• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression Lyndon B Johnson was a good president, probably better than Obama, but I see very few mentions in here

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There never really was. America has been the villain on a global scale and local scale since even before its founding. Presidents by and large don't disrupt that trajectory, but they do make it worse too often.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
There never really was. America has been the villain on a global scale and local scale since even before its founding. Presidents by and large don't disrupt that trajectory, but they do make it worse too often.

I don't deny America has had massive flaws and genuine evil practices since its founding and with its various presidents - what I dislike is the characterisation is that the entire nation and every president in it is cartoonishly evil that has made no positive contributions to the world. Obama included.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This^

The answer is Obama ..... then FDR, Maybe LBJ if you ignore Vietnam.

A king/president has blood on their hand based on their very existence.
Which is the true answer.

But Obama was one of the less bad ones. If we ignore the bailouts of the criminals who threw millions of people into poverty and homelessness. Before him, maybe Lyndon Johnson? I'm not American though, so my knowledge on dead presidents is bad.

Edit: yeah fuck Johnson. Forgot about Vietnam :/
There pretty much isn't a single president that has a good foreign policy outside of Carter but tbh I dont even know that much about him.

LBJ had Vietnam, Obama has already been covered.
LBJ. He was the last POTUS to put what was right for the country ahead of his future viability and his base.
There's a reason I'm focusing on Yemen. Because there is not a single justification for Yemen. No one forced Obama at gunpoint to carry out strikes against Yemen and give the Saudis money and weapons to dole out their genocide in a proxy war against Iran. There was no "if we don't act millions are going to die" realpolitik going on here. No armies would have been sent to invade as an alternative to our slaughter in the skies.

And our goals were damned from the start considering the amount of innocents lost vs how many terrorists we would create.

In the ancient times, in 2012:

Yet we persisted.

6 years later:

Whoops.

And just like with Iraq and the Middle east destabilization, we were warned of this by experts and victims alike and yet we still kept trucking. Tell me how any of that benefited Americans or furthered any sort of greater good in the world that could be used to "justify" said slaughters.

Now Yemen isn't the only bad thing Obama did, but it's such a black mark on his presidency, and consequently us, that it requires discussion when talking about Obama's overall record. A case where a lot of his good is overridden by the bad, at least a bad on this scale.

If LBJ didn't have Vietnam (and his brutal personal racism) and Obama didn't surrender to the military industrial complex and thirst for blood, both of them would be hands on actual great presidents instead of just good relative to the others and after you ignore their really really really bad shit.

I still regard Obama as good company compared to his predecessors and successor, but we can do better and must demand better. And we need to do it now or else the future is just going to be a worse repeat of the past
As Mehdi Hassan pontificates in that linked interview
The rest of the world doesn't matter when you are looking at presidents. It's what they did for the country that matters. Everything else is second.

As such Obama was the most recent good president, followed by LBJ, Eisenhower, Truman, FDR, Teddy, Grant, Lincoln, JQA, and Washington.
LBJ would be a justifiable pick for this, I agree.

Honestly I don't think the modern Democratic Party could produce a leader capable of pushing through something like the Civil Rights Act.
I don't know what thread you just read where there were a ton of mentions of LBJ. It's like:

Obama
*Huge gap*
FDR
*Small gap*
Carter
Lincoln
*Small gap*
Bunch of nearly one-offs including LBJ

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Lincoln maybe? Everyone is pretty varying degrees of bad, including ones I like like Teddy and FDR

Lincoln wanted to repatriate slaves to Liberia, which he did for quite a bunch.

Didn't Teddy annex all those Spanish territories? I forget.

And FDR put Americans into concentration camps just because they were of Japanese descent. (Mackenzie King in Canada did this too.)

I like FDR too but none of these guys are clean.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't deny America has had massive flaws and genuine evil practices since its founding and with its various presidents - what I dislike is the characterisation is that the entire nation and every president in it is cartoonishly evil that has made no positive contributions to the world. Obama included.
It's more that the negatives outweigh the positives. Like I'm not sure the positives Obama did actually outweigh the negatives. In terms of foreign policy he was pretty terrible and responsible for the destabilization of multiple countries, the deaths of thousands from drone strikes and millions from wars conducted by or supported materially by the US. The Iran deal was generally good (but didn't last) and the Paris Climate Accords were also generally good (also didn't last)...but those don't outweigh the mass amount of death and destruction. And he did not HAVE to embark on this campaign of mass drone strikes.

Domestically, he achieved the ACA, which was better than the previous status quo but not really enough to meaningfully address the problem of healthcare in this country. He deported millions of immigrants. He vastly expanded the surveillance state, violated the civil liberties of millions of Americans, then demonized the whistleblower who revealed this to the public. He also allowed for the blatant islamaphobia in our country, law enforcement, and intelligence communities to continue unabated and with little challenge. He did little to meaningfully address gun control, criminal justice reform, etc. He campaigned as this progressive force for change and delivered almost none of that promised change.

I think that he is a decent, good person, about as decent as anyone can be. And I think wielding the power of the office of president is extremely difficult. But he didn't actually accomplish all that much beyond the ACA that actually progressed society forward or solved long-standing issues in our country...and the progressive movement that has been rekindled in this country in the last few years has arisen largely in response to his failures to deliver substantive, meaningful societal change.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
It's more that the negatives outweigh the positives. Like I'm not sure the positives Obama did actually outweigh the negatives. In terms of foreign policy he was pretty terrible and responsible for the destabilization of multiple countries, the deaths of thousands from drone strikes and millions from conducted by supported materially by the US. The Iran deal was generally good (but didn't last) and the Paris Climate Accords were also generally good (also didn't last)...but those don't outweigh the mass amount of death and destruction. And he did not HAVE to embark on this campaign of mass drone strikes.

Domestically, he achieved the ACA, which was better than the previous status quo but not really enough to meaningfully address the problem of healthcare in this country. He deported millions of immigrants. He vastly expanded the surveillance state, violated the civil liberties of millions of Americans, then demonized the whistleblower who revealed this to the public. He also allowed for the blatant islamaphobia in our country, law enforcement, and intelligence communities to continue unabated and with little challenge. He did little to meaningfully address gun control, criminal justice reform, etc. He campaigned as this progressive force for change and delivered almost none of that promised change.

I think that he is a decent, good person, about as decent as anyone can be. And I think wielding the power of the office of president is extremely difficult. But he didn't actually accomplish all that much beyond the ACA that actually progressed society forward or solved long-standing issues in our country...and the progressive movement that has been rekindled in this country in the last few years has arisen largely in response to his failures to deliver substantive, meaningful societal change.

Obama was a good man who did not have the right resources at his beck and call to fulfil his ambitions, I think this aspect has influenced how you view him. I'm not saying your wrong about the various criticisms you've bought up, there is a lot of meat there which were terrible and shouldn't have occurred. What this fails to address is that when he did try to overturn the status quo for the good too many times he was overruled by forces outside his control. This is where congress really fucks him over. Many of the things that didn't last are on Trumps' head and, like I said, congress. He had to rely on executive orders far too much since the usual channels were denied to him to make then stick. Not even Bill Clinton dealt with opposition like Obama did and the voters gladly handed them the power to do that.

ACA was made strictly because that was the best the Democrats could accomplish at that moment, what you're asking for wasn't possible when he was president and it's gotten worse since. They thought what they had there was worth it then staying wth the status quo, and I think they made the right decision. Obama needed politicians like Lieberman to get that far and he wasn't interested in what you're wanting for health care - it's why the Democrats turned on him and he got exiled from the party.

With immigrants he did deport millions of people, he did this with those who crossed illegally - America's not a boundary less state where everyone can come in. No country in the world does that to my knowledge. What he did do reform the system so it was laser focused on the real criminals and made opportunities for those who crossed over illegally but who were law abiding had viable options to become citizens, like DACA and DREAM Act. Would I have preferred he shut down ICE? Yeah, but I don't think that was available to Obama since he'd need congress approval.

America has endless issues which require fixing, like gun control and the intelligence communities (which people step on tip toes around for a reason - nobody wants to anger spies for obvious reasons), which again could have been done more about had he had the resources available from congress. This is why a lot of his goals got derailed, and what people missed about his message when he got elected. He needed all of us to move congress and we failed him routinely with this task.

Obama did promise change, but it was change on a scale he wasn't able to attain and the American people didn't truly want to solve by backing him with the power to do it. Like all politicians he is limited by what congress gives him, that's not all on him. That's on all of us. This is not a problem a Great Man can solve by himself, it requires all of us to do it - that was his message that went over peoples heads.

What's disappointing is how much many of the left who lived during Obama's terms forgot how strong the opposition he had and that the man couldn't get a condiment on a hotdog without getting shat on as though he killed someone by the right wing. Instead his actions are looked at as though he did everything by his own choice and he liked every single second of it. Was he a flawed president and his actions in places like the Middle East deserve scrutiny? Yes. That's what it's like being POTUS, the job comes with unpleasant realities and not everyone has answers to keeping their hands clean.

Obama did fight back against Islamophobia.

Last edited:

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Between slavery, taking indigenous people's land, jim crow and institutional racism, we have never had a "good" one. Obama was the best we ever had, however.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

"The" villain is a bit of hyperbole.

American imperialism isn't not good, but to single out the US given other shit that's clearly worse is not really a fair characterization.

Cieviz

Jan 11, 2018
Don't we have a list of how many people each president has killed?
So at least we have some sort of ranking where we can start of...

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
Objectively? None. You'll find every US President did something bad. FDR, for example, did a lot of good for this country but, well, Japanese internment camps has been a big shame in this country's history. There's just different levels of horrible. Trump being the worst but Reagan and Andrew Jackson being other horrible ones. You just have to accept people aren't saints and made mistakes. I still think Obama was one of our better ones despite his mistakes.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Don't we have a list of how many people each president has killed?
So at least we have some sort of ranking where we can start of...

Killing isn't a helpful measure in itself, sometimes it's required and every president has a military and police who will kill people good and bad. Let's take Franklin Delano Roosevelt, the US president during WW II. It could be argued he committed war crimes for Dresden but should America have stayed isolationist during that time period? I don't think so.

Deleted member 7130

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The" villain is a bit of hyperbole.

American imperialism isn't not good, but to single out the US given other shit that's clearly worse is not really a fair characterization.
Good thing I don't reserve my criticisms just for America. My comment comes more from a place of "You know all that bad stuff that all those bad places do? We do it too, because we are the baddies (too)."

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
They'd better not fucking Reagan him. I don't know if I'll be able to handle a future where people pretend he was one of the greats.

I doubt it happens with Trump. But you should already be pissed that it's already basically happened to Dubya. If Trump admin goes down in flames, expect Dubya to get even more shine put on him, and most likely aided heavily by Democrats in an attempt to restore "order" and make sure the status quo doesn't crumble in Trump's wake.

Dubya has already been rehabilitated in the media which is impressive considering he's a legit war criminal and his lies led to the deaths of millions and a forever conflict until climate change makes it meaningless. So all he needs to get Reagonized is that "well his policies were actually great and it was society and angry Dems and the godless that failed him" push.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Non US citizen, from what I have been exposed to, it seems JFK, BF, JC, AL and BO are highly regarded by Americans

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it happens with Trump. But you should already be pissed that it's already basically happened to Dubya. If Trump admin goes down in flames, expect Dubya to get even more shine put on him, and most likely aided heavily by Democrats in an attempt to restore "order" and make sure the status quo doesn't crumble in Trump's wake.

Dubya has already been rehabilitated in the media which is impressive considering he's a legit war criminal and his lies led to the deaths of millions and a forever conflict until climate change makes it meaningless. So all he needs to get Reagonized is that "well his policies were actually great and it was society and angry Dems and the godless that failed him" push.
Great, now you've reminded me of another terrible thing Obama did. Forgiving the sins of the previous administration was a horrific precedent to push.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Great, now you've reminded me of another terrible thing Obama did. Forgiving the sins of the previous administration was a horrific precedent to push.

It's not a new thing, just remember whenever a powerful person gets forgiven for his crimes, even Jefferson Davis, president of the confederacy only did a few years in captivity and then lived a free and peaceful life after doing his part in instigating the American civil war.

Oct 25, 2017
People actually mentioning Obama?

Lol..people love their terrorist presidents with smiles I guess.

There is no good president, certainly not in the last century at least.

Last edited:

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a new thing, just remember whenever a powerful person gets forgiven for his crimes, even Jefferson Davis, president of the confederacy only did a few years in captivity and then lived a free and peaceful life after doing his part in instigating the American civil war.
I know it's not new. My issue was continuing the trend.

Oct 25, 2017
Worst thing is if you say obama is a murderer, people assume you support trump, but both are genociders.
If that's the first thoughts they have when someone calls Obama what he is, then they can sincerely fuck off.
They're privileged enough to believe he's good. People just love rehabilitating their presidents and excusing their behaviour abroad.
Because the rest of the world might as well be political playthings only to be used when convenient.
Fuck Obama.

Well if you ignore all the bad stuff he's actually good. It's called nuance you see!
Lmao, right? This is literally how they excuse his crimes.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Maybe its time America abolished the Presidency and moved to a more democratic proportionally represented parliament system? Stop giving so much power to a single person and encouraging a two party behaviour?

Cause it sounds in the end there is not much difference between a US President and a European pre-WW1 monarchy except the election bit.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
Bill Clinton, my fat digits and small keyboard. BC is what I meant to type.

Bill is a weird one. He was president during arguably the greatest economic growth period in America history, but also had a vindictive Republican Congress that forced him to the right which is rough because his default was the center. Obama did a much better job handling his vindictive Republican Congress, though to be fair we still don't have nearly as much time to see what his legacy is.

nafta, don't ask/don't tell, and the jail reform bill hurt a lot of people due to horrible foresight, he passed legislation that contributed directly to the 2008 housing crash and of course the Monica Lewinsky affair.

It's been 20 years since he was president and it's hard to decide if his legacy of bad compromises with Congress is a product of the time period he was the President of or if the those bad compromises was a product of his inability to commit.

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Bill is a weird one. He was president during arguably the greatest economic growth period in America history, but also had a vindictive Republican Congress that forced him to the right which is rough because his default was the center. Obama did a much better job handling his vindictive Republican Congress, though to be fair we still don't have nearly as much time to see what his legacy is.

nafta, don't ask/don't tell, and the jail reform bill hurt a lot of people due to horrible foresight, he passed legislation that contributed directly to the 2008 housing crash and of course the Monica Lewinsky affair.

It's been 20 years since he was president and it's hard to decide if his legacy of bad compromises with Congress is a product of the time period he was the President of or if the those bad compromises was a product of his inability to commit.
Very informative

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
The 90's has better economic growth than under FDR? Also obama just let Congress throw out the public option for Obamacare and let Congress withhold a Supreme Court seat without a fight. Obama didn't have much control over Congress

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
There is a certain level of privilege, disposition and ass kissing required to even become President so chances are they will always be narcissists and sociopaths lol. That said some are obviously worse than others. Obama was pretty reasonable and one of the better ones imo but overall most of them are terrible people.

Dec 16, 2017
The president is forced to choose the least harmful choice more frequently than the usual person. Obama did a good job of attempting to be logical and minimize harm given that he was one person.

Oct 25, 2017
The president is forced to choose the least harmful choice more frequently than the usual person. Obama did a good job of attempting to be logical and minimize harm given that he was one person.
giphy.gif

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
There has been quite a few good Presidents imo.
The last great one though was probably Teddy Roosevelt, we needed to keep breaking up monopolies, if you look over to the USSR around the same time, even Lenin realised you didn't really need to go full on communist in the end, just keep the big corps in check, his new economy policy was solid, thanks Stalin for fucking it up & creating a massive red scare, so another Roosevelt appearing would just be called a "commie"

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Obama. I've lived through five presidents, I think (without Googling), and he was the most effective, the most intelligent, and most graceful.

However, it's not without reservations. I really disliked how milquetoast he was at times (like not using using a recess to appoint Merrick Garland when McConnell stone walled him) or how willing he was to escalate surveillance of American citizens and drone bombing in other countries (though I admit I know less than zero percent what he knew about foreign and domestic threats, I just don't like the ideas of it).