• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
So there is always a mess, but when was the last time it wasn't so bad? Pre Trump obviously. I think around the 2013 era before the rise of ISIS and after the financial crisis & Arab Spring. From then onward we have had ISIS, Trump, Brexit, Covid etc.

Or am I completely unaware of novel problems elsewhere?

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
There are peaks and valleys but I've been around a little over 40 years and there's always some shit going down. We're in a peak now for sure though.

Oct 27, 2017
It's always been fucked and I'm sure nostalgia blindness (and no social media/internet) makes me think this way but the 90s felt pretty chill for the most part.

Other than the Rodney King riots I guess.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the 80s and 90s were relatively calmer than things are now. Desert Storm yeah, but that seems insignificant compared to what we've seen the past 25ish years.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The world in general?

The world has pretty much never been better when it comes to all that. You can look at pockets of the world and see really bad strife but in general the world is a safer and better place.

The US? I mean we had an actual Civil War. The 60's/70's were rough. But this is definitely the worst its been since then.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Throughout history, the same dreams, the same hopes, the same ambitions and aspirations, reiterated and the same actions, the same courses and tactics and strategies, regurgitated, to the same predictable and often lamentable effects, so never to answer your question.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Never.

An example of stuff always kinda being bad is the fact that the Rwandan Genocide which killed at least 800,000 people in 1994 also led to two wars in neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Two conflicts which have probably killed over 6 million people from 1998 to 2008.

So no the 90's for example weren't calm. This conflict has been erased from history in some ways.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
There are peaks and valleys but I've been around a little over 40 years and there's always some shit going down. We're in a peak now for sure though.

Absolutely, and it's region based! But because we're having a global pandemic, COVID is exacerbating issues that long been present, pretty much everywhere.

But if you follow global news, there's always something highly significant. It's rare the most important story of the year is so clear.

Throughout history, the same dreams, the same hopes, the same ambitions and aspirations, reiterated and the same actions, the same courses and tactics and strategies, regurgitated, to the same predictable and often lamentable effects, so never to answer your question.

c74c48fc6dad4228f4b4c2eaa7ffc417.jpg

Does this joke play?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Never.

An example of stuff always kinda being bad is the fact that the Rwandan Genocide which killed at least 800,000 people in 1994 also led to two wars in neighbouring Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Two conflicts which have probably killed over 6 million people from 1998 to 2008.

So no the 90's for example weren't calm.

Also breakup of Yugoslavia in Europe and with that several wars in that region (and even genocide). 90s were calm only if you are are completely oblivious to world outside of your own country.

OP
OP
Combo

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
All of you saying the 90s must be speaking about the US and Western Europe. There was genocide in Rawanda & Bosnia. Wars in Kosovo, Congo, Ethiopia, Chechnya, Somalia, Iraq. The Asian Financial crisis of 1997. Hyper inflation in Russia and probably some other places I don't know about.

Let's hope 2021 brings us a quieter time. Although it seems unlikely.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
the period between the fall of the soviet union and 9/11. At least for the West.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, any time things seemed 'calm' either it's because your personal life was going so well you were distracted or the world's ills were taking place somewhere foreign to you.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
In the global south? It was always on fire.

In the global north, things were relatively calm* during the 90s and neoliberalism had seemed to be hegemonic as Clinton occupied the right wing space previously taken by Republicans. Of course that only lasted till the battle in Seattle at the end of the decade as, yes Fukiyama you dolt, history wasn't quite over yet. Then 9/11 happened and the US set the world on fire again.

"Calm" as in the status quo could be maintained with minimal challenges to power. Little things like the fucking LA Riots seemed to indicate that there might be some issues with policing, but surely the magic of the free market would fix that right quick.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
So there is always a mess, but when was the last time it wasn't so bad? Pre Trump obviously. I think around the 2013 era before the rise of ISIS and after the financial crisis & Arab Spring. From then onward we have had ISIS, Trump, Brexit, Covid etc.

Or am I completely unaware of novel problems elsewhere?

there has always been some craziness in The world. But if you want to say the west/United States , the 90s were sort of 'good'?

we were coming off the last UN legitimatised War, without horrendous casualties In freeing Kuwait. The Berlin Wall had just fallen, and the USSR/Warsaw Pact had dissolved offering freedom/hope for many. Terror wasn't a known quantity in the United States. So I'd say the 90s wasn't quite The dumpster fire

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Even when things seemed to flourish and be peaceful in the US, that was created at the expense of people all over the globe directly by US Hedgemony. Even in the US, when things seemed prosperous, Native Americans, Black, and Latino people were essentially kept in a caste system to prop up everything with cheap labor/land.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'd say the last time it was this bad (or arguably worse) was when the W. Bush admin invaded Iraq. I was a very young man back then, but it felt like the nation instantly became divided, media began to morph into a new beast, and the world's rank and file turned on us.

This shitshow is different in that Trump has largely inflicted pain upon his people only, especially his core supporters, while the rest of the world shakes their head and looks forward to the election.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I mean the 80s and 90s were relatively calmer than things are now. Desert Storm yeah, but that seems insignificant compared to what we've seen the past 25ish years.

Iran/Iraq war, Afghanistan, Lebanon. the FARC in Colombia and drug wars. Gulf war, Kosovo,/Bosnia. just off the top of my head.

The 90s were pretty good, better than now at least but that is probably the nostalgia talking I guess.

NYC had 2,490 murder in 1990. for the rest of the decade it had murder number in the 1,000 plus range. plus other large American cities were similar.

there has always been some craziness in The world. But if you want to say the west/United States , the 90s were sort of 'good'?

we were coming off the last UN legitimatised War, without horrendous casualties In freeing Kuwait. The Berlin Wall had just fallen, and the USSR/Warsaw Pact had dissolved offering freedom/hope for many. Terror wasn't a known quantity in the United States. So I'd say the 90s wasn't quite The dumpster fire

1993 world trade center bombing, 1995 Oklahoma bombing, USS Cole bombing, Waco, right wing militias all around the midwest. there was plenty of terrorism.