was looking around for a biro and realised I'd finally used them all up, the half dozen kicking around having not been replaced after a year of working from home. I bought a pack the next day but it was a case of 'huh'. Had to raid my kid's pencil case and felt like the most disorganised parent around :D

Jan 29, 2018
All the freakin' time?

I'm a software dev but I'm constantly writing notes in an actual notepad. It's just easy to jot things down quickly.

Amazingly the literal last time I used a pen was to write a check yesterday, which is actually something I only do once a year to pay my tax guy.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I use a pen all the time, to price stuff for my business, make grocery lists, write checks for things that I can't pay online, make lists of things to do, etc etc.

Oct 26, 2017
I use them almost daily at work for paperwork.
However, in terms of writing out complete sentences and paragraphs then it's been a while. I few years ago I was filling out an application and when I got to the section that required more than just ticks and single word answers then I honestly struggled a little because it had been so long.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Friday, I use one at least at some point during work each day, either jotting down an account number i need to reference later or noting a database number i need to check on, or just putting a post-it note next to my desk to check something in the morning

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this. Like, I get there are digital alternatives to note taking but god damn, pens, paper and writing utensils aren't going anywhere.
They are. Work for one of the biggest energy suppliers in the UK. We went agile, everyone got laptops and barely even 1 in 20 managers use pens for notes; all minutes are typed up and any actions emailed to all parties. We sit in a room all with laptops at every meeting. Mate who works for a massive medical equipment company same thing. It's not been a thing over here for years. Even the census which used to be paper based was online and we don't sign for paying things, chip and pin is standard.

Was even it a meeting the other day with IBM and to keep track they just recorded the audio in case anything was missed.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rarely. Everything work related is done on computer with Docusign. All shipping labels are printed. Food are usually ordered online for pickup or sign on tablet. Write a check maybe every few years.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Almost daily. Always writing stuff down as part of work. I have notebooks filled with references and notes and relevant information and tasks needed to take away. Never been the best at taking freehand notes in word doc or similar note-taking software.